Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:04:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Today was an historical day for Bitcoin  (Read 3212 times)
annette786 (OP)

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:06:21 AM

Today, BTC acted like a real reserve currency. 

Over the past few days, BTC was clearly ignited by concerns over the dollar.  As soon as word of a debt deal was announce, we tanked. Whether or not a hyper inflated dollar would have had any real economic effect on BTC is irrelevant. The perception was there... and enough people familiar with bitcoin actuated a price movement.  I was one of them.

Most interesting, is that the media hasn't picked it up yet.  I've seen them connect dots that simply weren't there (Cypriot and Spanish financial crises), but this was real.  It looks like we get to do it all over again in a few months, so maybe the media won't miss it next time.

BTC is officially a safe haven.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:10:24 AM

Yes, we "tanked" over news that everyone already new.  That obviously the US wouldn't be defaulting.  It would be political suicide for all parties involved, particularly the GOP.

Roll Eyes
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:14:31 AM

I like how now when we "tank" it means we went back to the price we reached just yesterday.
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:16:06 AM

I like how now when we "tank" it means we went back to the price we reached just yesterday.
This mimics attitude from the bubble so perfectly. Like 1 week after people started saying that, collapse.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:20:15 AM

more like the kind of movement you might expect from a commodity huh? Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:21:35 AM

This mimics attitude from the bubble so perfectly. Like 1 week after people started saying that, collapse.

Superstition is not useful for pricing bitcoin.
pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:38:33 AM

Today, BTC acted like a real reserve currency.  

Over the past few days, BTC was clearly ignited by concerns over the dollar.

I don't thing that the dollar had nothing to do with the price movement. Is there anyone that really thought that the dollar might crash or something?
It was the chinese that made the price explode...

TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:53:19 AM

When I took my position I sure didn't think it was because an apocalypse was about to occur. I thought this bull market was about bitcoin adoption. If the U.S. collapsed, I'd have a lot more to worry about than bitcoin or money - why on Earth would I want that?
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 01:39:15 AM

When I took my position I sure didn't think it was because an apocalypse was about to occur. I thought this bull market was about bitcoin adoption. If the U.S. collapsed, I'd have a lot more to worry about than bitcoin or money - why on Earth would I want that?

Yes.  I am perfectly content with a $10 drop in price and having congress approve a deal.  I have a feeling it may have been pretty catastrophic for the US otherwise.  It will probably still cause some lingering pains for a while as it is.  Hopefully the distrust will feed the fire needed to get more Bitcoin adopters.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
johnmatrix

Activity: 371

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 02:01:22 AM

Its better than the us is more safe now than if there had be a default.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3199

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 02:45:25 AM

There is going to be a default. All they are doing today is ensuring the we have to suffer through another 3 more months of bad economy and bad politics first.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 02:55:49 AM

There is going to be a default. All they are doing today is ensuring the we have to suffer through another 3 more months of bad economy and bad politics first.
3 months to default? I'm really not sure about that. I used to underestimate the government's ability to sustain this monstrosity... not so much anymore. It'll be a while. It's okay -- a US default down the road gives us all more time to pick up some more coins on the way.   Smiley
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 03:29:39 AM

3 months to default? I'm really not sure about that. I used to underestimate the government's ability to sustain this monstrosity... not so much anymore. It'll be a while. It's okay -- a US default down the road gives us all more time to pick up some more coins on the way.   Smiley

The US has already defaulted. Germany asked its gold back last year and the US refused to give it back before 2030 or something.
OleOle

Activity: 532

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 03:38:57 AM

Muahahahaha!  Grin

theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 05:01:00 AM

The US has already defaulted. Germany asked its gold back last year and the US refused to give it back before 2030 or something.

What? where are you getting this from? How do we owe Germany gold?

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 05:14:46 AM

Many countries store their gold in NY. Germany requested a large portion to be moved back last year. The US refused and negotiated with the Germans and offered them money if they could hold it until 2030 (which they were going to do anyway). They even refused the Germans inspection rights of their own gold (they could only check one of the many vaults).

Many people believe the gold is not there.
OleOle

Activity: 532

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 05:19:28 AM

Many countries store their gold in NY. Germany requested a large portion to be moved back last year. The US refused and negotiated with the Germans and offered them money if they could hold it until 2030 (which they were going to do anyway). They even refused the Germans inspection rights of their own gold (they could only check one of the many vaults).

Many people believe the gold is not there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/17/business/global/german-central-bank-to-repatriate-gold-reserves.html?_r=0

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertlenzner/2013/01/19/the-germans-want-their-gold-reserves-back-in-germany/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/01/16/why-germany-wants-its-674-tons-of-gold-back/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/gold/9804444/Bundesbank-to-pull-gold-from-New-York-and-Paris-in-watershed-moment.html

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-politicians-demand-to-see-gold-in-us-federal-reserve-a-864068.html

Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 05:43:00 AM

And then immediately afterwards, the US found it necessary to send military aid to France in Mali:

U.S. steps up involvement in Mali

Coincidentally, Mali produces about 80-100 tons of gold per year.
phlogistonq

Activity: 159

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 09:47:45 AM

Coincidentally, the Germans also asked the Banque de France, which also holds significants amounts of German gold (or does it), and they similarlu refused and stalled. Shortly after, the French found it necessary to get involved in the minor conflict in Mali for no clear reason.

Mali currently produces the largest annual amount of gold in the the world.
Kaiji

Activity: 140

Hoist the Colours

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 01:15:10 PM

Coincidentally, the Germans also asked the Banque de France, which also holds significants amounts of German gold (or does it), and they similarlu refused and stalled. Shortly after, the French found it necessary to get involved in the minor conflict in Mali for no clear reason.

Mali currently produces the largest annual amount of gold in the the world.

Then why are they so poor?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: