Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 08:48:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TradeHill - Person to Person BTC Transfers Now Live!  (Read 3806 times)
Shinobi

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 12:52:15 AM

Jered,

I personally have no issue with this sort of thing and have long argued that convenience and simplicity were key to mass adoption of Bitcoin. I only mentioned the below because I wanted to rub the faces of the libertarian crowd in the fact any success Bitcoin enjoys will have come about by these sorts of transaction opportunities and not some any adherence to some crypto-rebel ideology.

It is interesting to see you say that you were drawn in by the decentralization of Bitcoin but then go on to say, in effect, that making money is what ultimately guides your decsion. Truth be told, the person-to-person service you provide *does* reduce decentralization, even if there are a gajillion transactions occurring - such a service requires trust that Tradehill won't some day be forced to hand over transaction logs - and, if you are really serious about legal compliance as you say you are, you will most definitely be keeping such logs.

You are right, though. Noone is forced to use it... yet. The danger is that, as these services grow in popularity, the development of the Bitcoin client as a stand-alone service may well fall to the wayside. In the same way that walking around with a suitcase of cash to buy a car will almost invariably result in raised eyebrows, if not a visit from the cops, there may one day be the same behavior should someone choose to send money outside of a the established Bitcoin pathways.

Where's the decentralization, anonymity crowd? They must be upset!

Ideally we'll have plenty of exchanges which will keep it decentralized.
It's an option but not at all required. You can maintain your anonymity by sending BTC in a regular manner.

_______
Thinking of using a cheap, yet reliable VPN? Go with PrivateInternetAccess. Not a referral link. Just a satisfied customer!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill) (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 01:55:11 AM

Shinobi,

I agree with everything you said. It does reduce decentralization, no doubt about that. We also agree that it is coming if we like it or not. Bitcoin needs to be less Linux and more Apple to continue to grow.
I said "if we don't do this we will lose users" that's not the same as saying money guides my decisions.  Do we want to make money.. yes, I wouldn't expect you to believe me if I say "no" to that one.
I believe we can make a lot of money while completely changing the financial system to benefit everyone more. Banks, credit cards and other organizations make a fortune charging way too much in fees.
I can write 5 pages about what I don't like about banks and why they're not fun to deal with. I'm sure I won't get too many arguments here on these forums. Simply put, if TradeHill doesn't grow it's user base by giving them what they want while maintaining our core values it won't expand. If it doesn't expand we can't move towards our dream of a far superior global financial system. My worst fear is a company motivated purely by profit that doesn't share our vision takes the lead and consolidates Bitcoin.

You have some really good points and I've enjoyed your posts.
If Bitcoin dies today, the eyes and minds that it has opened should be seen as a huge success but I believe this is just the beginning.

Jered Kenna

Jered,

I personally have no issue with this sort of thing and have long argued that convenience and simplicity were key to mass adoption of Bitcoin. I only mentioned the below because I wanted to rub the faces of the libertarian crowd in the fact any success Bitcoin enjoys will have come about by these sorts of transaction opportunities and not some any adherence to some crypto-rebel ideology.

It is interesting to see you say that you were drawn in by the decentralization of Bitcoin but then go on to say, in effect, that making money is what ultimately guides your decsion. Truth be told, the person-to-person service you provide *does* reduce decentralization, even if there are a gajillion transactions occurring - such a service requires trust that Tradehill won't some day be forced to hand over transaction logs - and, if you are really serious about legal compliance as you say you are, you will most definitely be keeping such logs.

You are right, though. Noone is forced to use it... yet. The danger is that, as these services grow in popularity, the development of the Bitcoin client as a stand-alone service may well fall to the wayside. In the same way that walking around with a suitcase of cash to buy a car will almost invariably result in raised eyebrows, if not a visit from the cops, there may one day be the same behavior should someone choose to send money outside of a the established Bitcoin pathways.

Ideally we'll have plenty of exchanges which will keep it decentralized.
It's an option but not at all required. You can maintain your anonymity by sending BTC in a regular manner.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 02:09:49 AM

Bitcoin needs to be less Linux and more Apple to continue to grow.

EEEEWWWWW!!!!!!

...but I get your point.  8^)

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 02:13:40 AM

Bitcoin needs to be less Linux and more Apple to continue to grow.

EEEEWWWWW!!!!!!

...but I get your point.  8^)

I prefer Linux personally but I prefer people using "Apple Bitcoin" to Bitcoin not being used.
Glad we agree on that one haha.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 02:17:41 AM

Shinobi, is it that difficult to comprehend the difference between coercive centralization (such as with the Federal Reserve) and market-based centralization (such as with a private firm gaining market share)? Are these two things really so indecipherable as to cause you confusion over why those who condemn the former might appreciate and encourage the latter?

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 03:40:37 AM

Shinobi, is it that difficult to comprehend the difference between coercive centralization (such as with the Federal Reserve) and market-based centralization (such as with a private firm gaining market share)? Are these two things really so indecipherable as to cause you confusion over why those who condemn the former might appreciate and encourage the latter?

I believe it was more of a friendly poke at the crowd. At least that's how I interpreted it.
I'm sure he understands the difference. I took the opportunity to express a personal opinion on the movement.
I'm really happy with how Bitcoin has progressed. This community never ceases to surprise me with what it's capable of.

Jered

moneyandtech.com
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 07:02:31 AM

Sounds great, thanks Jered.
Is there an API, or anything, where you can automate a payment (i.e. shopping cart integration) as long as both users have a Tradehill account?

Jered, how is the user withdraw to another user API call coming along?  Any luck with it coming out in the next couple of days?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: