Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:45:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and bittorrent don't work. Ports blocked?  (Read 3441 times)
Local (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 12:43:32 AM

I recently moved and I can't connect to peers with Bitcoin or bittorrent with my new internet. I am not using a router, I am plugging a cable directly in. I will be getting a router tomorrow hopefully, but I don't think that's the issue anyway. I haven't tried much of anything, all suggestions welcome.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mahkul

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 01:01:59 AM

I recently moved and I can't connect to peers with Bitcoin or bittorrent with my new internet. I am not using a router, I am plugging a cable directly in. I will be getting a router tomorrow hopefully, but I don't think that's the issue anyway. I haven't tried much of anything, all suggestions welcome.

It is more probable that it would work without the router than with it anyway as you could have had some firewall configured on it. I am assuming it was working with your previous provider and you didn't commit any changes to your OS/PC?

Do you configure your public IP yourself or do you get it from a DHCP server? Do you have a public IP at all? If so, try using some on-line port scanner on your address and see whether your port 8333 is listening for connections or if it is not closed at least. We can go further from there.
Mahkul

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 01:07:59 AM

tli;cs - too little information; can't say :-)

I was going to say the same, but decided to start with the basics. Smiley
Hal
VIP

Activity: 314
Merit: 3797

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 01:23:04 AM

I recently moved [to a maximum security prison] and I can't connect to peers with Bitcoin or bittorrent with my new internet.

I recently moved [to a home for the insane] and I can't connect to peers with Bitcoin or bittorrent with my new internet.

I recently moved [to a college dorm that disallows P2P] and I can't connect to peers with Bitcoin or bittorrent with my new internet.

Context is important.

Hal Finney
Local (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 04:20:50 AM

I moved to a farmhouse in NH. I don't have much more info. The first port scanner that came up in google says none of my ports are responding  Huh
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 04:30:22 AM

Do you have windows firewall turned on? (It ruins everything)
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5138
Merit: 12565

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 04:31:18 AM

Possibly the "modem" supplied by your ISP also acts as a NAT device that requires its own port forwarding rules. Maybe your ISP blocks all incoming connections, or has you NATed with several other users. You should contact your ISP's support.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Local (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2011, 02:39:33 AM

I'm still learning more about the situation. Apparently there is no normal high speed internet here. We are getting something "beamed" from a neighbor on a hill who has some special arrangement. It appears that he does something to block torrents to keep bandwidth down. Is there a standard way of getting around this? Should I read about port forwarding? Anything else I should research?

I have a different problem now too. We're getting an ethernet cord run here from the other side of this house. I tried to hook up my wireless router with no luck. I talked to the other tenant and of course my cord is coming out of his router, that's why it didn't work. His router is wired only and I offered to switch it out for my wi-fi one. He absolutely does not want a wireless router in his house. He wouldn't tell me why even when I asked directly. We need to use up to three computers at a time in various places and have a young child in the house so even splitting to three cords is going to be a huge pain.

Is there a way to put a wireless router or repeater or something after his router?

I'm going to talk to the landlord in the morning, but I don't think anyone involved has any knowledge of this stuff. It's going to be a lot easier to get a good resolution if I know what is possible.
Mahkul

View Profile
February 04, 2011, 07:40:09 PM

Is there a way to put a wireless router or repeater or something after his router?

I don't see problem with connecting the cable from his router to your wireless router - I am assuming you just want to make it wireless for your own convenience? Just put in whatever settings you got from this guy onto your WAN interface and plug in his cable there. If he doesn't give you any settings just set the WAN interface of the router to DHCP client mode (receive settings automatically) - basically use whatever ip settings you use for your PC on the router's WAN interface. It's as simple as that.

Of course I am assuming that you know how to configure the LAN side of your wireless router.
Local (OP)

View Profile
February 06, 2011, 01:27:14 AM

You really need to find someone local who has a clue to help you. Based on your story you should forget about bittorent and be happy if you can get to some websites. Bitcoin most likely will still work.

Okay, I can do without torrent. Is there a simple way to get connected to bitcoin?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: