Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:09:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the sudden price rise?  (Read 8477 times)
ehoffman (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 01:53:25 PM

I may not have looked far enough, but I don't seem to find anything justifying this sudden sharp rise...

Like my comments?  Cheer me up at 137s1qFV63M6SXWhKkwjaZKEeZX23pq1hw
Don't like my comments, donate to the BCRT (better comment research team) here at 1A1PbZypjEe7yanj69ApVS1FhK8UMW7Wdc Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Buster

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 02:16:23 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310059.msg3331043#msg3331043
phlogistonq

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 02:17:04 PM

If we were to go down the SR news would have triggered a sellof/downtrend. Instead, we recovered quickly. This is bullish news.
ehoffman (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 02:21:41 PM

Ah, that's one reason...  But it still doesn't explain why the sudden price rise.  Why out of a sudden the volume jumps at BTCChina?

They are living their "hype bubble" like we did earlier this year?  Cheesy

Like my comments?  Cheer me up at 137s1qFV63M6SXWhKkwjaZKEeZX23pq1hw
Don't like my comments, donate to the BCRT (better comment research team) here at 1A1PbZypjEe7yanj69ApVS1FhK8UMW7Wdc Smiley
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 02:24:21 PM

Speculation on a US default.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
Ashitank

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 02:55:31 PM

Chinese got carried away on BTC cool-aid ,................... NOT !
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 02:59:47 PM

Of course we are all just guessing. But I have found that when we have a week of good press, like the past weeks, a rise follows. It seems to lag by two weeks. Perhaps that is the time it takes newbies to read, download, and buy some coins.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 03:40:32 PM

Of course we are all just guessing.

As much as the speculators are guessing. Really, even if you're not actively buying, but passively not selling... you're speculating as well.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 04:00:25 PM

The weak hands are beginning to be sold out...
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 04:02:06 PM

The total network hash power just rose like 500T in just a weekend, it is getting difficult to get bitcoin every passing day, many miners will stop mining and start to purchase coins soon, and before they do that, smart money will buy all the coins available on the market

hacknoid

Activity: 418
Merit: 252

Proud Canuck

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2013, 06:01:50 PM

I have another thought on this... and it relates to SR.

True, with the demise of SR there are others that have arisen to take its place.  However, SR's true size has now come to light - almost a million registered users.  That means a lots of people using it, and, while it was operating, a lot of sellers that received bitcoins and needed to dump them for cash in order to buy more supply.  While DPR may have believed in Bitcoin and held onto a lot of them, I doubt a lot of the sellers did.  I suspect many just saw the opportunity and used it as a medium, without holding BTC.  I suspect many regular dumps may have been due to SR sellers unloading at the current price, regardless of what that was (no real regard to trying to optimize profits).

Now, with SR removed, the regular dumps and their effect on the price trend is gone, and the constant, gradual demand for BTC from other areas is starting to show through.  If so, then this trend may continue, at least until the speculators begin profit-taking.

At least, that's my speculation.

(Oh, and of course there is the demand from China too...  Smiley)

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0
Habeler876

Activity: 624

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 06:39:42 PM

I have another thought on this... and it relates to SR.

True, with the demise of SR there are others that have arisen to take its place.  However, SR's true size has now come to light - almost a million registered users.  That means a lots of people using it, and, while it was operating, a lot of sellers that received bitcoins and needed to dump them for cash in order to buy more supply.  While DPR may have believed in Bitcoin and held onto a lot of them, I doubt a lot of the sellers did.  I suspect many just saw the opportunity and used it as a medium, without holding BTC.  I suspect many regular dumps may have been due to SR sellers unloading at the current price, regardless of what that was (no real regard to trying to optimize profits).

Now, with SR removed, the regular dumps and their effect on the price trend is gone, and the constant, gradual demand for BTC from other areas is starting to show through.  If so, then this trend may continue, at least until the speculators begin profit-taking.

At least, that's my speculation.

(Oh, and of course there is the demand from China too...  Smiley)

what about the demand to buy coins caused by those buying on SR?

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 06:47:35 PM
Last edit: October 14, 2013, 06:59:21 PM by Zangelbert Bingledack

14 big reasons:

• China
  • Second Market Bitcoin Investment Trust delayed effect
  • SR had 100,000 users engaging in active commerce, proving Bitcoin is a very real medium of exchange
  • SR shutdown caused only a flash crash, proving the current price level is solid*
  • SR shutdown generated a lot of Bitcoin publicity, the trial guarantees more, plus feds have Bitcoin wallet
  • DPR's huge cold wallet is reportedly untouchable; off-shore account holders' ears are perking up
  • SR shutdown proved SR was not a critical part of the Bitcoin ecosystem, not even for price support (see above)
  • SR shutdown cleaned the image of Bitcoin up in many people's minds, even though others like it will sprout
  • Global financial market turmoil coming to a head; Jim Rogers: "this Fall is probably the beginning of the end"
  • US government shutdown silliness, people are worried and the US is showing serious signs of imminent meltdown
  • China-EU agreement to cut out USD in trade, a huge blow to USD reserve currency status - one of many
  • Ultra-loose Janet Yellen appointed as next Fed chief, QE to infinity!
  • 6 months since last bubble, dust settled, now finally clear to people that it was a legit price correction (upwards)
  • Talk of more Cyprus-style "haircuts" on depositors, taking the Keynesian "hoarding=bad!" to its logical endpoint

*Remember March 11? Slow orphan blocks, hard fork, double-spend --> FLASH CRASH --> price ultimately unaffected, proving in people's minds that the growth from January through March 11 wasn't just silly speculation and vapors but real support, so then people threw caution to the wind and piled in without reservation
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 08:48:49 PM

14 big reasons:

• China
  • SR had 100,000 users engaging in active commerce, proving Bitcoin is a very real medium of exchange
  • SR shutdown caused only a flash crash, proving the current price level is solid*
  • SR shutdown generated a lot of Bitcoin publicity, the trial guarantees more, plus feds have Bitcoin wallet
  • DPR's huge cold wallet is reportedly untouchable; off-shore account holders' ears are perking up
  • SR shutdown proved SR was not a critical part of the Bitcoin ecosystem, not even for price support (see above)
  • SR shutdown cleaned the image of Bitcoin up in many people's minds, even though others like it will sprout
  • Global financial market turmoil coming to a head; Jim Rogers: "this Fall is probably the beginning of the end"
  • US government shutdown silliness, people are worried and the US is showing serious signs of imminent meltdown
  • China-EU agreement to cut out USD in trade, a huge blow to USD reserve currency status - one of many
  • 6 months since last bubble, dust settled, now finally clear to people that it was a legit price correction (upwards)
  • Talk of more Cyprus-style "haircuts" on depositors, taking the Keynesian "hoarding=bad!" to its logical endpoint

*Remember March 11? Slow orphan blocks, hard fork, double-spend --> FLASH CRASH --> price ultimately unaffected, proving in people's minds that the growth from January through March 11 wasn't just silly speculation and vapors but real support, so then people threw caution to the wind and piled in without reservation

+1
nice list. overall media attention has grown big time since march/april. fourth biggest economy has approved btc legal status  (germany). network strength skyrocketing.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 09:09:07 PM

I may not have looked far enough, but I don't seem to find anything justifying this sudden sharp rise...

Because every effect must have a cause visible to you? The market moved because people bought coins....

hacknoid

Activity: 418
Merit: 252

Proud Canuck

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2013, 09:44:09 PM

what about the demand to buy coins caused by those buying on SR?

My thinking is that the buyers are larger in number than sellers, but smaller amounts of buys each, possibly spread across multiple exchanges. Coupled with those who might have the coins from earlier on or from mining, and it doesn't amount to significant impact as its many small purchases at best. Less impact than a larger dump.

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 10:27:55 PM

14 big reasons:

• China

Nice, but what about reason #15 - Gox is insolvent ?
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 12:02:22 AM
Last edit: October 15, 2013, 12:14:45 AM by Zangelbert Bingledack

Gox pays out just fine in Japan, I can tell you.

Another thing: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-14/chinas-state-press-calls-for-building-a-de-americanized-world
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 12:17:38 AM

I forgot that everyone lives in Japan again, DOH!
TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 01:39:47 AM

Now that everyone is off drugs they have finally gotten some sense and bought btc. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: