Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:54:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just heard a POP!  (Read 1724 times)
bitjet (OP)

Activity: 696
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 05:16:53 AM

This rig has been mining with (2) 5850's and (2) 5870s for two months on an el cheapo foxcon board. No problems getting a stabe 1.5ghps with it. Well until tonight. I moved the machine downstairs and used a different PSU. Things were not stable from the get go then after I had it all running for about 30 min I heard a loud POP. Wont power on at all now. Sad Guess I wil grab the other PSU tomorrow.

My other rig wont stay clocked @ 890 anymore and only wants to clock at 850 or so. grrr. Temps are mid 70's c. That is 2x5970.

Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wallet.dat

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 07:33:06 AM

Did you let the smoke escape?

"MOOOOOOOM! THE MEATLOAF!!! F**K!"
haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 07:51:37 AM

hmm that sucks. i alost just killed a brand new rosewill PSU within just 5 minutes with only a single 5830 plugged in. which PSU was it that died on you?

Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 11:00:46 AM

My other rig wont stay clocked @ 890 anymore and only wants to clock at 850 or so. grrr. Temps are mid 70's c. That is 2x5970.

Electromigration will degrade & kill chips that are run at too high voltages and frequencies for extended periods of time. Happens to CPUs as well. Temperature is not necessarily relevant (but can accelerate the EM process)

You were running an approx. 20% OC on the 5970 cores, on the verge of long term stability (I wouldn't, because it's a quite expensive card)

Note that you would earn much more in the long term by running GPUs at moderate OC's (5-10%) than running them at 20-40% OC and killing the chips in a few months, having to buy new cards

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 02:04:37 PM

Never use a cheap PSU, specially on highly expensive equipment, not all expensive PSU's are good. Remember, the PSU is the heart of your equipment, using a cheaply made PSU has very high risk in ruining you rig.

Here is a great place to go over PSU reviews. Here are recommended power supplies.
bitjet (OP)

Activity: 696
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 02:56:57 PM

I had two psu's running the 4 card system. The main was a 650w Diablotek and the slave was one of those 450w that fits into a drivebay, dont know the brand. That one still works.

Apparently the 5970's still go to 890mhz no problem. I just needed a reboot. But I can not clock the mem down to 300. @ 300 my hash rate is like 350 per core @ 400 its 387 ish.

haploid23
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2011, 07:28:42 PM

I had two psu's running the 4 card system. The main was a 650w Diablotek and the slave was one of those 450w that fits into a drivebay, dont know the brand. That one still works.

lol diablotek was the was PSU brand that messed up jonnyguru's PSU power source unit. i would stay away from this brand

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=187

cicada

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 07:43:44 PM

lol diablotek was the was PSU brand that messed up jonnyguru's PSU power source unit. i would stay away from this brand

+1

I got a little MicroATX Diablotek PSU based on good reviews on newegg - it works well for the low-power system it's on, except for the little annoyances like the fact that the power plug socket on the back decided to just pop out when I unplugged it one day.

Doesn't give me much confidence in their build quality when they can't even secure a major connector.

Team Epic!

All your bitcoin are belong to 19mScWkZxACv215AN1wosNNQ54pCQi3iB7
Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 12:05:58 AM

Apparently the 5970's still go to 890mhz no problem.
How on earth are you running 5970's at 890mhz stable?

Can you specify all of your voltage and clock settings?

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 06:59:56 PM

My 700w Thermaltake "Tough Power" took a dump this morning.  Bought it used 6 weeks ago so im not sure that I can get warranty work on it even if they come w\ 5 year warranty out of box.

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 07:37:34 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2011, 08:01:45 PM by Jack of Diamonds

I got a little MicroATX Diablotek PSU based on good reviews on newegg - it works well for the low-power system it's on, except for the little annoyances like the fact that the power plug socket on the back decided to just pop out when I unplugged it one day.

lmao..

Are these companies building PSU's from recycled electric waste materials and quick-glue?
No wonder even their 600-1000W psus cost only 20-30 bucks on Newegg, read the reviews

http://bit.ly/qi0YHq

Are those even legal to sell, stay away...

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
cicada

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2011, 07:55:25 PM

I think if they'd bothered to use glue it'd still be intact Wink

Team Epic!

All your bitcoin are belong to 19mScWkZxACv215AN1wosNNQ54pCQi3iB7
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: