Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:13:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help please with bricked cards!  (Read 222 times)
dre2ooo (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 11, 2018, 09:45:32 PM

I have 3 bricked cards...  All three of them are RX570's.  On two, the fans do not spin and they are totally unresponsive.  On the third, the fans spin, but that's all it does.

I have tried:

-Atiflash GUI in admin mode in Windows 10
-"atiflash -i" and "atiflash -p -f 0 bios.rom" in admin mode of CMD in windows.
-atiflash (same commands) on a DOS USB stick.
-bridging pins 1+8 on the BIOS chip on the back of the card and then turning on the computer and holding the bridged pins throughout running atiflash commands.

When I try "atiflash -i" in either DOS or CMD, it says "adapter not found."  The computer obviously can boot with the cards, but no program (atiflash, GPUz, windows device manager) can see the cards.  I have held pins one and eight together many times through several power on cycles. 

I am at my wits end with these cards.  I have unbricked a few cards previously using atiflash, but these three are a pain in the ass.  Does anyone have some suggestions or tricks I haven't found that could help?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dre2ooo (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 12:47:12 PM

Got the one card unbricked!  The one with the fans that spin was able to be unbricked by bridging pins 1+"5"

Everyone seems to either be mislabeling what 1+8 means or some cards' pin #8 is different.   But I found a few posts and images showing that pin #8 is directly across the short side of the BIOS chip.  That is, the pins are counted counter-clockwise from pin #1 in numerical order.  Only 2 cards left to go!
EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 02:50:00 PM

Got the one card unbricked!  The one with the fans that spin was able to be unbricked by bridging pins 1+"5"

It would be helpful to try towards uncovering a solution if we knew what happened to these cards that effectively bricked them. From how it has been presented it seems like one morning you woke up and 3 of your cards suddenly wouldn't work. What preceded the bricking? Bridging pins through power cycles seems like a very unfortunate way to try and get your cards to work; at best this seems like a temporary solution. You are running windows, is that correct? I gathered that from the way you worded OP.

When I run into problems like this, or almost any miner I know that runs into problems like this they simply send their cards for an RMA or something along those lines. Is there any reason this is not a consideration currently? Some hobbyists or stubborn engineers always have their reasons.
nathan_tek

Activity: 248
Merit: 26

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 03:15:27 PM
Last edit: March 12, 2018, 04:06:15 PM by nathan_tek

What I find out of his posts,  is that he bricked his cards due to a bad bios flash. And now he tries to recover his cards with this method:
https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/9443/bricked-your-rx-480-due-to-bad-flash

P. S. I read somewhere that it is possible to flash the bios chip of rx480/580 with a ch341a programer + soic test clip.

⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣     C O M B O     ⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣
A leading provider of scaling solutions for Web3 game developers
|      Twitter      |    Telegram    |     Discord     |     Medium     |      GitHub      |
theodrim

Activity: 78

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 03:33:33 PM

Everyone seems to either be mislabeling what 1+8 means or some cards' pin #8 is different.
Or maybe they using different chips.
dre2ooo (OP)

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 09:57:21 PM

It would be helpful to try towards uncovering a solution if we knew what happened to these cards that effectively bricked them. From how it has been presented it seems like one morning you woke up and 3 of your cards suddenly wouldn't work. What preceded the bricking? Bridging pins through power cycles seems like a very unfortunate way to try and get your cards to work; at best this seems like a temporary solution. You are running windows, is that correct? I gathered that from the way you worded OP.

When I run into problems like this, or almost any miner I know that runs into problems like this they simply send their cards for an RMA or something along those lines. Is there any reason this is not a consideration currently? Some hobbyists or stubborn engineers always have their reasons.

They were bricked by mass flashing ROMs onto the cards.  I flashed about 10 cards with the same ROM and these few got bricked.  The ROM was one I edited myself from the saved stock BIOS of one of the cards --all cards are the same model. 

Yes, after trying everything, I think I will RMA the 2 cards.  Yes, I am running windows on the BIOS flashing machine, but the cards will go into a Xubuntu miner.   Bridging the pins has worked for a few cards, but usually the fans are spinning on a card that is able to be unbricked.  Hopefully the manufacturer will look past the fact that incorrect BIOS's  were flashed onto the cards!   Huh

From now on, I will edit each BIOS individually to be safe. 
RYXES

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

Merit me or don't.

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 11:26:00 PM
Merited by KingScorpio (2)

Always Mod each GPU separately! You never know you may have different memory types in each GPU but it looks exactly the same from the outside.

As long as you have one that is not Bricked then its fine. Just a ball ache.

Bricked my a fair few times.

Merit me or don't.
dre2ooo (OP)

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 12:42:15 PM

Indeed.  Well 2 RMA out of 96 flashed cards isn't terrible I guess, but I bet I'd be at 100% success if I did each one individually. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: