Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:32:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Fed fed Elites  (Read 2524 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 04:26:42 PM

http://sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/news/?id=9e2a4ea8-6e73-4be2-a753-62060dcbb3c3
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2011, 04:56:57 PM

<stomach hurts>

Adam

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 05:03:16 PM

$16 trillion!
To give you an idea of how much 16 trillion is, I cant give you an idea of how much 16 trillion is.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
spruce

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 05:09:09 PM

$16 trillion!
To give you an idea of how much 16 trillion is, I cant give you an idea of how much 16 trillion is.

Imagine a sugar cube, one cm on a side. It comes in a cubic box 10cm on a side, 1000 in a box.

Stack the boxes up in a cube, 10x10x10, or 100cm (1 meter) on a side, and you've got a million sugar cubes.

A cube 10 meters on a side and you've got a billion sugar cubes.

A cube 100 meters on a side and you've got a trillion sugar cubes.

A block 400 meters on a side and 100 meters high and you've got 16 trillion.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 05:15:16 PM

$16 trillion!

Imagine a sugar cube, one cm on a side. It comes in a cubic box 10cm on a side, 1000 in a box.

Stack the boxes up in a cube, 10x10x10, or 100cm (1 meter) on a side, and you've got a million sugar cubes.

thats alot of sugar cubes.
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 05:16:25 PM

1e12 can buy 3.3e7, 3e4 cars. that is about 4% of the estimated 7e8 cars on the road today.

nostrum

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 05:33:50 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2011, 06:01:20 PM by nostrum

$16 trillion!

All I know is that it would be more than enough to pay off the US national debt  Roll Eyes

If you always think in categories you will miss the bigger picture.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Public GPG: 04351826
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 05:36:54 PM

$16 trillion!

All I know is that it would be more than enough to pay of the US national debt  Roll Eyes

the figure i remember offhand is that 12T would've paid off every mortgage in America.

Ellen Brown in a recent podcast said that 12T also was enough to pay off all state debt in America.

just imagine if all that dead weight was allowed to be purged from the system.  no doubt it would have been bad but we'd be coming out of it right about now in a full fledged recovery.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2011, 05:37:42 PM

$16 trillion!

All I know is that it would be more than enough to pay of the US national debt  Roll Eyes

foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 05:40:06 PM

$16 trillion!

I believe you have just cornered the sugar market.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2011, 06:43:41 PM

$16 trillion!

To give you an idea of how much $16 trillion is... imagine every man, woman, and child in the US having $53,000 in their bank account, then put all those bank accounts together.

Or imagine every single Chinese person being owed about $12,300

Or imagine everyone in US having to pay $562 a month for ten years straight to pay off that loan at 5% interest.

It's A LOT, but not A LOT when compared to the scale of a whole country.

Also, do note they are "loans" not "grants." It's a bailout, but it's not a giveaway, and as we already know, has actually ended up being somewhat profitable for the government (repaid interest)

Question, though.
"No agency of the United States government should be allowed to bailout a foreign bank or corporation without the direct approval of Congress and the president," Sanders said.

Also, this part doesn't really make much sense...
Sanders said one thing already is abundantly clear. "The Federal Reserve must be reformed to serve the needs of working families, not just CEOs on Wall Street."
...since working families don't have the credit rating or substantial assets to qualify for such high volume, low interest loans  Undecided

I thought the fed was an independent entity, not a federal agency?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 06:54:27 PM

Also, do note they are "loans" not "grants." It's a bailout, but it's not a giveaway, and as we already know, has actually ended up being somewhat profitable for the government (repaid interest)

http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/h41/current/h41.htm#h41tab9

it is a giveaway initially disguised as a loan.  instead we've bought them outright.

that column called "Repurchase agreements" says zero.  this is where "loans" would've gone.
compro01

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 07:14:47 PM

The OMG!  16 TRILLION IN LOANS!!!!!!   is outright dishonest reporting and political grandstanding.

the 16 trillion number is the total of all loans, including overnight loans (which are exactly what they sound like.  they're repaid the next day).  it's like saying i loaned you $1000 if i actually loaned you $125 each day, which you repaid in the morning.

the most loaned at any time was a bit more than 1 trillion.

furthermore, if one takes a moment to go look at page 4 of the actual report, practically all have been repaid in full, with about 57 billion still outstanding.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 07:31:16 PM

Wait, so the money is gone or are they gonna get it back with interests?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 07:34:57 PM

The OMG!  16 TRILLION IN LOANS!!!!!!   is outright dishonest reporting and political grandstanding.

the 16 trillion number is the total of all loans, including overnight loans (which are exactly what they sound like.  they're repaid the next day).  it's like saying i loaned you $1000 if i actually loaned you $125 each day, which you repaid in the morning.

furthermore, if one takes a moment to go look at page 4 of the actual report, practically all have been repaid in full, with about 57 billion still outstanding.

thats BS.  explain this:

http://www.research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?chart_type=line&s[1][id]=EXCRESNS&s[1][range]=5yrs

these are "banks" excess reserves gotten from the bailout money which has NOT been paid back.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2011, 09:59:11 PM

The OMG!  16 TRILLION IN LOANS!!!!!!   is outright dishonest reporting and political grandstanding.

the 16 trillion number is the total of all loans, including overnight loans (which are exactly what they sound like.  they're repaid the next day).  it's like saying i loaned you $1000 if i actually loaned you $125 each day, which you repaid in the morning.

thats BS.  explain this:

http://www.research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?chart_type=line&s[1][id]=EXCRESNS&s[1][range]=5yrs

these are "banks" excess reserves gotten from the bailout money which has NOT been paid back.

Where does it say that this money is money borrowed from the government, and not owned the banks themselves, which the banks are keeping in excess of their own required reserves, simply because the Fed apparently pays them interest for that now? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_reserves
oOoOo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 10:29:41 PM

If that "loan" was in bitcoins, to lend out $16tr, each coin would have a value of $2,326,376.0151 USD. (as of July 23th 2011; with a supply of 6.877.650 coins)

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 11:34:06 PM

thats BS.  explain this:

Where does it say that this money is money borrowed from the government, and not owned the banks themselves, which the banks are keeping in excess of their own required reserves, simply because the Fed apparently pays them interest for that now? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_reserves

i don't quite understand your English but these excess reserves plus required reserves make up the monetary base as defined in the Wiki link you provided.  the Fred graph i provided to you says the excess reserves total 16T which is about the amount the Sanders article was talking about and represents money printed by the Fed and given to the banks in exchange for subrprime loans, CDS, commercial loans, and other assorted toxic crap.

if you look at that Fed balance sheet if these were "loans" as you claim they would be categorized as "Repurchase Agreements".  note that they aren't and the balance is zero.  i believe this toxic crap in buried in the "Securities Held Outright" and in categories like Maiden Lane, TALF, Aurora, ALICO holdings.
The_JMiner

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 12:00:30 AM

http://www.wtfnoway.com/

Here you go, a visualization of trillions of dollars in 100$ bills.

ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 02:29:05 AM

http://www.wtfnoway.com/

Here you go, a visualization of trillions of dollars in 100$ bills.

i like

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: