Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:11:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin group on Facebook get taken down?  (Read 5173 times)
indicasteve

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2011, 02:28:16 AM

I guess I find Facecrack lame because back in the day, I used to run my own dial-up BBS...ahh...those were the days.  Anyone remember Legend of the Red Dragon http://lord.lordlegacy.com/?   

And it was always local people who would hook up because long distance charges were expensive.   There were about 20 BBSs in my town and we were all posted on a shared list that was distributed to every computer store in town. 

Then one day the internet came to town and IT RUINED EVERYTHING!

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 03:22:39 AM

I guess I find Facecrack lame because back in the day, I used to run my own dial-up BBS...ahh...those were the days.  Anyone remember Legend of the Red Dragon http://lord.lordlegacy.com/?   

If my memory serves, there was something about Barak's mother in that BBS game Cheesy

Xephan

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 03:25:02 AM

... I deleted my Facebook a couple of years ago.

I hope you are aware that your lamebook profile is still there...

Just try to login to it and you'll see it magically appearing from the bottomless pit that lamebook servers are.

I guess CIA must pay them well so they never delete your accounts. They just put them dormant.

That's the main reason i only use lamebook as a work/marketing tool and using completely fake personal information.

Actually I don't think it's just Facebook.  Most places I worked at or worked for, never delete user/transaction data. It's almost always marked as deleted and/or shifted to an archive or readonly server, but always retrievable if needed Cheesy
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 03:39:30 AM

Here's another early 80's computer enthusiast who never had a facebook account.(1)  I didn't see much point, and increasingly I am sensitive about identity.

I've heard that Facebook has some creepy thing that facial recognition deal going and they will show a user a picture and ask them to pin a name to it.  That is downright alarming to me.  As I told my friends at work, one of the very few things that would induce me to beat somebody up would be if they pinned my name to a photo.

(1)  A heard or read somewhere that Facebook has pre-created nodes for every individual on earth and they just fill them out with whatever info they can get.  When one activates or de-activates an account, it just flips a bit.

Disclaimer:  I do not know with certainty any of the things I have mentioned about FB.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 03:53:19 AM

Facebook is indeed doing facial recognition crap. Though it asks you to confirm that it guessed your "friend" correctly in the picture.

As far as I know, Facebook is not creating accounts for anyone who has never signed up for the service.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 04:16:21 AM

Facebook is indeed doing facial recognition crap. Though it asks you to confirm that it guessed your "friend" correctly in the picture.

Interesting.  That is probably a better method for obtaining a clean facial recognition database.

As a non-FB-user, It will be very interesting (and _very_ alarming) if anyone happens to see my photo in one of their little 'is this your friend' games and I'll be asking about it.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 04:25:21 AM

OK...I've been into computers since way before there was even such a thing as email via the fidonet backbone...  and I still don't get the hype about facebook...am I really missing something?   ... cuz I still haven't joined.

LOL, And I thought that I am the only one 'not getting' Facebook.

-
Xephan

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 05:34:43 AM

I've heard that Facebook has some creepy thing that facial recognition deal going and they will show a user a picture and ask them to pin a name to it.  That is downright alarming to me.  As I told my friends at work, one of the very few things that would induce me to beat somebody up would be if they pinned my name to a photo.

Not sure about this, since I don't use Facebook extensively, but that was pretty much the same thing I told my friends about tagging me in a photo. Although I've set my settings not to allow these, Facebook had proven itself in the past to blithely ignore these settings or allowing access control bypass, whether out of pure incompetency or intent.
KenJackson

Activity: 127

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:36:41 AM

OK...I've been into computers since way before there was even such a thing as email via the fidonet backbone...  and I still don't get the hype about facebook...am I really missing something?   ... cuz I still haven't joined.

Gosh this is an excellent quote!  Everybody is quoting it and replying.  I wish I could say something half as quoted.

When I was a boy, I told people there were two things I wanted when I grew up: a computer and a nuclear reactor.  They seemed equally absurd and foreign to adults.   I never got my reactor of course, though I operated one in the Navy long before I owned a computer.

Instead of facebook, I like forum sites like this.  There are many, many forum sites with very active discussions on a wealth of topics.  But when mention forum sites to someone in love with facebook, I usually get a blank look.  Odd.

Xephan

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:53:54 AM

Instead of facebook, I like forum sites like this.  There are many, many forum sites with very active discussions on a wealth of topics.  But when mention forum sites to someone in love with facebook, I usually get a blank look.  Odd.

Getting seriously off-topic but I think this is an technology adoption generation gap (there probably is some formal academic term somewhere). The early early pioneers got into it from a very technical background e.g. 2400 baud modem BBS. This group + the university people would also adopted newsgroups and IRC, which then became popular with the early Internet users with the bloom of the HTTP-based Web. The online forumers became popular as access didn't require a separate client or learning how to connect with some new program (irc client) and are usually dedicated to a special subject hence the depth of discussion.

Finally even the technology laggards got into social networking through things like myspace and facebook because these inherently motivate people to get other people involved. Since that attracts just about everybody's grandparents and pets, the depth of discussion dwindle rapidly. Hence I'll think these people are the ones you get blank looks from, they are so in love with Facebook because that's probably the first major internet community they got into and didn't know anything before that.

Going by the means of N-to-N social communications, we have Gen BBS, Gen IRC, Gen Forum, Gen MFT (myspace, facebook, twitter)

I'm rambling Cheesy
oyster2000

Activity: 38

View Profile
August 02, 2011, 06:09:59 PM

yes i remember LORD and running up crazy telephone bills back in the early 90s.....

but facebook? i think you DO need it these days to find out about social events etc, but i have <30 friends/family added and im intending to keep it that way Cheesy

good post OP
modrobert

Activity: 355
Merit: 284

-"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2011, 06:53:57 PM

oyster2000

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:00:25 AM

If my memory serves, there was something about Barak's mother in that BBS game Cheesy

and voilet? or her haggard you get bit by
Taxlow

Activity: 21

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:17:05 AM

You have to have friends to enjoy facebook, just a computer isn't good enough
oyster2000

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:20:23 AM

not to argue on that photo above, but OP wtf
Yuusha

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 03:03:05 AM

... I deleted my Facebook a couple of years ago.

I hope you are aware that your lamebook profile is still there...

Just try to login to it and you'll see it magically appearing from the bottomless pit that lamebook servers are.

I guess CIA must pay them well so they never delete your accounts. They just put them dormant.

That's the main reason i only use lamebook as a work/marketing tool and using completely fake personal information.
You can send them an email and have them remove your account for good. I believe Lifehacker wrote an article detailing the process.
Xephan

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 11:00:57 AM

You can send them an email and have them remove your account for good. I believe Lifehacker wrote an article detailing the process.

This sounds like...
"...we provide a service to keep your wallet safe for you, there's no need to encrypt it. Despite being a documented asshole and being sued for stealing people's ideas, you can trust me and my company that I'll delete your private key from my database when you email me to. You can even test that your private key can no longer be found from the public front end..." Wink

teknohog

Activity: 519
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2011, 04:58:04 PM

Gosh this is an excellent quote!  Everybody is quoting it and replying.  I wish I could say something half as quoted.

Another oldschool geek here Wink I think others have already listed the sensible reasons for staying out of FB, such as privacy concerns. I also feel there are vague, emotional reasons, such as maintaining a divide between us and the non-geeks. For example, people used to sneer at geeks who were doing fun stuff online, say 10-20 years ago, but now the same people are doing the same things on FB.

There is also the general annoyance of FB as the overly hyped phenomenon that everyone should join just because everyone else does. It's like seeing McDonalds ads everywhere, which doesn't exactly increase my chances of ever wanting to eat there.

world famous math art | masternodes are bad, mmmkay?
Every sha(sha(sha(sha()))), every ho-o-o-old, still shines
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 05:01:04 PM

Keep drinking the kool-aid, dude... Roll Eyes
awozny

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 05:35:07 AM

Here's another one on FB:  http://www.facebook.com/bitcoinz
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: