Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:53:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The NEXT generation of Physical Bitcoins...  (Read 19042 times)
TitanBTC (OP)

Activity: 366
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 08:34:41 PM

UPDATE:  For those paying in bitcoins directly, the price has dropped to 1.39 BTC

Thanks

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 09:08:27 PM

Received my Titan Coin today. Very nice.

The coin is about 3.3 cm in diameter so it looks a bit smaller then in the photo.

(The Casascius silver bitcoin is about 3.8mc in diameter)

Came in a small priority mail box with a "Certificate of Authenticity" and Instructions on how to "activate" the coin.

I was able to scan the qr code on the back of the coin with my mobile.

On the web-form I had to enter:
Delivery Confirmation Code received on the letter with the coin.
Email confirmation Number received in the email they sent with shipping notification
Entered My Email
Entered My password

When I submitted the form I received an email to a link to verify the registration and fund the coin.

The coin also came in a little black pouch.
Nice Job Titain.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 10:11:48 PM

The coin is about 3.3 cm in diameter so it looks a bit smaller then in the photo.

Came in a small priority mail box with a "Certificate of Authenticity" and Instructions on how to "activate" the coin.

Email confirmation Number received in the email they sent with shipping notification
Entered My Email
Entered My password

When I submitted the form I received an email to a link to verify the registration and fund the coin.

Nice Job Titain.

Very professional looking.

@TitanBTC,

I noticed in the COA that the field for the # coin is left black (out of 10,000). Was that on purpose or do you plan to number each coin? Just curious.

Aloha!  Smiley

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 10:42:33 PM

EDIT: This thread is intended for brainstorming about new ways to do Physical bitcoins.  I've started a separate thread for questions about http://www.TitanBtc.com in the Marketplace section.
--

Physical bitcoins are absolutely the BEST way to introduce people to the concept of bitcoins.  I've personally recruited dozens, if not hundreds, of people to the bitcoin community and by far the most effective tool in winning someone over is simply handing them a physical coin.  There's just no replacement for feeling the weight of bitcoin in your hand.

However, after years of UI/UX design for web and product launches, I know that there's no such thing as "too simple".  People need to be led gently down a path to understanding and the current generation of physical bitcoins isn't quite cutting it.  Physical bitcoins, both paper and coin, have the potential to be much more than novelty or collectible.  To realize that potential, I'm convinced that this community needs to have physical bitcoins that:

1. Look and feel like real currency

2. Have ZERO barriers to entry for newcomers

3. Require ZERO pre-existing knowledge of bitcoins to acquire, use and enjoy, and

4. Are inherently secure and impossible to counterfeit.  (Physical theft is always a danger, but that's a separate conversation.)

5. Seamlessly convert to bitcoins in your wallet with a minimum of technical knowledge required.

It's a tall order, but it's an important one to fill. Physical bitcoins serve as a valuable extension to cryptocurrencies and they're a vital bridge to the many people who have yet to embrace the idea of bitcoins.  Effectively reaching this group may allow cryptocurrencies to cross the chasm that exists between early adopters and the mainstream user.  If you have investments in bitcoin, this jump to the mainstream is what reduces risk and increases the return on your investment.  If you believe in the principals behind bitcoin, this jump to the mainstream is what opens people's eyes and brings about real, revolutionary change in our financial system.

Doug Feigelson, Mike Caldwell, Rob Kohr and others have shown us what is possible.  Thank you sincerely.  Let's build on their contributions and move forward.  What's next?  What does this next generation of physical bitcoins look like and how is it technically executed?  I'm looking for feedback from this community and I'm also looking people that are ready to design it and build it as I'm putting my personal/business resources behind this project.

How about Bitcoin stickers?
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078

BCJ

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 11:18:02 PM

@TitanBTC,

I noticed in the COA that the field for the # coin is left black (out of 10,000). Was that on purpose or do you plan to number each coin? Just curious.

Aloha!  Smiley

Smoothie,  I redacted it that.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 04:31:58 AM

@TitanBTC,

Aloha!  Smiley

Ohh I did not notice. My mistake.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 07:11:16 AM

I bought one. Received confirmation of shipment.  Waiting for delivery...

I just bought as well.  The price is far less than an hour of Lawyer time.  Smiley

Well, I think I got the better end of this deal.  That's very valuable info. 
I only hope it is never necessary.

I'll definitely be hiring YOU if I have to defend our business model.
Will work for bitcoin, justice, and liberty.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
ralree

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 07:16:09 AM

Update: Coins with private keys included (like Casascius) are now available as an option on the website.  For those that ordered them via PM, your orders are shipping out today or tomorrow morning.

http://www.titanbtc.com/product/titan-one/

I don't recommend these if you intend to resell due to the ease of counterfeiting/hacking, but to each his own.

Wait it's easy to fake the hologram or peel it and restick?  Is that what you're saying?  I'm confused.  The casascius coins, to my knowledge, are pretty good at preventing that sort of thing.  I might buy a few just for fun - thanks!

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
ralree

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 07:17:23 AM

Also, what does the hologram for the PK ones look like?  Is it the same?

NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 07:30:36 AM

Update: Coins with private keys included (like Casascius) are now available as an option on the website.  For those that ordered them via PM, your orders are shipping out today or tomorrow morning.

I don't recommend these if you intend to resell due to the ease of counterfeiting/hacking, but to each his own.

Wait it's easy to fake the hologram or peel it and restick?  Is that what you're saying?  I'm confused.  The casascius coins, to my knowledge, are pretty good at preventing that sort of thing.  I might buy a few just for fun - thanks!
http://codinginmysleep.com/casascius-physical-bitcoins-cracked-at-defcon/

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
ralree

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 01:26:20 PM

Very interesting - thanks for the link!  Perhaps this has already been addressed, but do the Titan coins not have these issues, or is 2-factor their main solution to this?

TitanBTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 05:16:05 PM

Very interesting - thanks for the link!  Perhaps this has already been addressed, but do the Titan coins not have these issues, or is 2-factor their main solution to this?

Two factor authentication of some type is the ONLY solution to the problem of sticker hacking in my opinion. 

We can do better in terms of protecting the hologram from hacking (and I think some members of the community are working on that) but in my opinion, even if you believe the sticker is secure and un-hackable, a hologram isn't that difficult to counterfeit anymore.  You just can't know for sure if a "private key included" coin holds its value until you sweep that value into a wallet (unless you assembled the coin yourself and it has never left your sight).

We're working towards a decentralized 2FA system that tracks the coin's current owner and doesn't require a central database.  I'd love to hear other ideas on creative ways to leverage the network for 2FA.

TitanBTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 05:17:17 PM

Also, what does the hologram for the PK ones look like?  Is it the same?

The hologram for the PK coins looks the same, yes.  The next round of holograms we buy will have the first bits as the COIN ID number as well.

TitanBTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 05:18:50 PM

EDIT: This thread is intended for brainstorming about new ways to do Physical bitcoins.  I've started a separate thread for questions about http://www.TitanBtc.com in the Marketplace section.
--

Physical bitcoins are absolutely the BEST way to introduce people to the concept of bitcoins.  I've personally recruited dozens, if not hundreds, of people to the bitcoin community and by far the most effective tool in winning someone over is simply handing them a physical coin.  There's just no replacement for feeling the weight of bitcoin in your hand.

However, after years of UI/UX design for web and product launches, I know that there's no such thing as "too simple".  People need to be led gently down a path to understanding and the current generation of physical bitcoins isn't quite cutting it.  Physical bitcoins, both paper and coin, have the potential to be much more than novelty or collectible.  To realize that potential, I'm convinced that this community needs to have physical bitcoins that:

1. Look and feel like real currency

2. Have ZERO barriers to entry for newcomers

3. Require ZERO pre-existing knowledge of bitcoins to acquire, use and enjoy, and

4. Are inherently secure and impossible to counterfeit.  (Physical theft is always a danger, but that's a separate conversation.)

5. Seamlessly convert to bitcoins in your wallet with a minimum of technical knowledge required.

It's a tall order, but it's an important one to fill. Physical bitcoins serve as a valuable extension to cryptocurrencies and they're a vital bridge to the many people who have yet to embrace the idea of bitcoins.  Effectively reaching this group may allow cryptocurrencies to cross the chasm that exists between early adopters and the mainstream user.  If you have investments in bitcoin, this jump to the mainstream is what reduces risk and increases the return on your investment.  If you believe in the principals behind bitcoin, this jump to the mainstream is what opens people's eyes and brings about real, revolutionary change in our financial system.

Doug Feigelson, Mike Caldwell, Rob Kohr and others have shown us what is possible.  Thank you sincerely.  Let's build on their contributions and move forward.  What's next?  What does this next generation of physical bitcoins look like and how is it technically executed?  I'm looking for feedback from this community and I'm also looking people that are ready to design it and build it as I'm putting my personal/business resources behind this project.

How about Bitcoin stickers?

Are you thinking of a sticker that has a private key built in, or something more high tech like an NFC chip?  I'm interested.

TitanBTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 05:20:22 PM

Entered My Email
Entered My password

Nice Job Titain.

Cool unboxing!  I'll have our customer service dept. send you something as a thank you.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 05:33:03 PM

@TitanBTC,

Aloha!  Smiley

BCB, would you mind posting a pic of the back of the coin?  thanks.
StevenS

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 05:39:39 PM

--

The problem with the current implementation of physical bitcoins is that they are really wallets (or a way to access a wallet) in a pretty package. In other words, while they are a great way to introduce people to the concept, they don't add much value. If I transfer the bitcoin from my physical coin to my smartphone wallet, I still have the same value in my wallet, but now I have a gold (colored) coin that looks pretty, but doesn't have much in it.

I was thinking about an alternative, and I went back to the idea of bitcoin being analogous to gold (except that you can't melt it down). So instead of coin, how about paper? When banks where first created, the bankers held gold for their customers, and issued gold certificates. These certificates could be redeemed at any time at the bank for real gold, so (assuming the bank is dependable) they were used for exchange, and thus paper money was created.

Since we're talking about different levels here, let's take the original banking concept and substitute bitcoin for gold, and (metal) coin for paper. Now let's create the "Bank of Bitcoin", and have it issue (metal) coins in various denomination (1 BTC, 0.25 BTC, 0.1 BTC, .05 BTC, .01 BTC, etc.) The metal coins would not have a Bitcoin address associated with them, but could be redeemed at a bank branch for bitcoin. Or, they could be used to buy things from others without having to have access to a device.

The problems with this idea are that the Bank of Bitcoin would have to develop trust that these coins will always be redeemable. It would also have to adhere to banking regulations. For these reasons it would probably have to start as a subsidiary of an established bank.

On second thought, I don't think the Bitcoin community is ready for this.  Sad
TitanBTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 05:42:34 PM

UPDATE:  I think I forgot to mention on the forum that "private key included" coins are now available on the website.  There's a dropdown on the product page to select which version you want.  

TitanBTC (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 05:47:56 PM

--

The problem with the current implementation of physical bitcoins is that they are really wallets (or a way to access a wallet) in a pretty package. In other words, while they are a great way to introduce people to the concept, they don't add much value. If I transfer the bitcoin from my physical coin to my smartphone wallet, I still have the same value in my wallet, but now I have a gold (colored) coin that looks pretty, but doesn't have much in it.

I was thinking about an alternative, and I went back to the idea of bitcoin being analogous to gold (except that you can't melt it down). So instead of coin, how about paper? When banks where first created, the bankers held gold for their customers, and issued gold certificates. These certificates could be redeemed at any time at the bank for real gold, so (assuming the bank is dependable) they were used for exchange, and thus paper money was created.

Since we're talking about different levels here, let's take the original banking concept and substitute bitcoin for gold, and (metal) coin for paper. Now let's create the "Bank of Bitcoin", and have it issue (metal) coins in various denomination (1 BTC, 0.25 BTC, 0.1 BTC, .05 BTC, .01 BTC, etc.) The metal coins would not have a Bitcoin address associated with them, but could be redeemed at a bank branch for bitcoin. Or, they could be used to buy things from others without having to have access to a device.

The problems with this idea are that the Bank of Bitcoin would have to develop trust that these coins will always be redeemable. It would also have to adhere to banking regulations. For these reasons it would probably have to start as a subsidiary of an established bank.

On second thought, I don't think the Bitcoin community is ready for this.  Sad

Great feedback.  I think paper physical bitcoins are great, and I don't think they've been done right yet.  There are ways for the bitcoin network itself to serve as the "central bank of bitcoin" and that's basically what I'm working on.  Using the blockchain to handle physical to digital exchange/ redemption addresses a lot of problems. I'd love to hear more ideas from people that KNOW the bitcoin protocol inside and out on how we can make that happen.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 05:53:12 PM

UPDATE:  I think I forgot to mention on the forum that "private key included" coins are now available on the website.  There's a dropdown on the product page to select which version you want.  

thanks for the option.

i don't think it will be as great a problem as you think.  for sales.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: