Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:02:50 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gambling Sites With Investment Functions: PLAYER & INVESTOR BEWARE  (Read 735 times)
Skinnkavaj (OP)

Activity: 469
Merit: 250

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 11:30:28 AM
Last edit: October 13, 2013, 05:07:33 PM by Skinnkavaj

The SEC will crack down on gambling sites with investment functions, if they offer investment options to US residents. Look at btct.co and bitfunder.com.

ANY site operating in ANY jurisdiction will be affected if they do not block investments to US residents, after requiring AML/KYC verification.

ESPECIALLY if the domain is .com which is US-owned.

Player And Investor Beware

EDIT: This post was done by a hacker that took control over my account. I had not changed my password on bitcointalk and I had an easy one. I have no regained control over the account. Ignore this post.

Zaih

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 12:15:10 PM

There shouldn't be any reason the site can't release the BTC though?
giantdragon
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 09:20:52 PM

It's time for JD to incorporate in Costa Rica and prevent US play/investing and change from .com
Preventing U.S. IP addresses is really stupid, FBI guys are not idiots don't aware about proxies. Think better about hosting and domain in U.S.-"unfriendly" jurisdiction like Russia (Liberty Reserve example have shown that Costa Rica isn't safe haven anymore).
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 10:25:28 AM

can someone confirm that creating a site with option to invest in shares and get paid dividends (all using only bitcoins) is indeed illegal? Or if dividends are paid with in game currency?

darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 11:43:20 AM

can someone confirm that creating a site with option to invest in shares and get paid dividends (all using only bitcoins) is indeed illegal? Or if dividends are paid with in game currency?

Offering shares of a business for sale in return for a share of future profits is going to be considered a stock offer or some other form of security in almost any jurisdiction in the world.  In this case, it will be unregistered and unlicensed.  As the pirateat40 case shows, at least in the United States, the SEC will consider this to be under its jurisdiction, and they almost certainly do have jurisdiction over such offers.  It probably isn't illegal to purchase such entities, but to offer them for sale probably breaks the law.

The other alternative is worse, though.  That is that the investors have inadvertently joined a partnership with the illegal business and would be personally on the hook for any legal liabilities the company racks up.  I think the former is more likely to be the case, though.
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 12:54:36 PM
Last edit: October 14, 2013, 01:17:04 PM by tutkarz

Offering shares of a business for sale in return for a share of future profits is going to be considered a stock offer or some other form of security in almost any jurisdiction in the world.  In this case, it will be unregistered and unlicensed.  As the pirateat40 case shows, at least in the United States, the SEC will consider this to be under its jurisdiction, and they almost certainly do have jurisdiction over such offers.  It probably isn't illegal to purchase such entities, but to offer them for sale probably breaks the law.

The other alternative is worse, though.  That is that the investors have inadvertently joined a partnership with the illegal business and would be personally on the hook for any legal liabilities the company racks up.  I think the former is more likely to be the case, though.

thx for answer. This is interesting because more and more games are offering their shares for fiat money (like in my sig) not only for bitcoins. People don't know legal implications or don't care about them.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: