Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:03:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unknown Encryption Key  (Read 148 times)
Southpaw17 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 05:32:46 PM

Hi everyone, sorry if this isn't the right place for this, but I've been unable to reach out to the email addresses provided by Bitcoin Armory's website, as they are coming back as unreachable.

I've been using Armory for a couple months now and I've just recently gone to spend some BTC from the addresses it maintains.  When I went to do so, Armory asked me for a password to unlock the keys.  It would seem the wallet is encrypted and I need a key to unlock it.  I've never set a password and I've already tried all the passwords I might have used in such a situation but to no avail.  Now all my BTC is locked and I don't have any way of accessing them.

Is there anything I can do here?  I never created a paper back-up because I was waiting for my printer to be repaired.
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2018, 05:40:27 PM

You're probably checking the wrong web site. https://btcarmory.com/ is the correct address (and this forum and IRC are the best places to get help).

Anyway, if you honestly and truly can't remember the password, you'll need to use the backup you made when you first created the wallet. Save the old wallet to be safe, then delete it and restore the wallet from the backup. Be sure to upgrade to 0.96.4 RC3 first if you haven't already.

Good luck!
Southpaw17 (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 06:12:02 PM

The digital backup I have is also encrypted, it would seem.
droark

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2018, 06:17:49 PM

If you think your password is close and is off by just one or two characters, there is a script you can run that'll try to recover the password via brute force. Other than that, you're SOL until you remember the password. This is exactly why we recommend unencrypted paper backups.
Southpaw17 (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 01:05:26 PM

Just so you know, I was able to recover my password using the script you mentioned thanks to some help from the IRC channel.  Thanks again!
droark

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2018, 05:44:55 PM

Glad to hear it. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: