Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:20:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTCjam: crowdfunding a KNCminer Saturn  (Read 784 times)
soylent green (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 03:31:03 PM

https://btcjam.com/listings/7189

I realize the requirements for requesting a loan on BTCjam are less stringent than what's suggested in the FAQ for this subforum, but I chose to use that platform because it has both feedback and moderation- I thought those features might increase investor confidence.

As noted in the loan comments at the bottom of the page, I have been depositing my own BTC income as well- I have skin in this game, I'm not just expecting everyone else to buy a miner for me.

I'm happy to answer any questions ITT.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
soylent green (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 03:52:59 AM

Wow- no feedback at all? I spent all day out shooting clays and I was expecting a flood of negative comments when I returned.  Grin

I guess if there's not enough interest I'll continue saving my coins and make a different purchase in a couple months when other hardware is close to shipping.
antho

Activity: 26

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 08:05:59 AM

how to Verify myaccount ?
naphto

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 04:03:56 PM

Good luck with your loan, but can we trust you?
soylent green (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:25:01 PM

I'd like to think so. As I am an engineer at Bitpay, defaulting on this loan would reflect very poorly on the company, and probably cost me my job. The output of a KNCMiner Saturn is not at all worth that risk.

Thanks for the well wishes. I will pay in one more deposit from my "pyramidhead" account later today, but unless I get similar contributions from others in the next few hours, it looks like this isn't going to happen.

Que sera- experiments don't always work, but it's important to try Smiley
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 11:22:50 PM

I'd like to think so. As I am an engineer at Bitpay, defaulting on this loan would reflect very poorly on the company, and probably cost me my job. The output of a KNCMiner Saturn is not at all worth that risk.

We already had a scammer (Hydroponica) use his employment as security for a loan.  Guess what?  He still defaulted.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
soylent green (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 12:01:55 AM

We already had a scammer (Hydroponica) use his employment as security for a loan.  Guess what?  He still defaulted.

Well, moot point now, with 10min left and myself the only major buy-in- but I am pretty damned sure Tony and Stephen would tell me to hit the bricks if I did *anything* to paint the company in a negative light. I feel very lucky to have landed a job at Bitpay and have been working quite hard for them.

I don't know the story on Hydroponica. But I would have to be a massive idiot to jeopardize my employment on a loan that only represents about one month of gross income. As mentioned in the loan listing, Bitpay pays part of my salary in BTC- talk about killing the goose...

The idea behind crowdfunding this purchase was to distribute the output of at least one ASIC miner, because it bugs me a little bit how much mining power has been concentrated in the hands of relatively few.

Suggestions on what I can do to increase confidence in the meantime?

Ideas:
- I own two motorcycles worth more than the requested loan amount. Could use them as collateral.
- I've never been very active on the forums; I will change that. (I wish I'd had enough liquid BTC to buy that Ducati that was FS a few weeks ago.)
- I'll try a smaller loan amount next time; going from 1BTC to 30 probably did play a hand in scaring people off; I thought putting in ~4.5BTC of my own would alleviate those concerns but appears not.

You're not wrong to be suspicious- I got taken for .25BTC from a bad borrower on BTCjam myself.

But I left this thread open for any questions anyone wanted to ask- asking the kind of questions that represent vetting a borrower would be more appropriate than just saying "this one guy was a scammer so you are too".
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2013, 12:25:36 AM

- I'll try a smaller loan amount next time; going from 1BTC to 30 probably did play a hand in scaring people off; I thought putting in ~4.5BTC of my own would alleviate those concerns but appears not.

That's just going from 1BTC to 25.5BTC with no collateral. 

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
soylent green (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 12:30:33 AM

That's just going from 1BTC to 25.5BTC with no collateral. 

Once again- I am asking for constructive criticism here.

As I said, I have two motorcycles, together worth more than the loan amount, that I would have used as collateral, had somebody asked.

Do you have any suggestions I haven't already put forth myself?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: