Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:00:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Adoption Problem  (Read 1846 times)
OldGeek (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Blitz:The price affects the perception of the news

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:05:52 AM

The Bitcoin Adoption Problem
(We live in a fiat denominated world)

Warning:  A long, and likely boring, post.

Note:  I’m so new to Bitcoin that I might just as well be an outsider looking in.

Bitcoin, what a marvelous idea.  A decentralized currency which cannot be counterfeited and can be transmitted anywhere in the world fairly quickly and with minimal fees.

I read articles here that point out ways and means of expanding the use of Bitcoin.  The whys and wherefores of the need to expand general acceptance of Bitcoin seem to be ignoring the basics of everyday users.  Namely, the ongoing need to convert BTC to fiat.

Yes, I understand that the value of one BTC resides solely with the holder.  Some holders may value their BTC much differently than other holders.  The argument goes ‘One BTC is worth exactly one BTC’.  That’s fair and accurate until one should wish to exchange that BTC for goods and services.  At this point there can be an agreement on the relative worth or a disagreement.  Unless there is agreement, there will not be an exchange of BTC for goods or services.

Recruiting others to do business denominated in BTC is a worthwhile effort if you believe that the world actually needs a semi-anonymous decentralized currency system.  I will not dwell on the politics involved except to say that revolution and anarchy have proven to make some places in this world better for everyday humans.

So, you want me to start accepting BTC for the goods that I sell to the general public.  You are going to be faced with a difficult task.  Say that I own a small grocery store and employ six worthy individuals.  I have three main suppliers and about a dozen smaller, specialized, suppliers.

You approach me and say something like, ‘Hey you should start accepting BTC for your groceries’.  Now, being the progressive grocer that I am, I say, ‘You know what, I’d like to do that, but at this point it is impossible’.  Then you might say something like, ‘No, it’s really easy.  You just figure out what fraction of a BTC your groceries are worth and accept that for your payment’.  There is a big part of the disconnect.

I buy my supplies and goods with fiat.  I pay my employees with fiat.  I pay my rent and utilities with fiat.  My wife takes what is left and buys shoes and clothing for the children, spends the fiat at the beauty shop, pays her tuition in fiat dollars.  None of my suppliers of goods and services accept BTC and it is not very likely that they ever will.

So, then, the argument goes; convince all of those others to do business in BTC.  This amounts to a monumental task that would likely take two or three lifetimes to accomplish.  Consider the case of carrots.  Say I convinced my carrot supplier to accept BTC.  He would have to convince the broker to accept BTC.  The broker would have to convert the wholesaler.  The wholesaler would then tell the farmer that he can only pay with BTC.  The carrot farmer should reply, ‘Fine.  Who sells seed, fertilizer, fuel, and crop insurance for BTC?’  I’m not saying this is impossible forever; just that it will take quite a long time to accomplish.

There is another portion of the problem that will likely be more difficult and potentially impossible to deal with: utilities.  I invite you to speculate on when a city (pick one: Amsterdam, Paris, London, New York City, Sydney, Christchurch, Manila, etc.) will accept BTC as payment for their metered services.  Tell me which publicly traded telecom will take BTC in exchange for the cell phone bandwidth you use.  Short answer:  it’s not likely to happen in this lifetime.

So, you say, ‘Well, what about all the businesses now accepting BTC?’  To which I reply, ‘The owners are either holding the BTC hoping for future valuation increases, they have found a supplier that accepts BTC, or they are gambling on one of the exchanges, converting to fiat to pay the bills.’

I’ve read that BTC should be regarded as a store of value, much like gold.  I partially agree with that.  The early adopters will wholeheartedly agree.  Just exactly what is the value is a good question.  One BTC is valued at one BTC.  But, it isn’t likely that you can take your one-ounce bar of .9999 gold into the local utility office and pay your electric bill.

None of what I have written should be viewed as an attempt to discourage, or disparage, those who wish to promote the expansion of BTC.  Instead, what I aimed to do was describe the obstacles that I see in words that most everyone will understand.

Those of you who are waving the BTC flag and beating the drum loudly, I salute you.  Extolling the virtues of BTC is a fine thing to do if you are a holder, intend to be a holder in the future, or just plain hate the idea of central banks.  Just understand that your fight is not over until you have converted the entire supply chain to BTC.  You know, the chain with the very, very, long tail.

Until then, our everyday life is denominated in some fiat.

/Frank

Be Safe   Be Free   Be Informed    Be Alert
Support safety, freedom, information, and awareness.  All four accept donations of Bitcoin.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 03:12:58 AM

Many retailers accept BTC and then turn it into fiat on the spot.  It is a step you can do until your vendors start to do the same.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
OldGeek (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:30:10 AM

Many retailers accept BTC and then turn it into fiat on the spot.  It is a step you can do until your vendors start to do the same.

Absolutely.  However, I don't see any advantage in that unless the customer only has BTC to purchase with.

/Frank

Support safety, freedom, information, and awareness.  All four accept donations of Bitcoin.
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:32:51 AM

Absolutely.  However, I don't see any advantage in that unless the customer only has BTC to purchase with.

/Frank

Cheaper processing fees than credit cards.
btc4ever

Activity: 321

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:36:06 AM

One advantage at present is that you can still be the first merchant of X product to accept bitcoin, or first merchant in Y location to accept bitcoin and generate a bit of buzz that way, and list your store on various bitcoin sites, and hopefully get some new customers that way.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
OldGeek (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:39:24 AM

Yes, quite a lot too.  Still what I would be doing is acting as a facilitator in the transfer of wealth from the customer to the exchange.

/Frank

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4500

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:43:31 AM

first of all:

retailers do not accept bitcoin because of
you believe that the world actually needs a semi-anonymous decentralized currency system.

retailers acept bitcoin because there is less red tape then setting up a credit card system, less fee's then a credit card system, less headaches and delays.
did you know that when doing credit cards merchants do not receive the funds within a couple days, credit card companies wait until the end of the month and deduct 'fee's and then send to merchants.. bitcoin doesnt do this.

secondly a random new currency would go around and people would barter out a set price of value until everyone got together and found a average and collectively agreed value to use.. with bitcoin this is already done, so there is no letting the grocer pick a price for his apples and then have customers argue and barter as much over the value.. bitcoin already has a known value point to use..... the value from the main exchanges.

now the bit about wages,suppliers and the wifes fiat.

merchants do not pay staff wages with customers credit card debt, suppliers, wifes shoes etc all the same.. they pay in fiat.. which is the money that the credit card receives AFTER sending their customers the bill. the customers pay the creditcard company FIAT and that FIAT is passed onto the the merchants..

bitcoin is the credit card companies
credit card companies convert debt into FIAT
bitpay and bips convert bitcoin into fiat

the only difference is bitpay and bips do it faster, less fee's, less headache and less.. well less everything compared to a credit card company.

imagine it this way of why bitcoin is great for customers and businesses.
take starbuck as a future example of the way to pay (because they dont yet)
Credit card:
customer queues up, waits a few minutes, requests a latte, gets told the price and swipes their card.

Bitcoin:
customer sits at their table laughing at the queue of customers, scans a QR code from the coffe menu, presses send on their app.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
OldGeek (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:43:47 AM

One advantage at present is that you can still be the first merchant of X product to accept bitcoin, or first merchant in Y location to accept bitcoin and generate a bit of buzz that way, and list your store on various bitcoin sites, and hopefully get some new customers that way.

Yes, possible but not likely in my village of mostly agrarian neighbors.  

lol.  If I mention BTC to most of the folks around here I either get a puzzled look or else they say 'oh yeah.  That place where you buy guns, drugs, and pictures of nekkid wimmin'.

/Frank

OldGeek (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:48:50 AM

Bitcoin:
customer sits at their table laughing at the queue of customers, scans a QR code from the coffe menu, presses send on their app.

Don't misunderstand me.  I'm not saying anything against BTC.  I'm not advocating the use of fiat over BTC.  I'm merely pointing out some difficult steps that must be addressed if BTC is to become the widespread currency of the future.

/Frank

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:53:12 AM

lol.  If I mention BTC to most of the folks around here I either get a puzzled look or else they say 'oh yeah.  That place where you buy guns, drugs, and pictures of nekkid wimmin'.

/Frank

Not adopting because it's not right for your area [yet] is much different than not adopting because there's no good reason.  It's definitely not ready for widespread use yet, but it will get there.
AU

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 03:55:34 AM

we need atms people, thats it! the price will 10 fold overnight

-AU

Razer Blade 14" for sale
BTC: 1E1QQDq8keR9uVykmxSzo7CUYrWtQ6J9M8
HenryRomp

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

Separation of currency and state.

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 03:59:34 AM

I'm hoping somebody else will give you a thorough line-by-line, though you probably still won't get it. But I'll address my favorite little pieces:

There is another portion of the problem that will likely be more difficult and potentially impossible to deal with: utilities.  I invite you to speculate on when a city (pick one: Amsterdam, Paris, London, New York City, Sydney, Christchurch, Manila, etc.) will accept BTC as payment for their metered services.  Tell me which publicly traded telecom will take BTC in exchange for the cell phone bandwidth you use.  Short answer:  it’s not likely to happen in this lifetime.

I'll bet you one bitcoin that a publicly traded telecom will take BTC in exchange for cell phone bandwith within the next 9 months. No geographical limitations. I'd be willing to make a similar wager regarding utility bills in a major city, though I'd give 12 months for that. Care to gamble? There are plenty of great escrow services available to facilitate an honest transaction.

None of what I have written should be viewed as an attempt to discourage, or disparage, those who wish to promote the expansion of BTC.  Instead, what I aimed to do was describe the obstacles that I see in words that most everyone will understand.
Don't worry. Nothing you wrote will discourage anybody. The "obstacles" that you "see" are not obstacles at all. They reveal a basic lack of comprehension of the concept. Bitcoin is unstoppable. Nobody needs to go around trying to convince others to use it. Everybody will be forced to use it in order to remain competitive. The fools who cling to fiat longest will suffer the worst.

lol.  If I mention BTC to most of the folks around here I either get a puzzled look or else they say 'oh yeah.  That place where you buy guns, drugs, and pictures of nekkid wimmin'.
This is not at all surprising. That's the stage we're at right now. In six months all of  your neighbors will know what bitcoin is. In one year all of your neighbors will be using bitcoin. In five years none of your neighbors will be using fiat.

A properly secured wallet with bitcoin is in my opinion the safest, most secure, best all-around bet for holding wealth at this moment in history. Go ahead, call me crazy. They've been calling me crazy since 2013.
https://churchofbitcoin.org/
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:00:22 AM

my philospohy is this:

to pay for something with debit card
    Customers:
    requires bank account
    required to be of certain age
    required identity papers, to be passed onto the bank

Retailers:
    requires a merchant/business account.
    requires submitting company registration details
    requires a card processing providor and fee's

now

to pay with bitcoin
    Customers:
    download App
    find someone nearby on localbitcoins.com or mine them - no paperwork needed

Retailers:
    download App
    find someone on localbitcoins.com or sign upto bitpay/bips

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
OldGeek (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:10:56 AM

This is not at all surprising. That's the stage we're at right now. In six months all of  your neighbors will know what bitcoin is. In one year all of your neighbors will be using bitcoin. In five years none of your neighbors will be using fiat.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for BTC.  You may not understand the rural area where I live and love.  It took nine years for our state to legalize liquor by the drink after all of our adjacent states had it.  One may hope for progress.

Thanks for the offer to gamble.  I don't do much gambling.  I hope you are right in your estimated timetables.

/Frank

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:44:26 AM

I see this quite often. Where do u live, guys? In a 3rd world country? Banks have to compete and now it's hard to find any that charges fee for credit card transactions (they earn profit by holding ur money). In my country.
doof

Activity: 765
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 06:01:56 AM

My wife takes what is left and buys shoes and clothing for the children, spends the fiat at the beauty shop, pays her tuition in fiat dollars.
Lucky you, my wife takes that first then what is left is to pay the bills!

Its an accurate description of the problem.  You could offer to pay your staff 1btc + rest in fiat. 

I try spread btc by paying mates back in BTC.  If we go out for lunch, someone always wants to put the bill on their credit card for the group, and take cash off everyone.  I offer to pay them in BTC.   Then hopefully, then can do the same...
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 06:14:13 AM

This is not at all surprising. That's the stage we're at right now. In six months all of  your neighbors will know what bitcoin is. In one year all of your neighbors will be using bitcoin. In five years none of your neighbors will be using fiat.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for BTC.  You may not understand the rural area where I live and love.  It took nine years for our state to legalize liquor by the drink after all of our adjacent states had it.  One may hope for progress.

Thanks for the offer to gamble.  I don't do much gambling.  I hope you are right in your estimated timetables.

/Frank

and wouldn't you have loved to have been the first and only supplier to offer liquor to your area, think of the potenial earnings you could make bringing an area something they could not get easily on their own.

now the same goes for VISA/Mastercard

would'nt you love to be the first payment processor to have introduced shops in your town to mastercard.....

now put those thoughts towards bitcoin...... 

RhoDelta

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 07:22:21 AM
Last edit: October 16, 2013, 07:36:52 AM by RhoDelta

There is always need of using fiat in some areas, so don't think anyone would disagree with that. I think the ultimate goal for many bitcoin users is to eliminate as much of that dependency as possible.
I've seen apartments for bitcoin in some places, and If you can knock off rent/housing that is a major success against the current corrupt financial system.

You'll never have true freedom from fiat currency without a bitcoin friendly government or country.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 07:50:03 AM

People will spend the inflative currency and save the deflative currency, fiat is for spending and bitcoin is for saving, their benefit don't overlap each other. Under a fiat money system, everyone are forced to borrow and spend (savings will lose value quickly), now there is an alternative

OldGeek (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 07:00:45 PM

People will spend the inflative currency and save the deflative currency, fiat is for spending and bitcoin is for saving, their benefit don't overlap each other. Under a fiat money system, everyone are forced to borrow and spend (savings will lose value quickly), now there is an alternative

I like that explanation.

+1

/Frank

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: