Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:05:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Merchant. Part #2  (Read 1567 times)
nickwit (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 02, 2011, 04:55:11 AM

Hello all,

Further to the last thing I posted which was all about simple-explanations for new merchants etc...

... I've finally got it together to add bitcoin paybility to my site

I've made links to bitcoins down the bottom of the main page

http://www.goldenmeancalipers.com/

and made an explanation page here

http://www.goldenmeancalipers.com/bitcoins

So what do you reckon? Have I got this more or less right / made any frightful cockups etc?

As far as i can tell there isn't a paypal-like payment gateway that doesn't involve "an account" on a centralised server (eg: mybitcoins) - so there's no way of making the transaction without downloading the client...

... so all I've done is published the account-number I'll be using, and said "get in touch via email so I can do the rest".

Is this um... right?

--

ps: how do I add the things I'm selling to The trade-page List-Of-Things-Buyable via bitcoins?

pps: Thank you for the images that I purloined from the "logo" thread on this forum.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 02, 2011, 05:06:06 AM

The "politically connected", not the rich.

Supposed, I have ten thousand bitcoin and each bitcoin is worth a dollar. Imagine that the price of  bitcoin jump 100 fold over night. That mean, I am a millionaire.

Suddenly people will claim that bitcoin is for the gold, designed by the rich, etc. You see the problem with your statement.

Worst of all, I actually work my butt off for my bitcoin. I didn't play game like getting lobbyists to make laws that favor me over everyone else. Instead, I produce software, writing, and drawing that help grow the economy.

nickwit (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2011, 06:04:43 AM

The "politically connected", not the rich.

We're talking about Fiat Currency here - money that is lent into existence by international bankers, as a scarce-resource... and with interest, so more money always flows back to them than they originally issued, without them having to do anything.

This system was created by monarchs in Europe in the 15th century - to control the wealth that people were "creating for themselves" by using their own currencies at corn-exchanges. Fiat currency was created by the rich (and is now controlled by the rich) so they can get richer without having to do anything.

Supposed, I have ten thousand bitcoin and each bitcoin is worth a dollar. Imagine that the price of  bitcoin jump 100 fold over night. That mean, I am a millionaire.

Suddenly people will claim that bitcoin is for the gold, designed by the rich, etc. You see the problem with your statement.

No, you would simply have gotten lucky off the back of a gamble - as would anyone who happened to be holding bitcoins - the bitcoin system isn't specifically and deliberately designed to push money up-hill towards "lenders" - as our current system is.

With our current system, the whole thing (and this has filtered through to societal expectations generally) has become geared to look after the interests of lenders. "Investors". These have become the only people that matter - to the extent that it's almost embedded in the language now. It's certainly embedded in the law, with corporations legally required to put the interests of shareholders before anyone or anything else.

Worst of all, I actually work my butt off for my bitcoin. I didn't play game like getting lobbyists to make laws that favor me over everyone else. Instead, I produce software, writing, and drawing that help grow the economy.

Um... what has that got to do with anything I said?

I think you might have mis-read me.

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2011, 02:37:08 PM

I got 10,000 bitcoin from offering my labor on the market that just happens to goes up to 100 times.

I didn't cheat. Now the growth of the currency make me one of the "rich". You said the currency is not "controlled by the rich, for the rich", but that's like thinking every single millionaire as evil.

Babylon

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 02, 2011, 08:39:02 PM

I got 10,000 bitcoin from offering my labor on the market that just happens to goes up to 100 times.

I didn't cheat. Now the growth of the currency make me one of the "rich". You said the currency is not "controlled by the rich, for the rich", but that's like thinking every single millionaire as evil.

No.  Bitcoin is not controlled by the rich, since it is not controlled by anyone.  It's not a matter of good and evil, if you are not rich you don't want to use a currency that is controlled and manipulate by rich people for the benefit of rich people, which fiat is.  If you are rich and not part of their clique you also don't.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 04:25:40 AM
Last edit: February 03, 2011, 04:58:17 AM by kiba

No.  Bitcoin is not controlled by the rich, since it is not controlled by anyone.  It's not a matter of good and evil, if you are not rich you don't want to use a currency that is controlled and manipulate by rich people for the benefit of rich people, which fiat is.  If you are rich and not part of their clique you also don't.
Not all rich people are part of the "fiat currency" mafia. Even rich people lose money through inflation too(unless they are connected to the banking elite).

I am merely arguing against the confusion of rich people with the banking elites.

nickwit (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 05:08:55 AM

Not all rich people are part of the "fiat currency" mafia. Even rich people lose money through inflation too(unless they are connected to the banking elite).

As far as I'm aware, I never said they were.

Any chance you could not try to get me to defend things I haven't said?... and you know, not derail my thread?

Although it appears to have generated precious little interest by its own merits.
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 05:20:23 AM

As far as I'm aware, I never said they were.

Any chance you could not try to get me to defend things I haven't said?... and you know, not derail my thread?

Although it appears to have generated precious little interest by its own merits.

Quote from: nickwit
Bitcoins are an experiment in alternative currency – a shot at a system that is fairer, because the currency we have right now was designed by the rich, and is controlled by the rich so they can get richer, just by already being rich.

That's what you said.

mpkomara

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 06:00:14 AM

i didn't want to step in, but kiba, what does your first reply have anything to do with nickwit's original post about calipers???  i thought for sure you would eventually edit your  post recognizing your impoliteness, so i haven't said anything.  but come on, give the guy a break, he's just trying to sell his (really cool) product for bitcoins.  Nickwit, you should post again in "We Accept Bitcoins" http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30.0 and make sure the forum moderators add your website to the "Trade" page of bitcoin.org.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 06:30:04 AM

The way you're doing transactions is not secure. Anyone can monitor the public address and then automatically email you when they see a transaction to it. The real purchaser will have a hard time proving that they were the one who actually sent the coins. You must generate a unique address for each customer. I recommend just using MyBitcoin's merchant API to do the transaction processing.

Bitcoin transactions are not encrypted, and it's likely that all transactions will require a small fee within a year or two.

i didn't want to step in, but kiba, what does your first reply have anything to do with nickwit's original post about calipers???

Nickwit asked for feedback on his explanatory Bitcoin page. Kiba is responding to inaccuracies he perceives in the text.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
nickwit (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 06:22:15 AM

Ok - tweaked various bits of copy and have taken out the insecurity of using the same published account-number.

Agonised over my comment that Fiat Currency being "designed by the rich, and is controlled by the rich so they can get richer, just by already being rich.".

Not as accurate as saying it was "designed by a 500 year old European Aristocracy, and controlled by a cabal of international bankers so they can get richer by already being rich"... but I think the problem we face now goes wider and deeper than that - and there is poetic license to consider.

Simply by having this laptop, by global standards I'm rich. I as a white person living in a former colony am a benefactor of unspeakable, and unspoken crimes.

But ignoring relativity for the moment, and arbitrarily using the Western middle-class of the 1970s as a baseline, we are now specifically under attack by an aristocracy "the rich", and fiat currency is an instrument of that attack - as it has been for hundreds of years. The entire system is geared so money flows uphill without the "uphill" having to do anything... "Investors"... and people seem to think this is a law of nature. It isn't. It's a scam.

We're not living through a recession, we're living through a heist:

http://www.stateofworkingamerica.org/pages/interactive#/?start=1997&end=2008

The entire system has been maneuvered to a state where large corporations (predominantly F.I.RE and military) skim the entire surplus that a society creates - a type of hyper/meta-capitalism that is utterly divorced from actually getting anything done.

"The Rich" (ie: people who make money simply by having money) are the benefactors of this, regardless of how they originally acquired their money - although I do personally have some sympathy with the notion that "behind every great fortune is a great crime".

It's only called "class war" when we try to fight back... aka: dare to meekly complain.

So I'll stick by my statement.

--

This being a statement rather than any attempt to debate - as a flip-side to Austrian-School free-market fundamentalists not being interested in evidence (it's true, look it up), I'm ONLY interested in evidence. "Debate" as a means to measure the veracity of theories is a recipe for cockup. You know - like the one we're living through at the moment.

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2011, 06:29:24 AM

This being a statement rather than any attempt to debate - as a flip-side to Austrian-School free-market fundamentalists not being interested in evidence (it's true, look it up), I'm ONLY interested in evidence. "Debate" as a means to measure the veracity of theories is a recipe for cockup. You know - like the one we're living through at the moment.

Knowledge is not acquired through calling opponents names or being the most persuasive in a debate.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: