Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:23:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin propaganda QR-Code  (Read 16569 times)
JohnnyCashout

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 06:43:30 AM

Too bad this is released as non-commercial, how can anyone put it on stickers, shirts etc?  They would have to give them away for free?   No incentive to do so.  Can someone make a similiar but original work and release it public domain?  I like the one marcusaurelius did in this thread as pub domain but I prefer the 'dots' in the OP's image

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 07:07:44 AM

Too bad this is released as non-commercial, how can anyone put it on stickers, shirts etc?  They would have to give them away for free?   No incentive to do so.  Can someone make a similiar but original work and release it public domain?  I like the one marcusaurelius did in this thread as pub domain but I prefer the 'dots' in the OP's image

Depends on how you (and phelix) reads the license. I read it as you're not allowed to use the QR-code itself for commercial gain, but if it's just part something else and that something else is what has the value you're charging for I don't see how that would be against the license.

E.g. white t-shirt without QR-code $10 and with QR-code $20 wouldn't be ok. Print t-shirt without QR-code $20 and with QR-code $20 would be.

Other opinions? I admit to being a huge fan of CC licenses and the topic of what constitutes NC or non-NC comes up regularly among us who use it.

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Defining_Noncommercial

Especially this comment from Lessig himself should be relevant to this case: http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2008-02-07-n77.html

(The best thing would of course be for phelix to add his intentions to the OP)
JohnnyCashout

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 07:22:07 AM

E.g. white t-shirt without QR-code $10 and with QR-code $20 wouldn't be ok. Print t-shirt without QR-code $20 and with QR-code $20 would be.

I like this interpretation, now what if I sell a $20 t-shirt with the QR code, and a blank shirt of the same price, but I don't advertise or list this theoretical $20 shirt without the QR code on my site, but agree to sell the blank shirt at the same price if someone requested it?

(The best thing would of course be for phelix to add his intentions to the OP)

yes, please.
defxor

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 07:43:33 AM

I like this interpretation, now what if I sell a $20 t-shirt with the QR code, and a blank shirt of the same price, but I don't advertise or list this theoretical $20 shirt without the QR code on my site, but agree to sell the blank shirt at the same price if someone requested it?

Creative Commons is a child of the attribution economy spearheaded amongst others by the Open Source community. (Some of Lessig's better known books are a good read on that subject). Attribution and OSS licenses are closely related to intention, as can be seen when someone slips up on an Open Source license violation. If it wasn't by intention, the community is fine with it. If it was intentionally, hell breaks loose.

So. If your intention is to just sell phelix' QR-code on an otherwise blank t-shirt, and that is your business idea, my opinion would be that you would be in violation of the CC license.

If your business is in selling something else and the QR-code is just added to advertise or to explain Bitcoin, I'd consider that to be ok.

(IANAL, but they do ask me for CC and OSS license explanations)
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 07:44:31 AM

this image crashed zxing's barcode scanner for android Cheesy

it was seeing markers everywhere and couldn't figure out what to read.
BitVapes

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 09:46:03 AM
Last edit: September 19, 2011, 09:05:09 PM by BitVapes

check these out, I'd love to see a bitcoin QR code like these

Buy Electronic Cigarettes with Bitcoin @ http://bitvapes.com
payb.tc

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 09:54:38 AM

zxing's android scanner couldn't read #1 or #4.

#5 goes to http://qrlicious.com which i'm now going to visit...
BitVapes

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 10:07:08 AM

FWIW my android phone w/ barcode scanner reads them all.  It helps to hold it back a couple feet from the monitor so the QR code doesn't take up much of the barcode scanner screen, you want the details to sort of blur together

payb.tc

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 10:15:50 AM

FWIW my android phone w/ barcode scanner reads them all.  It helps to hold it back a couple feet from the monitor so the QR code doesn't take up much of the barcode scanner screen, you want the details to sort of blur together

yeah that's what i thought too... but the problem is zxing then gets confused by markers that are in the adjacent QR codes.

edit: finally did get it to read all of them eventually.
SuperTramp
Legendary

Activity: 1073

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 11:28:11 AM

for those who want to print it on a billboard, i put up a vector version:

http://ma.eatgold.com/btc/qr-sticker.pdf [PDF, 14kb]

Dam, that was intense.

MincoinForum, Home Of The World's Fastest & Rarest Cryptocurrency. https://www.mincoinforum.com
Only 10million Mincoin To Be Created. Find out more at https://www.mincoin.us
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 08:53:13 PM

Creative Commons is a child of the attribution economy spearheaded amongst others by the Open Source community. (Some of Lessig's better known books are a good read on that subject). Attribution and OSS licenses are closely related to intention, as can be seen when someone slips up on an Open Source license violation. If it wasn't by intention, the community is fine with it. If it was intentionally, hell breaks loose.

So. If your intention is to just sell phelix' QR-code on an otherwise blank t-shirt, and that is your business idea, my opinion would be that you would be in violation of the CC license.

If your business is in selling something else and the QR-code is just added to advertise or to explain Bitcoin, I'd consider that to be ok.

(IANAL, but they do ask me for CC and OSS license explanations)

That is the way I felt, so I used the work made by marcusaurelius for all of my products.  I gave away a few hundred of them at the BitCoin NYC conference as well as sold a good number and they got out there!

The NC attribution on the OP's work precluded me from selling it at any price unless it was very clear that I made zero profit on it. 

deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 01:45:17 AM

I like the op's orignal QR if he could provide one suitable for the posters i'm printing linking to we use coins i'd greatly apprecate it

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
dayfall

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 18, 2011, 02:24:11 AM

Very nice QR code! However, I hated that little square, so I changed it to dots. Probably a violation of QR design, but still readable with my CodeUp mobile phone SW!

BTW, do you have the original image in vector format (or bitmap with higher DPI?)

You should be able to change the large squares to dots also.  I think the lack of timing dots is what is causing the biggest problems.  QRdroid finds the squares but then gives up.

phelix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 05:32:58 PM

I am working on a new code with some readability and style improvements. Will release a version linking to weusecoins.com

Would you prefer a CC-BY-SA license? With a small and light 90° rotated URL on the right side?
phelix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 05:35:06 PM

Very nice QR code! However, I hated that little square, so I changed it to dots. Probably a violation of QR design, but still readable with my CodeUp mobile phone SW!

BTW, do you have the original image in vector format (or bitmap with higher DPI?)

You should be able to change the large squares to dots also.  I think the lack of timing dots is what is causing the biggest problems.  QRdroid finds the squares but then gives up.

you really should not change the position markers dots. some scanners just can not cope with it.
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2011, 08:51:39 PM

I am working on a new code with some readability and style improvements. Will release a version linking to weusecoins.com

Would you prefer a CC-BY-SA license? With a small and light 90° rotated URL on the right side?

I would not be able to put any attribution on a sticker, it would not fit, or would be to small to read.  I do give attribution on my store to the creator

"Design by marcusaurelius on the bitcointalk.org forum. " even though none is required by it being put in the public domain.  

I would be interested in printing some stuff that links to weusecoins.com

defxor

View Profile
September 19, 2011, 10:31:37 PM

even though none is required by it being put in the public domain

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2011, 11:48:52 PM

even though none is required by it being put in the public domain

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/

So what is not clear to me.  If I am using an item that is under the  very open license CC BY, and I am going to PRINT a sticker of it....
How do I give attribution?  Does anything need to be on the sticker?   Or are these licenses really not designed for anything outside of the web and do not make sense in world of physical printing?

BitVapes

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2011, 06:37:05 AM

How do I give attribution?  Does anything need to be on the sticker?   Or are these licenses really not designed for anything outside of the web and do not make sense in world of physical printing?

maybe you can print a little attribution note with your inkjet and stick it in the package with the stickers

defxor

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 06:47:33 AM

The difference between CC and Public Domain. Your creativity when it comes to giving the license-required attribution doesn't in any way affect the product's license status.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: