Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:39:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain release ether and new miners.  (Read 614 times)
AIhash (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 09:38:12 AM
Last edit: March 10, 2018, 02:43:56 PM by AIhash

I knew it was fishy when I stared to get $450 bitmain coupons. At least we have some idea of a time frame. Outside of just random wishing.

“Bitmain, which has already been supplying mining ASICs for Bitcoin in the past several years and is one of the top-5 clients of TSMC, is ready to release ASIC products for mining the cryptocurrency Ether in April at the earliest. The products are expected to shore up the performances of related upstream suppliers including TSMC, Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) and Global Unichip (GUC).”

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180308PD207.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Eternu

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 10:54:53 AM

That was expected to happen in near future. I guess it is good also, because it will bring down prices of GPU's, gamers will be happy about that.
But honestly, I am not sure what to think about Ethereum ASIC miners. If Ethereum becomes PoS, I don't see reason why someone would buy those miners. It would mean capturing their investment... but I guess that would also depend on Miners price on start.
Raymond_B

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2018, 09:24:47 PM

That was expected to happen in near future. I guess it is good also, because it will bring down prices of GPU's, gamers will be happy about that.
But honestly, I am not sure what to think about Ethereum ASIC miners. If Ethereum becomes PoS, I don't see reason why someone would buy those miners. It would mean capturing their investment... but I guess that would also depend on Miners price on start.

One wrinkle in the PoS movement, regulation. There's already speculation that PoS coins could be considered a security due to paying "dividends". Obviously this is all conjecture, but it *could* affect PoS as an alternative to PoW.

Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 09:42:04 PM

Just more rumors without substance or foundation. They also didn't get the memo Scrypt mining with GPU's hasen't been a thing since at least 2015. LOL.

ASICs' growing presence in the cryptocurrency sector is a challenge to the mining practice using graphics cards supplied by Nvidia, AMD and related brand vendors, which have been catering mostly to Ether and Litecoin mining.
big al

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 10:06:54 PM

So does the bottom fall out when these Ether miners saturate the market?  Everyone will move to other less profitable coins and those will fall out too.
fvineyard

Activity: 135
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 10:10:39 PM

This was bound to happen eventually. I thought the devs could change the code so that any asics produced are no longer effective. True?
Spill

Activity: 94
Merit: 5

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 10:14:09 PM

Judging how the difficulty for etherium has 2x in the past 2 months when were having a massive
shortage of GPU's, the Fact that bitmain is a 3 billion dollar company(Same as NVIDA).   I'm guessing Bitmain has been selling
them already to their big commercial company's for that past 2 months already.  I  would start holding off on buying any
new gpus. Cry
Spill

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 10:18:31 PM

So does the bottom fall out when these Ether miners saturate the market?  Everyone will move to other less profitable coins and those will fall out too.

Yes it will unfortunately.  Shocked  Or at least until Vitalik Buterin figures out how to modify the pow algo to make these things expensive
heaters like the guys on monero are doing to the cryptonite ASCIS at the end of this month.
smoolae

Activity: 602
Merit: 106

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 10:31:04 PM

Tongue I hope Ethereum quickly moves to POS in order to get away from ASIC rape. But if I understand it correctly, you would be able to mine any Ethash coin with it (Like you can mine Scrypt coins with L3)

Johny101010

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 12:42:00 AM

I knew it was fishy when I stared to get $450 bitmain coupons. At least we have some idea of a time frame. Outside of just random wishing.

“Bitmain, which has already been supplying mining ASICs for Bitcoin in the past several years and is one of the top-5 clients of TSMC, is ready to release ASIC products for mining the cryptocurrency Ether in April at the earliest. The products are expected to shore up the performances of related upstream suppliers including TSMC, Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE) and Global Unichip (GUC).”

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180308PD207.html

So let me get this right. The 7nm chips start masive production in June. The author implies that those are the chips for the eth ASIC. But the miners can come as early as April? Ahhhhhh?
And the yields are so great that TSMC will be about to provide Apple, NVIDIA AND Bitmain with a new process?
#mathishard
#domathnotmeth

AIhash (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 03:29:15 AM

So it seems that they could find enough memory chips for this memory hungry ETHASH algo ? ? ?  Grin

Bullshit !

You have a really good point!!’
Suslived

Activity: 252
Merit: 13

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 03:47:44 AM

FAKE NEWS. Monica Chen, the writer of the article, is doing nothing better than speculating.

Why? She never even quoted any source. It all came from her mouth. If it was legitimate should would have added, "according to bitmain reps.."

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 07:49:06 AM

speed other specs? probably on par wih gpu
stash2coin

Activity: 108
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 08:01:15 AM

Bitmain, which has already been supplying mining ASICs for Bitcoin in the past several years and is one of the top-5 clients of TSMC, is ready to release ASIC products for mining the cryptocurrency Ether in April at the earliest.

Well at least we wont have to wait much in April-May will see if this is true or not. Cheesy

Bitmain took over Bitcoin mining, the next logical step for them is to take over the second largest crypto coin Ethereum. This will drive the price of ethereum higher good time now to invest in ethereums or not. Cheesy
phuocduong

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 08:35:06 AM

maybe fake news, in website bitman no have new miner Cheesy
Miningtry

Activity: 96

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 11:10:20 AM

maybe fake news, in website bitman no have new miner Cheesy

Until they sell all their obsolete like (D3 now for 550$ in future S9 below 1k$) you will not see new minere.
Sr.Urbanist

Activity: 315
Merit: 120

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 09:35:00 PM

Tongue I hope Ethereum quickly moves to POS in order to get away from ASIC rape. But if I understand it correctly, you would be able to mine any Ethash coin with it (Like you can mine Scrypt coins with L3)

Mining provides an "objective truth".  In a proof-of-stake system, you are more-or-less trusting central code without external objectivity.   
Atomicc

Activity: 301
Merit: 31

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 12:49:18 AM

Yes it will unfortunately.  Shocked  Or at least until Vitalik Buterin figures out how to modify the pow algo to make these things expensive
heaters like the guys on monero are doing to the cryptonite ASCIS at the end of this month.

Most of cryptonight coins will  probably follow Monero ... and make successful conversion of Baikal units to "exclusive noisy heaters....powered by ASIC"  Grin
Spill

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 03:55:58 AM

speed other specs? probably on par wih gpu

The specs are 710 to 730 m/h for only 850 -950 watts.   And the way eth difficulty has been
rising pretty sure these are already working the network.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: