Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:01:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible that I spoke with satoshi? Maybe another Bitcoin dev can answer  (Read 4511 times)
axilla (OP)

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 10:15:58 PM

as it possibly may have been them.

Around 2009 I was in #python on irc.freenode.net working on a project to build a frontend for another piece of software, completely unrelated to bitcoin.  At this point in life I had never even heard of bitcoins nor had 99% of anyone else i'd imagine.  A developer at the time was seeking someone to do some pair coding with.  I loved the idea and was just getting into pair coding so I responded to him and off we went into a private room, where he explained to me that he was working on code for a deflationary currency called, "Bitcoin."  He explained it in great detail to me over a voice chat session while we got the screen sharing and code sharing working.  As we had some issues I had quite a bit of time to chat with him.

Fast forward to 2011, I stumbled across bitcoin again and got HIGHLY interested in it.  All these years later I wonder if I was writing code with THE satoshi.  Maybe another bitcoin dev remembers this night and can clear the air, but its made me curious ever since.  

Some facts that I remember.  The person I worked with spoke near perfect english, with no accent.  That doesn't mean they weren't of another race, just most likely they were either VERY educated in the english language or were american by birth.

Edit:  The code we worked on together had to do with transactions.  We spent about 4hrs one night working together and I never saw or spoke to the guy again.  He said he wanted to try pair coding and that's what we did.

Growth-O-Matic Grow your business, and increase brand awareness | While everyone else delivers your news to the wire, hoping it gets picked up, we put your press release in front of the eyes of the top bloggers, writers, and decision makers in your industry.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 10:25:43 PM

Around 2009 I was in #python on irc.freenode.net working on a project to build a frontend for another piece of software, completely unrelated to bitcoin.  At this point in life I had never even heard of bitcoins nor had 99% of anyone else i'd imagine.  A developer at the time was seeking someone to do some pair coding with.  

Maybe it is archived somewhere.  Help us find it.

What was your ID there?
What was the project?
What was the piece of software?
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 10:29:10 PM

What? How could Satoshi perform such a blunder compromising his identity?

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
axilla (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 10:30:21 PM

Around 2009 I was in #python on irc.freenode.net working on a project to build a frontend for another piece of software, completely unrelated to bitcoin.  At this point in life I had never even heard of bitcoins nor had 99% of anyone else i'd imagine.  A developer at the time was seeking someone to do some pair coding with.  

Maybe it is archived somewhere.  Help us find it.

What was your ID there?
What was the project?
What was the piece of software?

my id most likely would have been exactly the same as it is here.. axilla, i was working on a frontend for Zabbix the network monitoring tool.  I wanted to create a stand alone QT interface.

Growth-O-Matic Grow your business, and increase brand awareness | While everyone else delivers your news to the wire, hoping it gets picked up, we put your press release in front of the eyes of the top bloggers, writers, and decision makers in your industry.
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 10:34:59 PM

Thank you.
axilla (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 10:35:29 PM

What? How could Satoshi perform such a blunder compromising his identity?

i'm not so sure it was a blunder or that he compromised his identity... if I heard 1000 voices i'd never be able to pick it out from a lineup, it may have been any other of the devs that worked on bitcoin early, immediately after its release.  Unless we could find a chat transcript from the channel that shows a timestamp I'm not exactly sure when this took place other than a general time frame it could have been any time before or after the release of the bitcoin protocol to the wild.  

especially since at the time, in my head i was thinking, "this will never work, but cool idea!" and i quickly forgot about the entire incident probably pretty instantly since i fell asleep and never spoke to this person or repeated the act again.  It's just ya know, I had a moment with an early adopter of bitcoins that may or may not have been satoshi or one of the people on Team Satoshi, and ever since getting into bitcoin i've always wanted to put the thoughts to rest..  I already know what could have been, since the guy sent me the client and I could have mined 10's of thousands of coins with my CPU at some point had I just got on board with my first run in with bitcoin.

gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 10:40:10 PM

but its made me curious ever since.  
Isn't it more fun to wonder than to know? Smiley
axilla (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 10:43:10 PM

Thank you.

it never amounted to much and I actually quit working on the project soon after as I moved on to other things, but I did post what little code I had written to github a couple years ago when I was cleaning off some drives.  I was calling it ZabMon and the code can be found here.

https://github.com/fluffheadsr/ZabMon

if that helps scour the web.

Edit: Please ignore the shitty code, i was but a young pup and my fu was not so strong.

axilla (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 10:43:49 PM

but its made me curious ever since.  
Isn't it more fun to wonder than to know? Smiley

of course, but I figured it would be a good topic of conversation for bitcointalk Smiley  unless another dev could come in here and go, "yea that was me, we did it together."  Also now i'm just such a huge fanboy of his engineering abilities that I get a bit giddy thinking about it. LOL 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: