Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:29:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are nodes so slow to confirm transactions?  (Read 159 times)
thesavoyard (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 05:05:43 PM

I understand why it takes time for miners to pick up a transaction, they have 1mb limit per block they win and they prioritize higher fees. But why is it that you get stuck on 1-2 confirmations for so long? It's already been mined, it should spread through the BTC nodes fast, shouldn't it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 05:10:58 PM

The confirmation count is the first block which actually contains the transaction plus the blocks after that.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 05:27:34 PM

I understand why it takes time for miners to pick up a transaction, they have 1mb limit per block they win and they prioritize higher fees. But why is it that you get stuck on 1-2 confirmations for so long? It's already been mined, it should spread through the BTC nodes fast, shouldn't it?

confirms are not created based on how fast they relay through the network.

so, let me explain

it takes time for a pool to choose which transaction to add to a block. usually they pick the highest fee first and then let in cheaper ones if room. once accepted and that pools block wins the race of getting a solved block via hasing(mining) before other pools, the transactions in that block then are deemed to have 1 confirm.

the next block has other transactions and when the block is solved that block has one confirm, meaning the previous block(containing your tx) is deemed as having 2 confirmations.

with each new block created gives the previous blocks +1 confirms.. so if there were 3 block created after the one containing your tx. that means your tx has 4 confirms.

the whole 'confirm in 10minutes' is NOT A RULE.. its a suggested guideline for ELI-5 speak(plain speak/laymans terms). the bitcoin code is actually to aim for 2016 blocks over 2 weeks, and thats the policy.. nothing more...
which ony for the purpose of plain speak/laymens terms/ELI-5 translates to 144 blocks a day or 1 block every 10 minutes.. but as i said thats not a rule thats just laymens speak translating the 2 week policy into more understandable term/timeframe for average joe to grasp

some blocks can be found in just a couple minutes or a couple hours. which is why some 'confirms' can happen quickly or take along time

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
thesavoyard (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 12, 2018, 10:52:37 PM

confirms are not created based on how fast they relay through the network.

so, let me explain

it takes time for a pool to choose which transaction to add to a block. usually they pick the highest fee first and then let in cheaper ones if room. once accepted and that pools block wins the race of getting a solved block via hasing(mining) before other pools, the transactions in that block then are deemed to have 1 confirm.

the next block has other transactions and when the block is solved that block has one confirm, meaning the previous block(containing your tx) is deemed as having 2 confirmations.

with each new block created gives the previous blocks +1 confirms.. so if there were 3 block created after the one containing your tx. that means your tx has 4 confirms.

the whole 'confirm in 10minutes' is NOT A RULE.. its a suggested guideline for ELI-5 speak(plain speak/laymans terms). the bitcoin code is actually to aim for 2016 blocks over 2 weeks, and thats the policy.. nothing more...
which ony for the purpose of plain speak/laymens terms/ELI-5 translates to 144 blocks a day or 1 block every 10 minutes.. but as i said thats not a rule thats just laymens speak translating the 2 week policy into more understandable term/timeframe for average joe to grasp

some blocks can be found in just a couple minutes or a couple hours. which is why some 'confirms' can happen quickly or take along time

Thanks for clarifying, it kind of makes masternodes more attractive though. Waiting for 3 confirms as a payment should take 30 minutes on a normal day. Is lightening addressing this issue for retailers or solely for p2p?

bayu7adi

Activity: 1400
Merit: 544

paper money is going away

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2018, 10:56:57 PM

blockchain will undergo a revolution as well
because more and more users are coming for cryptocurrency
then, blockchain technology should also be updated
Tooevilforyou

Activity: 65
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 20, 2018, 01:36:04 PM

It's because of the number of transactions going through at the same time which affects the speed of the nodes and how fast transactions go through.
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 09:41:49 PM

blockchain will undergo a revolution as well
because more and more users are coming for cryptocurrency
then, blockchain technology should also be updated
The next step for bitcoin and the technology is the Lightning network. It's in beta testing now, but don't expect really quick implementation, because there's a lot to do still in the development.
This solution will solve the problem of the slow confirmation, so if you don't want to get involved in testing, you only need to wait. More and more people are interested in bitcoin and the other cryptos, but I don't see their willingness to learn about it, all they want to know is that the cryptos are the key to be rich, really quickly, the details are not important for most of them...
utiltox

Activity: 210
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 09:46:41 PM

because we have an imperfect Internet, little speed of data processing.therefore, transactions are delayed during transactions
jems

Activity: 854
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 10:57:27 PM

because we have an imperfect Internet, little speed of data processing.therefore, transactions are delayed during transactions
Stop saying anything you do not understand it, the OP has got the answer and your post is just a waste of time.
re-read and stop spaming. Cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: