Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:00:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The US Govt "seizing" their way to control of BTC  (Read 1645 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 04:19:40 AM

It makes me extremely uncomfortable that they have potential access to $85 million worth of bitcoins thanks to the dude at silk Road. Not to mention the Ponzi scheme guy and all the bitcoin they confiscated from him. Why don't they just stockpile it now, and when it's worth $10,000 per coin, the US government will still be the wealthiest nation in the world.

I'm really annoyed that at this point, the US Government is probably the single biggest holder of bitcoins in the world. Because they feel it's their right to steal all the money involved in every illegal operation. It's not like they're seizing it so they can return it to its rightful owners. They just take it and stuff it in their fucking pockets. Real fucking ethical. Isn't the government holding majority of bitcoins the exact opposite of what we want to happen?

Let's hope they're stupid enough to liquidate it...

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 05:46:52 AM

You aren't keep up! The Chinese Government is the largest holder of Bitcoins.  Cool

OK, wild speculation.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
tripppn

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 05:57:51 AM

If they liquidated it would that mean the government would have to recognize bitcoin as an asset/currency?

“You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer.”
― Frank Zappa
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 06:03:26 AM

How much does Satoshi have?  Smiley

Yeah, it's a bit troubling. Do we know that they have access to DPR's wallets, though, and not just the user/escrow wallets? Are we sure that they actually have access to 600k bitcoins (or whatever the number is), or is that wild speculation as well?
Johnny Bitcoinseed

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Johnny Bitcoinseed

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 08:50:40 AM

If .gov does have those coins, with their record they will just loose them.  So this is good news for everyone else.

Sincerely I am, Johnny BitcoinSeed .com
vendetahome

Activity: 658

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 08:53:51 AM

If .gov does have those coins, with their record they will just loose them.  So this is good news for everyone else.

Yup, these would be spend in a blink of a eye, you would not even recognise this small amount helped somewhere
trumbadera

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 08:59:51 AM

It makes me extremely uncomfortable that they have potential access to $85 million worth of bitcoins thanks to the dude at silk Road.

Im not sure they actually have the private keys to control the coins.
If they do, these coins shoud be exchanged to USD after their lawsuit succeed  Smiley
manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 09:46:37 AM
Last edit: October 17, 2013, 02:04:04 PM by manfred

The strategy they employ is simple, keep seizing it, any amount at every bust. Since there is a limited number of them its a mathematical certainty that at some time they will be the largest holder. Also this, gov. in incognito right from the word go.
As for the keys, if you have the choice doing half the time and give up the key or full time, most would choose the first. Handing over the wallet would be considered part of the rehabilitation process. What good is x amount of coins with no access to it and face being buried alive in a concrete room.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 06:07:45 PM

Maybe they'll hold them and manipulate the market.  Smiley

More likely, I think, they will just auction off the coins they have access to -- and some lucky people will get an excellent entry price as a result. Who knows how many coins they have access to, though?
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 03:58:27 AM

They initially seized 26,000 bitcoins from Silk Road:  $4.16 Million in Bitcoins

They also have Silk Road guys wallet but haven't accessed it yet:  $90 Million in Bitcoins

They seized 700,000 bitcoins from the Ponzi Scheme guy:  $112 Million in Bitcoins

So conservatively, the US Government has stolen and is holding nearly $207 Million in Bitcoins right now.

At $160 per coin they're holding about 1.3 Million BTC.

All it takes is one person with an IQ over twelve to tell them to "Hold on to it because it'll probably go up in value" .... They're not dumb.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
Britainacoin

Activity: 256
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 04:07:49 AM

How did they rename their address "Silk Road Seized Coins" in the blockchain?
p2pbucks

Activity: 642

Evolution is the only way to survive

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 04:12:11 AM

They initially seized 26,000 bitcoins from Silk Road:  $4.16 Million in Bitcoins

They also have Silk Road guys wallet but haven't accessed it yet:  $90 Million in Bitcoins

They seized 700,000 bitcoins from the Ponzi Scheme guy:  $112 Million in Bitcoins

So conservatively, the US Government has stolen and is holding nearly $207 Million in Bitcoins right now.

At $160 per coin they're holding about 1.3 Million BTC.

All it takes is one person with an IQ over twelve to tell them to "Hold on to it because it'll probably go up in value" .... They're not dumb.
Do they control privatekey ? I doubt  Huh
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 05:08:24 PM

Citation? Thanks.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 05:38:51 PM

Citation? Thanks.
They probably didn't seize many, if any at all, he collected about 70k and paid out about 50k, he also lost a lot day-trading
http://rt.com/usa/bitcoin-sec-shavers-texas-231/
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 05:43:20 PM

Let's hope they're stupid enough to liquidate it...

Lets hope people are not stupid enough to setup illegal websites or use their Bitcoins to purchase illegal goods.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 05:55:50 PM

I'm really annoyed that at this point, the US Government is probably the single biggest holder of bitcoins in the world. Because they feel it's their right to steal all the money involved in every illegal operation.

LOL  Cheesy

Perhaps it would be wise to avoid setting up any 'illegal operations' then.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 06:32:18 PM

Citation? Thanks.
They probably didn't seize many, if any at all, he collected about 70k and paid out about 50k, he also lost a lot day-trading
http://rt.com/usa/bitcoin-sec-shavers-texas-231/

That's what I thought. If they seized 700K from Shavers, that would make me a happy man. As a disillusioned 'investor' in his scam, if there was a significant seizure, I would expect an eventual return of some proportion of my losses.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2013, 07:07:39 PM

The worst thing they could do is hold them in uncertainty...oh, wait, that's the plan.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, it is hard to estimate supply when inaccessible bitcoins look identical to accessible ones. For example, if an address has had 1M bitcoins in it without a transaction spent in 3 years....is the private key lost or just part of a savings plan?

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: