Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:50:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Over-replied topics  (Read 382 times)
jerick06 (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 12:50:28 PM

I see some over-replied topics (600-1000+ replies) yet this replies from 10-upward pages are unnoticed/ignored and some are redundant answers.

I think its better to limit the replies to avoid these topics to keep appearing in the latest posts and so that users will make a new topic or reply on the unreplied topics.

SCAVO.FARM (https://scavo.farm) SELF-SUSTAINING CRYPTO MINING FARM  BY USING RENEWABLE
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18566

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 12:57:40 PM

You would then run in to "Should I buy bitcoin (Continued)" or "Part 2/3/4/5/etc" threads.

I agree that almost all the replies to topics like those are worthless, but limiting replies will result in duplicate threads, and conversely more spam.
shinchan123

Activity: 504
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 01:17:32 PM

I see some over-replied topics (600-1000+ replies) yet this replies from 10-upward pages are unnoticed/ignored and some are redundant answers.

I think its better to limit the replies to avoid these topics to keep appearing in the latest posts and so that users will make a new topic or reply on the unreplied topics.

There are even threads that have more than thousands of replies and if you will scan through it most are redundant and generic replies. However, it seems that there's nothing to be done because there are even other threads that are almost the same as other thread but just rephrased.
cry4crypto

Activity: 140
Merit: 35

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 01:53:15 PM

Browse the forum and you will find threads with less than 10 replies where over half of them will be redundant. I don't see anything wrong with megathreads.
Thirio

Activity: 350
Merit: 47

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 01:56:02 PM

It's really hard to control these spammers, but limiting replies would still have consequences. For example, we cannot guarantee that we could get an outstanding answer within the limited replies. Another instance that this may be a bad idea is when an interesting topic arise, a lot of non-spammer member may show interest by continuously interacting with other members.
19faraon88

Activity: 252
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 02:15:33 PM

I agree. We don't need to have a four line paragraph in every reply and yet the thought you want to say is only one. We should answer the topic with brief and complete thought. Maybe they doing that for them to have a merit point.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2018, 02:37:05 PM

I agree. We don't need to have a four line paragraph in every reply and yet the thought you want to say is only one. We should answer the topic with brief and complete thought. Maybe they doing that for them to have a merit point.

Four lines? - some of these replies stretch over 2 or 3 pages. I've started to put frequently verbose posters on ignore, but I'm getting to the stage where half of the replies in many threads are on ignore. Smiley

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
yahoo62278
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 4437

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 02:41:59 PM

Something I think that would be great is if a thread autolocked after xx amount of days or hours with no reply in them. So many threads are opened by newbie accounts who disappear or never come back to lock the thread once they have been answered.

This also would stop a thread from turning into a spam topic unless reopened by the OP

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
Cepot

Activity: 243
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 04:27:42 PM

In my opinion this is not a problem, many topics answer, it means there are still many answers that are not right and more to be discussed and answered. on topic when finished will be locked by moderator, and no answer anymore
newinbtc
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 04:45:12 PM

Something I think that would be great is if a thread autolocked after xx amount of days or hours with no reply in them. So many threads are opened by newbie accounts who disappear or never come back to lock the thread once they have been answered.

This also would stop a thread from turning into a spam topic unless reopened by the OP

I dont think so if it applies it will Disadvantage for other users also..if topic get locked , He/she cannot topic unlocked again - some users forgot and people message them to start posting good material again.. Knowledge threads

Topic created by newbies can be locked or Limited reply to that topic (This rules not applied  for thread is related to service or any project.)

----
Some of topic on bitcoin Discussion and many other sections User ask silly question such as bitcoin increased to $$ , Bitcoin value Rose ,
Instead user must reply to specific topic in this case to discuss on this matter... But still people are replying to that topic . they know no one here to read that topic.
Baoo

Activity: 854
Merit: 115

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 06:00:56 PM
Last edit: March 15, 2018, 06:14:47 PM by Baoo

You are right , and  I see that many newbie's are making threads and after that they disappear, also always those topics becomes megathreads. And I think the only reason for those bad behaviours is to facilitate the spread of spammers in the whole forum and that's the problem.

As well, I suggest that newbies will cannot make any  topics in some sections ( like, Bitcoin Discussion, Trading, Gambling, Altcoin discussion, Economics..) and this may be a temporary solution.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2018, 06:13:12 PM

Browse the forum and you will find threads with less than 10 replies where over half of them will be redundant. I don't see anything wrong with megathreads.
I disagree. Having threads where half of the replies are redundant is far better than having a spam megathread where every single one of the replies past (arbitrary number) page 5 are completely unsubstantial.

When you are restating what has already been said or adding vague and generalized remarks to the "discussion" [lack thereof] then you certainly are not contributing to anything. Furthermore, responding to an unsubstantial post means that you are contributing to an unsubstantial discussion which is equivalent to you making an unsubstantial post.
Sure, some threads have redundant replies. That's inevitable but they will be reported & deleted. For spam megathreads, the entire thread will be deleted (eventually). Don't try to create some false equivalence to justify megathreads.

cry4crypto

Activity: 140
Merit: 35

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 06:23:36 PM

I totally get your point, and I am not trying to justify spam megathreads by any means. The problem is spam, regardless whether it's in low quality threads with few replies or megathreads.

I'm 100% with you on "contributing" to any discussion with unsubstantial posts that don't bring any value, but I don't see how megathreads are to blame. Introducing any post limit in any thread would just prompt the thread starter to open another one once a post limit is reached, I believe "whoever said two heads are better than one never met a hydra" applies here. Also, there are plenty of valid megathreads (i.e. in the Trading section).

I'm all for fighthing spam and weeding out low quality content from this forum, and I hope the introduction of merit will help us achieve just that.

Delete the shit out of low quality posts & threads and permban the perpetrators, you have my axe.
Fazlurkhan.kz

Activity: 266
Merit: 114

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 08:00:26 PM

There should be a list or a new thread created that has one specific answer to all those over-flooded topics and the questions asked should be kind of restricted to be asked in the forum. What this will do is create more topics from which one can actually gain some knowledge rather than reading shitposts. There should also be a limit on the number of replies allowed which the OP of the topic can choose while starting the topic and on receiving the perfect or satisfactory answer maybe the OP should reward a sMerit to it.
NavI_027

Activity: 1232
Merit: 186

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 11:14:30 PM

I agree. We don't need to have a four line paragraph in every reply and yet the thought you want to say is only one. We should answer the topic with brief and complete thought.
Well, that still depends on how a particular person wants to construct his idea. Having a four line paragraph or even more than that doesn't mean he is a verbose, maybe he just want to convey his idea more specific for the readers to easily understand. For me, the length of a post is not a big deal because the thing that matters the most is how will you make the readers understand your thought/idea.
Maybe they doing that for them to have a merit point.
You are right! Because a long paragraph tends to become informative (making sure it is really informative and not just full of flowery words), therefore, they'll have a chance of earning merit by doing this and I don't see any problem regarding that.
boy130

Activity: 616
Merit: 263

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 11:22:36 PM

Megathreads are a common occurrence on pretty much every forum, they are one of the major ways that forums achieve a higher rank on Google searches, and often serve as hubs for community discussion. Yes, it is true that there is some redundancy (or often a lot of redundant answer), but limiting discussion on these will be less productive than you might think, as it would reduce the influx of new users, and hence new ideas and opinions, whilst limiting the number of people that will view the thread content.
Mame

Activity: 168
Merit: 14

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 02:06:05 AM

You are the one should ignore those thread, but its hard to please some member not to reply and bump those thread because many spammer member in this forum that is why the reply are redundant or looks like plagiarism because they only change minimal words to make their reply looks like new.

│▌▌│▌▌▌   ❏ IBIN ❏  │▌▌│▌▌▌   ❏ IBIN ❏    │▌▌│▌▌▌ 
International Blockshare Identification Number
██   Telegram   ██████████   IBIN   █████████   Medium   ██
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1219

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 04:15:16 AM
Last edit: March 16, 2018, 04:38:04 AM by Mpamaegbu

Except where it is a signature campaign or an ANN thread, 600-1000 (which is 30-50 pages) is really over bloated seeking an answer(s). A veritable answer to any question will - I am sure of this, lie within the first 10 pages of course. The moderators lag in this aspect not locking such threads up. And no, there shouldn't be a sequence to a closed thread. People should learn to search the forum for already presented topics rather than opening a fresh one.

In my opinion this is not a problem, many topics answer, it means there are still many answers that are not right and more to be discussed and answered. on topic when finished will be locked by moderator, and no answer anymore
You don't think it is a problem? Really? You don't believe that repetitive answers do not add meaning to a thread? That it only turns threads into redundancy? For me, this is what more that 200 replies does.

I've started to put frequently verbose posters on ignore,
If they are verbose and still make constructive posts, will you still ignore them? Will you put nullius on your ignore list? I bet you won't.  Grin

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
knightmairesaint

Activity: 490
Merit: 262

privacy preserving smart contracts and beyond

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 05:50:32 AM

It's really obvious that megathreads are full of posts having the same thoughts. It is mainly composed of  users who imitates what others said and do only small changes for them to avoid plagiarism accusations, and users who just express their ideas about a particular topic and never copied one's post (though seems redundant but really authentic). So now, If we implement a limit on posting replies, do you think threads will improve? Only a little bit because shitty posters and copy-paste users could still be able to make replies there. Instead of limiting the number of replies, why don't we focus on eradicating such users.

Besides, if the limit of a thread already reached, how about others who also want to share their thoughts about that topic? Definitely none. It only implicates that this system serves as a restriction for freedom of speech. What's the sense of being a forum if some of its members are hindered to participate?

d█████                      d███████  ,o██████
                   d█████[                    ,█████████ d████████
                   d█████[                   ,██████P'' d█████
                   d█████[                   ██████'   d█████
                   d█████[                  ,██████    d█████
  _▄▄▄████████████bd█████Y██████L     ,█████████████████████[,d▄██▄
 ▄████████████████bd█████ Y██████b   d██████████████████████fY██████
██████P"P██████"""'d█████  ` ██████.d█████ PY█████PPPPP█████[ `▀██▀
█████    `█████[   d█████   ` ███████████ ' ]█████    d█████
█████    ,█████[   d█████     Y█████████P   ]█████    d█████
██████ooo█████P    d█████      Y███████P    ]█████    d█████
 Y███████████P     d█████       d█████P     ]█████    d█████
  `"P█████P'       d█████       d█████P     ]█████    d█████
  _oo█████oo_      d█████       d█████P     ]█████    d█████
 d███████████
██████P"Y█████
█████     █████
''''     ,█████
ooooooooo█████
█████████████
█████████▀▀

▬▬▬   is a decentralized internet
   platform delivering anonymous
   asset
transfers and data 
   privacy for smart contracts.

in
OUR SOLUTION : : :

This enables developers to include sensitive data in their
smart-contracts, directly on-chain.

██████████ █▄ 
██████████ ███▄
██████████▄▄▄▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████

█████

█████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

JOIN GLYFF

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
[
criz2fer

Activity: 672
Merit: 127

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 08:09:14 AM

I think it will still depend on the topic. But how about the topics made by the admins? Example this topics - Forum ranks/positions/badges (What do those shiny coins under my name mean?) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178608.2820
I think its still our responsibility to report topics to be lock or deleted.

Opinions will be limited if this will be implemented. If you want to see the oldest post, you can filter it by clicking "Last Post" column to report old topics that are unreplied for a very long time.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: