Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:40:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you look for when investing in an ICO?  (Read 615 times)
Nevsky

Activity: 1064
Merit: 250

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2018, 12:39:52 PM

Hi everyone

New to this forum but I see a lot of veteran advice here. Lately I've been researching, tracking and dabbling in a ICOs. I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on ICOs, in general, and what your guidelines for investment might be. Note, this isn't a standard "should I invest in btc or X, Y or Z thread, but more of a place to share some strategies.

Personally I always start with the whitepaper and research it and its merit. If it sounds reasonable, I try to answer the question of "what problem does this ICO solve?" - is there a need for it, or, is it simply applying blockchain to some aspect of some industry for no real reason.

Finally, I look at the team. Have I heard of anyone, can I find them on twitter or LinkedIn, etc.

Anyone have other strategies they are willing to share? Looking forward to the discussion!
You do everything right friend. Everything listed by you makes sense, but I will say from my own experience that the team's notoriety does not always play a major role. There are many such examples. The same Stratis, for example. I look at the idea, the availability of a software product, and also see if the work is being done by the devs.

Thanks - I appreciate that. When you say team, do you put equal weight on the team as the listed advisors? I've seen lots of discussion regarding how much input an advisor may actually have on any given project.
As for me, the adviser plays the role of guarantor of the fact that the project is not a scum. I think this is the case. For example, the Cybertrust project. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2271223.0 I knew little about the team, but advisors such as Bill Delahunt inspire confidence. I read that he is a former US congressman and a founder of financial funds. It is a pity that this project is suspended. I think you understand my point.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
retrend

Activity: 476
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 12:40:39 PM

The project team should not be from Russia. This is my founding rule
Nevsky

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2018, 12:43:24 PM

The project team should not be from Russia. This is my founding rule
Really? And what about Wings and Waves? The Ethereum was created by a Russian developer. There are enough swindlers everywhere.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
cryptojac17

Activity: 490
Merit: 107

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 01:00:53 PM

Hi everyone

New to this forum but I see a lot of veteran advice here. Lately I've been researching, tracking and dabbling in a ICOs. I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on ICOs, in general, and what your guidelines for investment might be. Note, this isn't a standard "should I invest in btc or X, Y or Z thread, but more of a place to share some strategies.

Personally I always start with the whitepaper and research it and its merit. If it sounds reasonable, I try to answer the question of "what problem does this ICO solve?" - is there a need for it, or, is it simply applying blockchain to some aspect of some industry for no real reason.

Finally, I look at the team. Have I heard of anyone, can I find them on twitter or LinkedIn, etc.

Anyone have other strategies they are willing to share? Looking forward to the discussion!
You do everything right friend. Everything listed by you makes sense, but I will say from my own experience that the team's notoriety does not always play a major role. There are many such examples. The same Stratis, for example. I look at the idea, the availability of a software product, and also see if the work is being done by the devs.

Thanks - I appreciate that. When you say team, do you put equal weight on the team as the listed advisors? I've seen lots of discussion regarding how much input an advisor may actually have on any given project.
As for me, the adviser plays the role of guarantor of the fact that the project is not a scum. I think this is the case. For example, the Cybertrust project. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2271223.0 I knew little about the team, but advisors such as Bill Delahunt inspire confidence. I read that he is a former US congressman and a founder of financial funds. It is a pity that this project is suspended. I think you understand my point.

Yeah  It is good to study  the white paper and of course you should also know what is the functional products they  offer because functional product is the back none of the project this would really attract investors if their proposed functional products are really feasible and also if you going to identify the  core team working if they are really known personality.

epidose (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 04:52:36 PM

Hi everyone

Right, that makes sense for sure, I guess if/when you can find an advisor who instills some confidence by attaching their own name, then it's a bonus feather in the cap.

Why did that project get suspended?
Eye16
Copper Member

Activity: 270
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 04:53:19 PM

good functionality .
nhinhi

Activity: 32

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 04:58:47 PM

Im still being a student, my propit is small. So i invest to an ICO becuz its not spend too much time. If that ico look be good.
epidose (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 10:28:40 PM

Before I invest in an ICO, I always look for a strong technical team.  Developments are the most important thing for a project and it takes technical skills to do this.  I also like the project to have a marketing person on the team. 
Do you put any weight on the advisory crew? Or entirely/significantly more on the dev and marketing?
Faruque312

Activity: 490

Life is full of struggle

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2018, 11:07:11 PM

`1st i take risk then i looking for 3x profit, i think most of people bought it for 2x or 3x profit. i think after buying a ico you have to hold it or trade it.

Nevsky

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 02:32:20 PM

Hi everyone

Yeah  It is good to study  the white paper and of course you should also know what is the functional products they  offer because functional product is the back none of the project this would really attract investors if their proposed functional products are really feasible and also if you going to identify the  core team working if they are really known personality.
Of course. Ideally, you need to take into account all the factors that may affect the further development. You must always think where you carry your money.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Nevsky

View Profile WWW
March 14, 2018, 02:37:21 PM

Hi everyone

Right, that makes sense for sure, I guess if/when you can find an advisor who instills some confidence by attaching their own name, then it's a bonus feather in the cap.

Why did that project get suspended?
Right. This is an additional factor that speaks about the quality of the product. It's super, when all the factors are at a high level, but I have not yet met such. It is suspended due to legal issues. In general, the project is very interesting and should have been promising. All investments were returned as far as I know.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
epidose (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 01:16:33 PM

All investments were returned as far as I know.

This got me thinking, it would be interesting if ICOs were forced (by whom, I have no idea, hard when it's so decentralized by nature) to report this type of thing if/when they didn't succeed. I feel that it would help boost the overall confidence of the ICO landscape for those on the edge of the crypto world, perhaps even helping to bring the potential of ICO investments more mainstream.
Jalum

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Look ARROUND!

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 08:41:47 PM

`1st i take risk then i looking for 3x profit, i think most of people bought it for 2x or 3x profit. i think after buying a ico you have to hold it or trade it.
There is a larger risk when investing in an ICO because people know that the project may not be a genuine one. Don't invest in every coin with an ICO.

█████████████████
         ███ ██     █     ██ ███
       ██ █████     █     █████ ██
     ███   █   █  █████  █   █   ███
   ███     █    ███ █ ███    █     ███
  ██  ███ ██ ███    █    ███ ██ ███  ██
  ██     ████       █      █████     ██
 ███   ██ █  ███    █    ███  █ ██   ███
 █ █ ██   █     ██  █  ██     █   ██ █ █
█████     █       █████       █     █████
 █ █ ██   █   ████  █  ████   █   ██ █ █
 ███   ████ ██      █      ██ ████   ███
  ██  █  █████      █      █████  █  ██
  ██ ██   ██ ████   █  ████  ██   ██ ██
   ██      █     ██████      █     ███
     ████  █   ██████████    █  ████
       ██ █████     █    ██████ ██
         ███  ██    █   ███  ███
            █████████████████
ARROUND

Telegram
ANN Thread
Bounty Thread
Whitepaper
Getcoinsite

Activity: 714
Merit: 260

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 08:44:09 PM

Hi everyone

added unto that is the Team behind this ico,are they legit or just dummy or some copy pasting same as the road mal and the supplies of token to be released,the soft and the hard caft,this things are must be checked of every investors of ico
traged

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 19, 2018, 08:46:54 PM

Lately, I am looking only at this before I decide to invest into any ICO - https://steemit.com/cryptocurrency/@ograph/my-ico-cheatsheet-shhhh  I hope those guys know what they are doing!
Nagricoin

Activity: 294
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2018, 01:03:08 AM

Hi everyone

There are many things to look for in an ICO, like how the website is built, information about the team members is correct or not, is the team legit or not and most importantly that is there any real world use of the coins to be sold, if there isn't any real problem that is solved by that ICO then there is no use of investing in that project as then there would be no use of that token and maybe the money you invest in that would be lost.
If you just follow these simple steps then I believe that you can easily spot a pretty nice ICO and also do share with others if you find one as it will be for the betterment of the public here.
You are right. You have to do it this basic things and this can help you to protect your money.

🌱🌻🥕NAGRICOIN🍅🌽🌾
👉🏻🍏Nagri - we are what we eat, invest in it!🍏👈🏻
✔️Check out the link in 🌎
MattGr

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 11:28:01 AM

I pay attention to team, reviews, ratings, but the most important thing for me is the whole concept, the idea. From the last ICOs I have looked through I like Safinus project the most.
epidose (OP)

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 03:16:47 PM

Hi everyone

added unto that is the Team behind this ico,are they legit or just dummy or some copy pasting same as the road mal and the supplies of token to be released,the soft and the hard caft,this things are must be checked of every investors of ico
The Team definitely seems to be like a solid place to focus; but since writing this thread I've been researching and find it hard to really be able to tell who's legit.

We almost need a LinkedIn style social media for people involved in blockchain in order too better account for real vs fake team compositions.
Novgabby

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 04:53:39 AM

I always consider if the manager is trustworthy.
If the manager is popular and trustworthy, then i go fo it.
It usually depends on the people behind a project.
It is better to join those icos that will make me feel secured.
DyllanGM

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 06:40:15 AM

Sometime I look at the fund raised during the sale. I think the ICO is more close to legit if they could raise huge funding and reach their cap
(even softcap) and remove the fear that the ICO you're investing will shutdown because it didnt reach softcap. If I see that there is till a lot of time and the fund raise is almost near the cap, then I might invest in that ICO. It could still be a failure or scam but at least, it one less reason for a failed ICO.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: