Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:20:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why aren't the worlds richest people buying up all the coins?  (Read 6271 times)
Patel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 01:48:46 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2013, 05:53:10 PM by Patel

Hey guys,

Serious question here. Bitcoin has more awareness now than ever, but why aren't people like bill gates and warren buffet just buying all of the coins?

Do you ever wonder that? Like you would think they would be buying up all the coins, and the market cap would be tens of billions right now. Maybe they are going to war against Bitcoin?

A 51% attack controlled by opposition of Bitcoin would be fairly easy with the amount of resources these guys have.

Whats your opinion?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 01:50:58 PM

Why would they want BitCoins?

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
Patel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 01:52:08 PM

If their value will increase like everyone thinks, why wouldn't they? To get more wealthy
realcoin

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 02:00:43 PM
Last edit: October 13, 2013, 02:16:13 PM by realcoin

If their value will increase like everyone thinks, why wouldn't they? To get more wealthy

Bitcoin trading volume has reduced! Your assumption is wrong, that everyone thinks this and that. For "reach" (large volume) people is liquidity very important! If they cant sell anytime, they will not buy to much!

But why Bitcoin volume has reduced???

I am not "Realcoin REC"! There were no REC when I sign up the forum...
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 02:08:59 PM

Them buying the coins could drive the price up to the level that they wouldn't be able to afford.

The only feasible way they could do this would be by contacting large BTC holders and buying it directly from them, at the same time hoping none of them communicate with each other about this. But as large BTC holders are usually exchanges or businesses which manage other peoples' money, and with many people no longer having access to their wallets from 2009 or 2010, I doubt the richest would succeed in this endeavour.

Signature space available for rent.
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 02:09:58 PM

Clearly, not everyone thinks that. Especially not Warren Buffett and Bill Gates.

Really, with the amount of money they have, they can't make a meaningful investment in Bitcoins without completely distorting the price. So, they could buy in and push the price to $300, $500, or $1000, and it looks great on paper. But should they want to exit and enjoy that newfound wealth, selling out huge quantities would push the price back down to $120, $80 or even $40...

nanonano

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 02:11:45 PM

Serious question here. Bitcoin has more awareness now than ever, but why aren't people like bill gates and warren buffet just buying all of the coins?
Why aren't the same people buying all the gold, or any other thing that people typically invest in?

A 51% attack controlled by opposition of Bitcoin would be fairly easy with the amount of resources these guys have.
Not sure how this relates to the previous question but ... Whether it would be "easy" for them or not is not relevant -- the question is "what can they accomplish that would justify a spending lots and lots of resources?"

cowandtea

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 02:17:55 PM

Bitcoin trading volume has reduced! Your assumption is wrong, that everyone thinks this and that. For "reach" (large volume) people is liquidity very important! If they cant sell anytime, they will not buy to much!

You are using MtGox chart, that's why. People having withdrawal problem since few months back.

cowandtea

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 02:19:18 PM

Bitcoin is too risky for them, they rather invest in a company and sell stuff.

ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 04:27:31 PM

WRT Warren Buffet, I believe he wouldn't buy it since it's not a business.  The man has made his money by understanding and investing in businesses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett#As_a_millionaire

But I would expect various millionaires and possibly billionaires to be taking very small positions in BTC over the coming years.  I think people are still concerned it's a flash in the pan and/or a bubble.  As time goes on, and BTC continues to succeed, they will probably re-evaluate it.  The Winklevii are just the first of the elite to truly dive into BTC - there will be others.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 04:36:20 PM

Bitcoin is too risky for them, they rather invest in a company and sell stuff.

Traditional financial instruments are backed by force of law, and more and more the 'law' is owned by wealthy people.  So when one reaches a particular level of wealth one has a lot of flexibility and safety operating in settings like investment banks, hedge funds, etc.  Witness Jon Corzine for instance.

In contrast, Bitcoin is governed mainly be hard cold mathematics which are not conducive to graft.  Secondarily, Bitcoin is also governed by a broad userbase who chooses to run or not to run various software.  At this time a wealthy person has relatively little leverage to gain an advantage aside from the flexibility in timing and market manipulation that having a large wealth buffer provides.

Going forward, as Bitcoin grows and deals with scaling problems and various more far-sighted system manipulation schemes, it is entirely possible that individuals will have a more limited role in governing things.  At that point Bitcoin may offer a more compelling value proposition to the ultra-wealthy class of individuals.  Likely it will be most valuable as a utility which augments other systems which monitor and analyze individuals on a personal level.  If we are lucky such analysis will be limited mostly to figuring out how to sell us shit.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Nancarrow

Activity: 492

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 05:24:25 PM

Hey guys,

I see others have already explained to you how 'markets' work. Next up...

Whats your opinion?

... is finding out what the phrase '51% attack' actually means.

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
Pokerfan

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 05:38:15 PM

I will only sell my last coin for 1 billion USD (in today's value).
Maciek

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 07:53:28 PM

+1

very similar here:

I would actually sell my last btc for around 10 mln USD Smiley
ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 08:43:14 PM

You have not the slightest clue about Gates or Buffet, do you?

Maybe you would be still wanting more and more when you got billions but those two obv dont. And its very reasonable.

In fact Gates and Buffet are donating over 95% of their wealth for charitable trusts. Why should they always want more and more? Money stops being important once you pass an certain amount or do you really think that its tripple the fun to have three Ferraris instead of one?

I am pretty convinced that those two like Bitcoins.
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 10:43:00 PM

Remember that the volume is measured in BTC. If the value goes up people could trade the same in USD and the BTC volume will go down.
Baitty

Activity: 532

Currently held as collateral by monbux

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 11:01:03 PM

Least they can't buy all the coins. Because they haven't all been mined.

Currently held as collateral by monbux
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 12:23:17 AM

Hey guys,

Do you ever wonder that? Like you would think they would be buying up all the coins, and the market cap would be tens of billions right now. Maybe they are going to war against Bitcoin?

Whats your opinion?

So what if they do? We'll get rich because they'll be buying from us.
And not just Bitcoins, but all of these altcoins can be sold to rich people.

I don't mind. I welcome that. If any rich person would like to buy a million Bitcoins for a trillion dollars that would be the best form of stimulus package.
romerun
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 12:38:40 AM

'cause I won't sell mine to them even they offer all their fortune, it's still undervalue.
cowandtea

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 12:52:35 AM

I will sell mine only when it hit 1 trillion USD, now im richer then Warran Buffet Smiley, well everyone is...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: