Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:07:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you secretly hope the USA defaults so that BTC might skyrocket in price?  (Voting closed: October 17, 2013, 08:23:11 PM)
Yes - 81 (43.3%)
No - 50 (26.7%)
Encrypted Money Baby! - 56 (29.9%)
Total Voters: 187

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Be Honest- who hopes the USA defaults so BTC skyrockets?  (Read 4234 times)
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 12:24:06 PM

I can't wait to see USA burn. The more you know about this country, the more you realize how hopelessly F***ed up it is.

What the price of bitcoin does is secondary to me.

I'm grumpy!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheEmperor

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 12:40:48 PM

In a post apocalyptic country, maybe those Monsanto GM crops won't be so bad after all  Wink

Not funny.

Whats wrong with being reliant on a mega corporation bent on profit at all costs?

Like 99% of Americans and the Government then?

The more you know about this country, the more you realize how hopelessly F***ed up it is.

Unless your an American, in which case you just want things to continue on the way the are. (Or so is the consensus I get from posts on here)

All aboard the gravy train, whoop whoop!!!!  Roll Eyes

1. Buy a sword.
2. Name it Kindness.
3. Kill people with Kindness.
Shermo

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 12:49:19 PM

On topic, I think they should default but whether right now is the time I don't know. But their debt is rising at an alarming rate and at some point you have to say "enough is enough" and actually do something about it.

It utterly amazes me how a country cant get something as simple as balancing how much it spends and how much income it gets from taxes. Sure it's done on a huge scale, but mega corporations do their accounts and seem to make profits.

Speaking of corporations making profits, its about time that the USA and other countries like the UK really get to grips with these big companies that are avoiding paying their fair share of taxes by jumping through hoops and exploiting loopholes.
TheEmperor

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 01:19:00 PM

On topic, I think they should default but whether right now is the time I don't know. But their debt is rising at an alarming rate and at some point you have to say "enough is enough" and actually do something about it.

It utterly amazes me how a country cant get something as simple as balancing how much it spends and how much income it gets from taxes. Sure it's done on a huge scale, but mega corporations do their accounts and seem to make profits.

Speaking of corporations making profits, its about time that the USA and other countries like the UK really get to grips with these big companies that are avoiding paying their fair share of taxes by jumping through hoops and exploiting loopholes.

Completely agree. I think a default would be a serious wake up call and the event to initiate change.

True, but most company's don't blow billions on wars and secret research and on spying on its employees, etc. Plus companys books are audited so eventually they will come unstuck. Who audits the government's books, another government department? Or a ratings agency...the same ones that told us 10,000 sub prime mortgages where AAA!

True that, while the US and UK govs need to up there game, it also has to be with help from these tax loophole country's. Good to see this today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24542794

1. Buy a sword.
2. Name it Kindness.
3. Kill people with Kindness.
kehtolo

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 01:54:33 PM

True that, while the US and UK govs need to up there game, it also has to be with help from these tax loophole country's. Good to see this today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24542794
[/quote]

It's jusst a pity that it won't make a bind bit of differencce as they'll just nominate Bermuda or Cayman Islands or somewhere else with 0% rate instead.
The only thing this will do is make them think twice about it. By that i mean the corporations and other governments and durastictions. It may begin the long slow process of tightening the net.. but unless you get all countries to agree on taxation, there will always be somewhere for them to go.

The next 24 hours are critical!
Xer0

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

°^°

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:25:44 PM

I can't wait to see USA burn. The more you know about this country, the more you realize how hopelessly F***ed up it is.

What the price of bitcoin does is secondary to me.

+1 ecactly that

i dont hate America, its a beatiful country. but their politics really sucks
ranmn7

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 07:45:20 PM

It appears that there are many assumptions going on here, and to be honest I'm not certain exactly what the consequences of a default would be, but some posts here assume that a Government default is the same as the US Dollar collapsing.

These are two very different events, with very different ramifications.

The US Government defaulting would most likely cause as huge decrease in value of the US Dollar, but that in itself is not a complete collapse of the currency. The default would cause interest rates on the US Debt to increase, probably to the point where the US would not be able to pay all its debts which would eventually result in a collapse of the dollar, since the Federal Reserve would simply print more and more currency. (they are already doing that at the rate of $800 Billion a month).

The US Dollar collapsing completely is a far more significant situation, with far reaching ramifications. If you've followed other country's currency collapse, typically they issue a new currency, with some buy back of the old currency at some % of value towards the new currency. The problem is that the US Dollar is the world trade currency, and most other FIAT currencies are valued off the US Dollar. So this would be a world affecting event, extremely bad for all countries involved. (I am certain that the world banking organization, WBO, already has plans in place for handling this situation, and I guarantee bitcoin isn't going to be part of that plan).

I believe that something like BTC, which is not controlled by any government is eventually the proper way to go. But there isn't currently, and never will be, nearly enough BTC in circulation. Not to mention that making BTC valid currency for world trade would make a lot of ppl on here insanely wealthy, which the WBO will not allow.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:04:07 PM

It's over for now
But the topic should remain open for a few months whistle
http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/10/16/us-markets-global-idINBRE96S00E20131016

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:13:58 PM

High BTC prices are great and all, but the damage done to the U.S. economy could be far more damaging to my finances than any gain from bitcoin.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:15:03 PM

It's over for now
But the topic should remain open for a few months whistle
http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/10/16/us-markets-global-idINBRE96S00E20131016

Debt deal talk != Debt deal

However, it is likely to be voted on tonight.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:15:40 PM

High BTC prices are great and all, but the damage done to the U.S. economy could be far more damaging to my finances than any gain from bitcoin.

Buy more bitcoin?

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Habeler876

Activity: 624
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:15:42 PM

pretty much this. i need some time before a US default! namely to gradually move more assets into bitcoin.

Zakryze

Activity: 308

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 08:16:21 PM

Since this would hurt many people living in the US that are part of my trust network this would hurt me too (not materialistic but when they suffer i do too).
I don't think its a fun thing to watch economies crash as we're all interconnected in one way or another.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

SNttx1hwtpf8TQEK7ZBojcvQrDmBaz9QPK SFC Addy
ranmn7

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:20:10 PM

Have to duck, to avoid being hit by the can they are kicking down the road. Smiley
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:23:16 PM

Buy more bitcoin?
Maybe. Unless my business closes.  Undecided

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
niothor

Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 09:32:29 PM

+1

Let's compare how many jobs are lost worldwide if US defaults , and how many jobs are created if bitcoin goes to 1000.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Zakryze

Activity: 308

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 09:36:49 PM

+1

Let's compare how many jobs are lost worldwide if US defaults , and how many jobs are created if bitcoin goes to 1000.

I think if the bitcoin goes to 1000 many people will be selfemployed investors/devs/webdesigners and offer their service for Bitcoin on their own. I havent seen many regular fulltime jobs paid in Bitcoin so far and I think it won't change too much. How would you do proper accounting that way anyway?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

SNttx1hwtpf8TQEK7ZBojcvQrDmBaz9QPK SFC Addy
niothor

Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 09:42:27 PM

+1

I think if the bitcoin goes to 1000 many people will be selfemployed investors/devs/webdesigners and offer their service for Bitcoin on their own. I havent seen many regular fulltime jobs paid in Bitcoin so far and I think it won't change too much. How would you do proper accounting that way anyway?

And what stops them doing that now?
Who will employ them and why aren't they doing now?
Those people are already working right now , if they haven't got a job please explain me WHY would somebody hire them if bitcoin price will be 1000.

One reason per second please , don't overwhelm me

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 11:05:54 PM

It appears that there are many assumptions going on here, and to be honest I'm not certain exactly what the consequences of a default would be, but some posts here assume that a Government default is the same as the US Dollar collapsing.

These are two very different events, with very different ramifications.

The US Government defaulting would most likely cause as huge decrease in value of the US Dollar, but that in itself is not a complete collapse of the currency. The default would cause interest rates on the US Debt to increase, probably to the point where the US would not be able to pay all its debts which would eventually result in a collapse of the dollar, since the Federal Reserve would simply print more and more currency. (they are already doing that at the rate of $800 Billion a month).

The US Dollar collapsing completely is a far more significant situation, with far reaching ramifications. If you've followed other country's currency collapse, typically they issue a new currency, with some buy back of the old currency at some % of value towards the new currency. The problem is that the US Dollar is the world trade currency, and most other FIAT currencies are valued off the US Dollar. So this would be a world affecting event, extremely bad for all countries involved. (I am certain that the world banking organization, WBO, already has plans in place for handling this situation, and I guarantee bitcoin isn't going to be part of that plan).

I believe that something like BTC, which is not controlled by any government is eventually the proper way to go. But there isn't currently, and never will be, nearly enough BTC in circulation. Not to mention that making BTC valid currency for world trade would make a lot of ppl on here insanely wealthy, which the WBO will not allow.

The cash increases at a rate of about 7 billion USD per month currently, credit created at Fed about 85 billion per month. Existing cash is 1200 billion USD, existing credit (M2) 10000 billion USD.
From random website http://www.data360.org/graph_group.aspx?Graph_Group_Id=1315

Cash inflation 7*12/1200 * 100 = 7%
Credit inflation 85*12/10000 * 100 = about  10.2 % (This number can not be accurately defined).

I agree that when credit expansion start to fail, printing (M0 ) will start to increase limited only by  the capacity of the literal printing presses. So price reductions over all when the credit is rejected due to risk, price increases restored after literal printing has been going on for some time, then after price inertia is exhausted, excessive price hikes. It's at least a possibility, but we also have unpredictable politicians.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 11:08:06 PM

Destruction of the real economy is not from an eventual default, it comes from the general fucking with the markets including interest rate, and that has been going on for a long time.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: