Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:14:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to protect your bitcoin online wallet from hackers  (Read 365 times)
TriplexXx (OP)

Activity: 176
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 04:07:48 PM
Last edit: March 13, 2018, 01:46:31 PM by TriplexXx
Merited by WatchMaker (5)

Always use strong VPN that'll encrypt your connection when accessing your bitcoin wallet.
Always use strong password and you may also use password manager if you like e.g. LastPass
Always enable the 2FA in your bitcoin wallet and use Google Authenticator to secure your wallet  
Install anti-browser pop-up to prevent you from going to phishing site accidentally e.g. AdblockPlus

Feel free to contribute with more tips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 04:12:17 PM

Always use strong VPN that'll encrypt your connection when accessing your bitcoin wallet.
Always use strong password and you may also use password manager if you like e.g. LastPass
Always enable the 2FA in your bitcoin wallet and use Google Authenticator to secure your wallet 
Install anti-browser pop-up to prevent you from going to phishing site accidentanlly e.g. AdblockPlus

Everything you said is referring to Online Wallets. You shouldn't use them in the first place as they are the least secure type of wallet out there. Using desktop wallet or even bretter hardware wallet as its the best current standards are offering will give you the most protection.
TriplexXx (OP)

Activity: 176

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 04:25:37 PM

Install anti-browser pop-up to prevent you from going to phishing site accidentanlly e.g. AdblockPlus

Everything you said is referring to Online Wallets. You shouldn't use them in the first place as they are the least secure type of wallet out there. Using desktop wallet or even bretter hardware wallet as its the best current standards are offering will give you the most protection.
Most beginners start with bitcoin online wallets. they are exposed to the dangers of online threats such as phishing sites and other forms malicious activities online. hackers take advantage of newcomers and the ones learning about bitcoin with no prior knowledge on how or where to save their bitcoins securely.   
bit-freedom

Activity: 658
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 04:45:15 PM

Thanks for the tips, but is VPN really secure? I am not an expert in this field. What I have done is to secure my computer with antivirus software and use hardware wallets to keep the bulk of my coins.
TitanAI

Activity: 232
Merit: 32

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 04:45:31 PM

I am not a beginner but I still find it more user friendly to use the online version (especially if you are lazy like me), besides that i almost got tricked by a good phishing page because of the dirt on my laptop's monitor.

Read this article https://cryptoplanet.club/beware-of-mew-scam-do-not-be-fooled/ and take caution, always verify the link that you use, better type it yourself in the browser, don't use auto-complete, and don't click on any links from anyone, even friends might be infected with malware and they could send you wrong links.

Sunnyyy

Activity: 118
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 04:52:49 PM

I protect my electronic wallet by using a long password for security purposes. Avoid posting any information on WEP sites to prevent hacker attacks. Be careful with any reports sent to you asking for your password

●●⚫  CRYPTONITY  ▐|  The Crypto Community Exchange ▐|
Public Sale 1 Starts: Nov 1, 2018 ▐|● https://tokensale.cryptonity.io
DAVETUN

Activity: 728
Merit: 101

Bitcoin is the currency of this age

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 05:13:19 PM

Hackers always look for opportunity have access to your device,to guard against this avoid visiting  unsecure site, do not save your wallet ID on any site, do not click a link from a mail seems to a freebies gift, It the digital world, you are responsible for your own security.
fiulpro

Activity: 1862
Merit: 830

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 05:19:51 PM

You should just get hardware wallet or go for some offline one ... because I don't trust these online wallets because they are very easily hacked thus I don't trust them at all.
When there is a wide variety available then why don't you just download an  offline one.?

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██
█████████▀██▀████████
████████▀
░░░░▀░░██████████
███████████▌░░▄▄▄░░░▀████████
███████
█████░░░███▌░░░█████████
███
████████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
█████████▀░░░▄████░░░░█████████
███
████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀░░░░▄████████
█████
███▌▄█░░▄▄▄▄█████████
▀████
██████▄██
██████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀
.BitcoinCleanUp.com.

.     Debunking Bitcoin's Energy Use     .
███████████████████████████████
███████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀████████
███████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄███████
███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄████████████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
...#EndTheFUD...
trollercoaster
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 05:32:56 PM

For online wallets, no matter what you do you won't be safe enough compared to other wallet types. Online wallets might do the trick for you if you are a beginner. But as you keep moving forward you'll need safer options. Hardware Wallets at this point offer you the best privacy but also it's not very practical compared to browser & software wallets. I prefer software wallets as I trust the security of my computer. I would suggest building up the security in your system and setting up a software wallet after ensuring security.
novogum

Activity: 416
Merit: 104

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 09:23:03 PM

Online wallet is convenient if you need access to it from different devices and different parts of the world. But the hardware wallet is not worse, but supports fewer different cryptocurrencies. Now have become frequent cases phishing. Therefore, you should always check the site on which you go.
beskid

Activity: 252
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 09:33:12 PM

Use a small amount for everyday needs In real life, you do not carry every day all your money in your pocket.  As with real money, you must distribute your Bitcoin funds and keep the necessary amount that covers your daily expenses in your mobile or online wallet.  Distribution of your funds among several depositories, reduces to zero the possibility of the theft of all your funds for one time. 
  Create a backup of your wallet It's very important to have a backup of your wallet.  Keeping a backup copy of Bitcoin purse in a safe place helps to restore it in the event of a computer outage or several human errors.  It can also help you restore your wallet if your mobile phone has been stolen. 
daddypastes

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 09:46:20 PM

in my opinion,if we have earning in bitcoin much better to withdraw and put into bank for safer way and abouding hacker....because in online wallets, no matter what you do you won't be safe enough compared to bank.... Online wallets might do the trick for you if you are a beginner. But as you keep moving forward you'll need safer options. Hardware Wallets at this point offer you the best privacy but also it's not very practical compared to browser & software wallets.... I would suggest building up the security in your system and setting up a software wallet after ensuring security....we all protect our invest for our future....
bhubur22122017

Activity: 140
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 09:59:12 PM

Feedback from you is very precise, but still can be stolen ,, I think the safest is to use hardwallet because it is stronger also more secure.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 10:19:06 PM

The only thing you can't prevent if you are using an online wallet is hackers, targeting the wallet service provider. If the hackers are attacking the wallet's server itself, it doesn't matter if you are using 2FA or anything smart and safe solution to prevent your coins, if they hack the server of the wallet, they can send out the coins to any kind of address, because most online wallet providers doesn't keep your coins in separated wallets but in their centralized database. The coins are usually in 'cold wallets' and if they get the access to these wallets, they can do whatever they want, they don't need your login details or anything to spend all of the coins. So think twice before you use an online wallet for storing a meaningful amount of bitcoin...
stuffokator

Activity: 30
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 10:21:59 PM

I'm also researching this topic. What about mobile wallets such as Airbitz or breadwallet? Can they be considered as "more secure" than typical online wallets?
Rresty776

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 10:24:21 PM

If you MUST use an online wallet for a significant amount of time, then do the following:

1. Only store small amounts of BTC on an online, web wallet. This way, if it gets hacked (even if the server gets hacked), then you only lose a little bit.

2. I would take the highest security measure and use a $200 notebook that only runs on a bootable USB drive (clean OS install each time) to manage your online wallet. Never use that notebook for anything else but logging onto your online wallet and conducting transactions. This way, there's a very infinitesimal chance that your notebook will ever get malware that could steal your online wallet's login info.
rodskee

Activity: 2366
Merit: 191

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 10:31:43 PM

I always check  your online wallet everyday for your protection for the safety change your password  every month or twice a month but take note every time you change the password of your online wallet put white down in the piece  of paper incase you forgot the password and keep it into the safe place.

elwiswoodie

Activity: 378
Merit: 16

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 10:34:18 PM

thanks his tips
but I do not really believe in online wallet
I'd better keep it on a desktop wallet or wallet hardware with full control of my own
Once again, thank you
mersal

Activity: 1204
Merit: 38

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 10:36:01 PM

Hacking is a big problem for online currencies but there are many things for prevrnting your bitcoins in a safer place if you do all possible security settings for your wallet you account will not definitely be hacked by someone.
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 10:57:59 PM

VPN privacy is overrated. You're tunneling your private data over an insecure medium. And then you're trusting the VPN not to snoop on your data (or to keep IP logs on you). Most of your holdings should be in cold storage (VPN should be irrelevant). Even your spending wallet can be on an air-gapped computer, where you push only signed transactions from an online machine. You can use TOR to do so for privacy purposes.

Only for an online wallet or third party signing setup (as the title implies). In practice, I recommend against both. I much prefer an offline signing environment. Multisig can be used for additional security.

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: