Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:34:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwolla's Fisync - Direct competition with Bitcoin  (Read 1948 times)
GoWest (OP)

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 12:06:43 AM

Ref: http://www.dwolla.org/blog/financial-plus-credit-union-releases-dwolla-with-fisync/

Sounds like participating banks will allow instant account linking to Dwolla.  Also, any Internet-enabled device will allow for the transfer of money using Dwolla, and Dwolla will be linked to social networks to allow for transfer of money between individuals.  They charge a flat fee of $0.25 per transaction.

Won't this eat into some of Bitcoin's business?  Maybe that's why Dwolla is being quiet about Bitcoin - they're competing with it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 12:08:50 AM

I'm all for good competition, more quality options people have the better.
twobits

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 12:14:40 AM

I'm all for good competition, more quality options people have the better.

+1

It is competition in the same sense paypal is.   Seems a cheaper paypal by removing the cc options.   It does not have a lot of the properties bitcoin does,  and current has zero cross border possibilities,  so there is plenty of room for all three still.

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
jostmey

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 12:26:36 AM

This will actually be really good for bitcoin!

Bitcoin will become more approachable to the common person, who will be able to buy a bitcoin in minutes or hours instead of days.

Imagine being able to instantaneously buy bitcoins - I mean truly really instantaneously - from bank account to wallet file.

Search Bitcoin
Discover the bitcoin economy
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 12:43:42 AM

Ref: http://www.dwolla.org/blog/financial-plus-credit-union-releases-dwolla-with-fisync/

Sounds like participating banks will allow instant account linking to Dwolla.  Also, any Internet-enabled device will allow for the transfer of money using Dwolla, and Dwolla will be linked to social networks to allow for transfer of money between individuals.  They charge a flat fee of $0.25 per transaction.

Won't this eat into some of Bitcoin's business?  Maybe that's why Dwolla is being quiet about Bitcoin - they're competing with it.

Dwolla will always be hampered by the fact that it is not a currency, but rather a means of exchanging US Dollars. Bitcoin is a currency in itself. They are complimentary (though competing) services.
elk-tamer

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 12:52:27 AM

Bitcoin will become more approachable to the common person, who will be able to buy a bitcoin in minutes or hours instead of days.

Imagine being able to instantaneously buy bitcoins - I mean truly really instantaneously - from bank account to wallet file.
You'd still have to go through an exchange.

Buying bitcoins in Canada is already fairly quick. It took me about an hour the first time. direct from bank account to cavirtex via email. The transfer cost is higher though: $1.50
SmokeAndMirrors

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 12:58:39 AM

I find it interesting how dwolla is attempting to be a big player now. Its only real income comes from bitcoin users and dwolla won't even acknowledge this. This company is run by a bunch of dipshits in fake suits pretending to be bigshots if you ask me.

While it would be sad for us if bitcoins ended, my pain would be eased by the fact that dwolla would dwindle away just as fast without even a peep about bitcoins having any affect. Tools.

Buying bitcoins in Canada is already fairly quick. It took me about an hour the first time. direct from bank account to cavirtex via email. The transfer cost is higher though: $1.50

Cavirtex is the easiest and fastest exchange for bitcoins. It's funny how that works considering it was one of the latest (of successful ones) to pop up.

Help Bitcoins by buying clothes, technology, books, etc. through people/stores that accept BTC. This will increase overall value of BTC as well as mitigate unnecessary bank transaction fees.

My address -
1EM9HGg1SEa5Bux1rVEPxGqGSfNTTc9EkC
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 01:08:24 AM

can US citizens use it?
elk-tamer

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 01:19:50 AM

can US citizens use it?
Not really. The useful part is the email money transfer, which is connected to the Canadian banks.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 01:38:53 AM

can US citizens use it?
Not really. The useful part is the email money transfer, which is connected to the Canadian banks.

thats why i asked.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 01:42:39 AM

funny, i see only one credit union signed up so far.

its a stretch to say many more will sign on and help Dwolla.
Shinobi

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 02:25:55 AM

Without looking, I'm guessing Cavirtex is an awful contraction of Canadian Virtual Exchange?

_______
Thinking of using a cheap, yet reliable VPN? Go with PrivateInternetAccess. Not a referral link. Just a satisfied customer!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 02:29:35 AM

funny, i see only one credit union signed up so far

FiSync is pretty new and the fact that one institution has gone live, publicly, already came as a shock.  Banks aren't known for being very agile.   The trial includes 15 institutions, I don't know how many of those 15 already support transactions but expect to hear more about FiSync soon.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

GoWest (OP)

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 02:34:07 AM

funny, i see only one credit union signed up so far.

its a stretch to say many more will sign on and help Dwolla.

The thought crossed my mind as well.  It will take a long time for them to sign up enough banks for transactions to achieve anything close to the peer-to-peer nature of Bitcoin.

Also, I don't see the functionality going beyond the US.

GoWest (OP)

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 02:35:34 AM

Without looking, I'm guessing Cavirtex is an awful contraction of Canadian Virtual Exchange?

LOL.  Correct.  Among us Canadians, we tend to drop the "Ca" and just say "virtex."

Serith

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 06:36:51 AM

There is an interesting service to buy bitcoins with SMS payments http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=29992.0
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 02:56:48 PM

There is an interesting service to buy bitcoins with SMS payments http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=29992.0

have you tried it out?  is it purely SMS text based?  or do you need to sign up with Textcoin on the internet and establish an acct with btc's?

if this is for real BITCOIN IS GOLDEN!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: