Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:25:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does your favourite pool endorse illegal botnet traffic ?  (Read 1990 times)
gusti (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 05:53:05 PM

In this thread, there is a not very clear discussion about pools and botnets traffic.
I would like to hear the different pool policies for such illegal activity, and what are they doing about that.
So I can divert my legit traffic to the pools not endorsing botnets.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jine

Activity: 403
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 01:18:09 AM

AFAIK no pools endorse botnets.

We're not banning anyone without proof that it's actually a botnet tho.
I think other pools are doing the same (deepbit does warn with a huge text if account is doing suspicions activity etc), btc guild bans them as soon as detected(?).

Previous founder of Bit LC Inc. | I've always loved the idea of bitcoin.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 03:34:37 AM

I think other pools are doing the same (deepbit does warn with a huge text if account is doing suspicions activity etc), btc guild bans them as soon as detected(?).

+1

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
SteveFL

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 05:28:26 AM

I wouldn't care if they did or didn't.  A share submitted is a share, regardless of where it came from.  I don't see why pool operators should be responsible for other people who don't secure their machines properly.

What are we going to do next, ask pool operators to reject shares because I bought my hardware with income I didn't pay taxes on? 
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 05:47:49 AM

I wouldn't care if they did or didn't.  A share submitted is a share, regardless of where it came from.  I don't see why pool operators should be responsible for other people who don't secure their machines properly.

What are we going to do next, ask pool operators to reject shares because I bought my hardware with income I didn't pay taxes on? 

There's nothing wrong with that. Running a botnet, however, is quite wrong.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
gusti (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 05:49:28 AM

It's ok if you don´t care.
And if you ever run a pool, just let me know it clearly so I will not send a single share.
Pool operators need to choose it's audience, being that botnets or legit miners.

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
Xephan

Activity: 42

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 06:19:09 AM

BTC Guild doesn't ban them outright, if I didn't misread the post, their account get blacklisted on the normal server IPs, and there will be a display in their account profile telling them to use an IP reserved for high count but low work return rate miners, i.e. CPU mining botnets.
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 12:07:03 PM

BTC Guild doesn't ban them outright, if I didn't misread the post, their account get blacklisted on the normal server IPs, and there will be a display in their account profile telling them to use an IP reserved for high count but low work return rate miners, i.e. CPU mining botnets.

I ban botnets when I have enough information about the size of the botnet and a good idea that I've obtained the complete list of their IPs.  That reserved server IP is for large scale CPU miners.  In the case of botnets, they get sent to that server as well, then filtered out once I have a solid list of all the IPs that are infected.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
gentakin

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 12:27:35 PM

Eligius doesn't care to fight them. Although Luke isn't too happy about them, it seems.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=23768.msg375335#msg375335

1HNjbHnpu7S3UUNMF6J9yWTD597LgtUCxb
Xephan

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 01:52:30 PM

Eligius doesn't care to fight them. Although Luke isn't too happy about them, it seems.

It can be quite pointless fighting them after all. If they get pissed, instead of flooding the server with slow but legit workload, they can just set the zombies to really DDoS the server. Better to work out a compromise, everybody "win".
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 03:35:44 PM

It can be quite pointless fighting them after all. If they get pissed, instead of flooding the server with slow but legit workload, they can just set the zombies to really DDoS the server. Better to work out a compromise, everybody "win".

DDoS'ing the server just because they 'get pissed' means they are juveniles and unprofessional miners. Which in turn means they will eventually run out of proxies and keep getting blacklisted & wont be able to mine anymore.

There is no financial incentive in bringing down a pool for 'revenge', only personal petty motives

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Jine

Activity: 403
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 03:42:51 PM

It's still very effective.

Proxys and blacklists? For a large-scale DDoS attack? Really? Do you think it's that easy? Smiley
We're nullrouting the subnets in BGP on larger DDoS-attacks, but afaik - we're the only pool capable of doing so.

Just a simple iptables rule and/or some kind of layer 4/7 firewall won't do shit.

Previous founder of Bit LC Inc. | I've always loved the idea of bitcoin.
Xephan

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 05:28:08 PM

DDoS'ing the server just because they 'get pissed' means they are juveniles and unprofessional miners. Which in turn means they will eventually run out of proxies and keep getting blacklisted & wont be able to mine anymore.

There is no financial incentive in bringing down a pool for 'revenge', only personal petty motives

A professional botnet operator in for sustainable gains isn't the worry Cheesy
It's always the script kiddie amateurs who maybe infects his entire school while doing duty as a lab assistant or something that are worrying because they will likely lash out instead of doing the smarter thing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: