Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:42:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cointerra still processing refunds  (Read 3284 times)
senseless (OP)

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:47:20 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2013, 07:18:31 PM by senseless

Peter from cointerra got in contact with me and got my refund processed and sent out to me. Looks like they're still processing refunds, I just got the short end of the stick when it came to support reps.

John Graham (Cointerra)
Hi xxxxx,

We are currently not accepting refunds for pre-orders as that money is used for the development of the processors. Let us know if you have any questions.

All the best,

John at CoinTerra Support

I guess they didn't learn from BFL's ordeal. Their stated business address is in Texas, anyone have any idea where their business is registered so I can file a complaint with the attorney general of that state? It's probably nevada, delaware or something along those lines. Buyer beware, all of their talk about having investor money to cover tape out and product creation must have been pure BS. I guess it really just depends on what the definition of the word "investor" is. If by "investor" they mean "customer".

Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
semaster

Activity: 395
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:52:36 PM

who doubted it?

chrono030

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:53:36 PM

I'd be surprised if this company delivers a product at all.  They seem to be a lot more of a long shot compared to hashfast.
Threader

Activity: 406

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 09:00:33 PM

No CC no candy
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 09:33:08 PM

I'd be surprised if this company delivers a product at all.  They seem to be a lot more of a long shot compared to hashfast.

That's quite an understatement.

HashFast paid their NRE and taped-out to TSMC well over a month ago.  Now the chips are almost done.  They definitely exist and definitely will be delivered to customers.

Cointerra missed their tape-out deadline over a week ago.  We still don't know if their entire NRE has been paid, or just a deposit.  There is no way to know how many (if any) wafers they will be able to order.  No product exists, except on paper.

Cointerra needs to scrape together every nickel and dime it can find under the sofa cushions and scam from the public to finish paying off their NRE and hopefully order enough wafers to fill their customer's investor's pre-orders.

By the time Cointerra gets its act together and the chip is shipping, difficulty will be too high for their product to ever ROI.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1754

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 09:36:44 PM

Didn't people agree to this in the T&C's when they agreed to be investomers (i.e checked out)?
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 09:39:40 PM

Didn't people agree to this in the T&C's when they agreed to be investomers (i.e checked out)?
T&C is not greater than the law, and Im pretty sure Texas courts will rip them a new one if they arent.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 11:57:23 PM

ConTerra plans to own 33% of the bitcoin network by Dec 2014 for total domination

that is exactly the kind of corp monkey fantasy tagline that is targeted to grab some fat middle manager's greedy dreams

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
cointerra

Activity: 113

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 12:33:24 AM

John Graham (Cointerra)
Hi xxxxx,

We are currently not accepting refunds for pre-orders as that money is used for the development of the processors. Let us know if you have any questions.

All the best,

http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?docId=1376-MSVMGM6KLVR501-605F7DK02SRMJ007CJB8334G6N
CoinTerra, based in Austin, Texas, raised $1.5 million in funding from angel investors in August.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7246/the-rush-to-bitcoin-asics-ravi-iyengar-launches-cointerra
CoinTerra has raised $1.5 million from investors to fund development costs and an initial production run.

I guess they didn't learn from BFL's ordeal. Their stated business address is in Texas, anyone have any idea where their business is registered so I can file a complaint with the attorney general of that state? It's probably nevada, delaware or something along those lines. Buyer beware, all of their talk about having investor money to cover tape out and product creation must have been pure BS. I guess it really just depends on what the definition of the word "investor" is. If by "investor" they mean "customer".

Dear senseless: On behalf of CoinTerra I would like to apologize for the misunderstanding and immediately correct this statement. This answer was supplied by a customer service intern that was not fully briefed on our refund and warranty policies. Will will be contacting you immediately to resolve the issue.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

- The CoinTerra Team

www.cointerra.com - Professional grade Bitcoin mining equipment.
If you have any questions for us, we're happy to help at info (at) cointerra (dot) com
senseless (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:41:11 AM

John Graham (Cointerra)
Hi xxxxx,

All the best,

http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?docId=1376-MSVMGM6KLVR501-605F7DK02SRMJ007CJB8334G6N
CoinTerra, based in Austin, Texas, raised $1.5 million in funding from angel investors in August.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7246/the-rush-to-bitcoin-asics-ravi-iyengar-launches-cointerra
CoinTerra has raised $1.5 million from investors to fund development costs and an initial production run.

Dear senseless: On behalf of CoinTerra I would like to apologize for the misunderstanding and immediately correct this statement. This answer was supplied by a customer service intern that was not fully briefed on our refund and warranty policies. Will will be contacting you immediately to resolve the issue.

- The CoinTerra Team

Thank you for that. I was quite shocked at the response I got. I could expect "no refunds" from a chinese company or something along those lines but not a US registered company. I look forward to hearing from you. I wouldn't have requested a refund but need the coins to cover an unforeseen loss, unfortunately.

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 12:41:52 AM

- The CoinTerra Team

tldr: We are fucking broke, but we're attempting to pretend that we're liquid and are able to refund customers should they wish to. The intern wasn't briefed on maintaining a false pretence and hence wrongly told the truth.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 12:45:50 AM

- The CoinTerra Team

tldr: We are fucking broke, but we're attempting to pretend that we're liquid and are able to refund customers should they wish to. The intern wasn't briefed on maintaining a false pretence and hence wrongly told the truth.

Exactly ^this^.

The old 'blame the stupid intern/customer support rep/new guy' thing is as old as the hills.

"Misunderstanding?"  Oh please.  Cointerra tried to get away with it, but got called out and failed.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 12:48:13 AM

- The CoinTerra Team

PS: What's Phinn's favorite Kool Aid flavor again?
senseless (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:51:14 AM

PS: What's Phinn's favorite Kool Aid flavor again?

Cherry?

BTCscraper

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:05:52 PM

- The CoinTerra Team

Exactly ^this^.

The old 'blame the stupid intern/customer support rep/new guy' thing is as old as the hills.

"Misunderstanding?"  Oh please.  Cointerra tried to get away with it, but got called out and failed.

For those who have been burned by BFL (and maybe Avalon) before, it's hard to order another miner without a published refund policy.  And even with a published refund policy, it's still uncertain as in the case of KnC refusing refunds for orders allegedly already in production, in spite of the published policy apparently having a different trigger point.

IMO, there is no reason for manufacturers to refuse cancellations because they can always mine with unordered finished products.  Having a different mindset from this shows that the manufacturer knows his product is trash.

Butterfly Labs has a different interpretation of the FTC Mail Order Rule.  You do not have a refund option with the BFL Monarch no matter how late they ship.
"... In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." -- Albert Einstein
"Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more you sweat, the luckier you get." -- Ray Kroc
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 02:29:57 PM

- The CoinTerra Team

Exactly ^this^.

IMO, there is no reason for manufacturers to refuse cancellations because they can always mine with unordered finished products.  Having a different mindset from this shows that the manufacturer knows his product is trash.

That goes back to the basic premise that the manufacturers know that their selling price is either at, slightly below or slightly above lifetime mining earnings for the device. Which is just common sense.

tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 04:48:55 PM

I'll never pre-order anything Bitcoin mining related. BFL should have taught that to the community, but I guess it doesn't. They should be able to develop with their angel investor's money so why should customers pay for the development in advance of getting their product?
Paladin69

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 08:57:25 PM

For some reason I'm reminded of BFL creating tracking numbers on people who were attempting chargebacks, then playing stupid and saying it was an "accident".  Gimme a break.
mitty

Activity: 359

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 01:01:13 AM

OP, about how long did it take for you to get your refund?

I requested a refund one week ago, got a response that my message was being forwarded to Peter (a supervisor) the same day, and haven't heard anything since.  Replied to the ticket 3 days ago asking if they had any news regarding my refund request and still haven't received a response.
fxkevin

Activity: 75

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 01:04:13 AM

Was the refund in fiat or BTC?

I assume I already know the answer...but for the sake of asking....I asked

Cheers...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: