Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:47:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin group on Facebook get taken down?  (Read 5173 times)
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 07:43:26 AM

There was a Bitcoin group on Facebook that I no longer see in my list of groups, and no longer see any status updates from.

When I search for Bitcoin, I see about 50 organizations, users and pages but all have too few members to be the group I remember seeing before.

One of the most active participants was "Satoshi Nakamoto" (yes, likely it was not the real Satoshi) -- and when I search for that Facebook user I see no less than 20 other Satoshi Nakamotos but not the one with the avatar I remember seeing before.

Did Facebook take down the Bitcoin group and freeze some user accounts?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
indicasteve

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 08:16:31 AM

OK...I've been into computers since way before there was even such a thing as email via the fidonet backbone...  and I still don't get the hype about facebook...am I really missing something?   ... cuz I still haven't joined.

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 08:25:15 AM

Facebook has become quite anal about the difference between 'groups,' 'pages' and 'profiles'. Make the wrong one and you get deleted.

The only Facebook page I'm aware of is http://www.facebook.com/bitcoins

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Chick

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 08:29:31 AM

OK...I've been into computers since way before there was even such a thing as email via the fidonet backbone...  and I still don't get the hype about facebook...am I really missing something?   ... cuz I still haven't joined.

I use it as a collaboration-with-my-friends tool.

hsf_context

Activity: 67

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 08:32:35 AM

Facebook... yeah might have a hint of hype for me. But a good tool for sharing information with friends.

Digital artist for hire! Sketches anyone?
Want a custom Photoshop artwork? PM me! GIF banners available too!
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 08:50:15 AM
Last edit: July 23, 2011, 09:54:48 AM by Stephen Gornick

Facebook has become quite anal about the difference between 'groups,' 'pages' and 'profiles'. Make the wrong one and you get deleted.

The only Facebook page I'm aware of is http://www.facebook.com/bitcoins

Hmm ... that is a Facebook page, and what i had seen before was a Facebook group.  But some of the posts on that page look familiar, except with this there is no Satoshi Nakamoto who was the name that had made many of the posts.  So, I've no idea.  

I wonder what happened.

This will work though.  Thanks!

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

interfect

Activity: 141

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 09:08:15 AM

Facebook has been going around and deleting all groups that are "too big" to be groups of mutual friends. I think technically they are migrating them to the "new format" and dropping all the members. So maybe that's what happened to it.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 09:55:02 AM

Me neither.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 10:06:58 AM

Here is the bitcoin group, showing currently 4180+ members

http://www.facebook.com/bitcoins

Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 10:39:03 AM

Here is the bitcoin group, showing currently 4180+ members

But that isn't a Facebook group.  It is a Facebook page.  It has 4180+ people who "like" the page, but a page has no "members".  

I've since found out what liikely happened.  Nearly a year ago Facebook introduced "new groups" for connecting smaller groups of people who you know.  For businesses (which "Bitcoin" likely falls under), they want Facebook pages to be used instead of Facebook groups.
 - http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150249514781340

The old groups all got closed and no longer show up in any searches -- instead you need to have a link to it (or know the URL) if you are not already a member.  If you've left the group (which I must have done, somehow), having a link to it is the only way to get back in.

Additionally, I've since read that there have been rivalries between groups and reporting the group as "scam" enough times would cause it to disappear.  Though the Bitcoin "not a fan" club could have done that, a more likely explanation is tht the group I'm thinking of is still there, just that I'm no longer a member and can't see it in the search results.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 02:06:40 PM

Perhaps Google plus might be a good alternative? I used to use Facebook before they started to make unannounced interface changes and horrible privacy-leaking tweaks. Too much fail, I moved on. I don't have a google plus invite or I would - but I'm sure someone here can do so.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 03:07:31 PM

You are not alone, although I've never been to Second Life either =)
Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 03:12:14 PM

Oh yes, you're missing out on a lot. I was slow to join Facebook too because I don't get the hype (ditto friendster, twitter and myspace). Then somebody pointed how it could be used for stalking people, monitoring activities of people you suspect are up to no good (like your boyfriend claiming he's at work then checks in or tag another friend in a mall), getting pictures of indiscreet girls and boys, exposing yourself to the world and Facebook's intentionally inept privacy controls and... lemme think a while more on what else is there Wink

bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 04:21:23 PM

not to mention they log everything you ever said in their database.  wouldn't be suprised if they send info on ppl to the FBI.
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 04:27:32 PM

I am immune to facebook as well. Am also a pre-internet computer enthusiast.
Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 02:44:34 AM

not to mention they log everything you ever said in their database.  wouldn't be suprised if they send info on ppl to the FBI.

Even without that, I find Facebook's privacy policies and conduct rather unacceptable. Which is probably why I put no real info in my profile and do almost nothing on Facebook unless pestered by people or for work purposes.
mpfrank

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 05:00:51 AM

I hang out in this Bitcoin group, and a "Satoshi Nakamoto" posts there not infrequently...

http://www.facebook.com/groups/136003253120130

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
terroh8er

Activity: 64

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 06:14:40 AM

You aren't. I deleted my Facebook a couple of years ago. I'm not trying to be "too cool for Facebook" or anything, but I just don't see why I should care about how bored everyone says they are. If they aren't good enough friends to talk to on the phone every once in a while, I don't why I'd want to know what movies they like. Maybe this is the wrong attitude though, as networking is pretty important for job opportunities, etc.
MrCrabs

Activity: 121

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 12:49:16 AM

I tried to sell a Bitcoin on Trademe  (NZ's eBay). It got taken down.
I'm fairly sure they did not know what it was.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 12:59:34 AM

... I deleted my Facebook a couple of years ago.

I hope you are aware that your lamebook profile is still there...

Just try to login to it and you'll see it magically appearing from the bottomless pit that lamebook servers are.

I guess CIA must pay them well so they never delete your accounts. They just put them dormant.

That's the main reason i only use lamebook as a work/marketing tool and using completely fake personal information.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: