Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 04:02:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The "What Black Arrow does not want you to know" thread  (Read 18093 times)
greyhawk (OP)

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 07:13:52 PM

Re: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=294197.0

I'll just leave this here:

Quote from: Bitcoin Forum
A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by the starter of a self-moderated topic. There are no rules of self-moderation, so this deletion cannot be appealed. Do not continue posting in this topic if the topic-starter has requested that you leave.

You can create a new topic if you are unsatisfied with this one. If the topic-starter is scamming, post about it in Scam Accusations.

Oh God, how did this get here? I am not good with computers.

"Black Arrow Bitcoin Mining ASIC Prospero X1"

CompuLab Fit-PC2

Enjoy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3410

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 07:24:37 PM

That's some quality photoshopping BlackArrow did there. Good Job Grin

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 07:26:55 PM

Nice, I had many posts deleted from that thread, gave up!
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 07:27:30 PM

I am not seeing this render anywhere on their site...
http://www.blackarrowsoftware.com/store/prospero-x-1.html
cbhelp

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 07:29:02 PM

Wow, that actually is some good editing.

Maybe not try to scam, and get a job doing editing?
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 07:29:15 PM

It was there. Probably they've taken the image down for obvious reasons.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 07:29:58 PM

It was there. Probably they've taken the image down for obvious reasons.
Because it was a render? No where did they state that was the final product. Says that right on the order form.
regular

Activity: 297
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 07:39:31 PM

anyone who rips off another site's image is likely unethical already if not a scammer.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 07:44:15 PM

anyone who rips off another site's image is likely unethical already if not a scammer.

besides the fact that any mining machine that is not much bigger than a PC mouse is going to be 'too small' to be profitable with all the casing, lcd, etc.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 07:45:33 PM

Haven't you ever hired someone to do images or a website only to find later that they ripped off the images / the site ?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
greyhawk (OP)

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 07:55:07 PM

Haven't you ever hired someone to do images or a website only to find later that they ripped off the images / the site ?

-MarkM-

I'm sure that's what happened. Also has anyone heard of pirateat40 lately? I think he might have forgotten to pay out dividends for a while. I sure hope he's okay.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 08:09:06 PM

There's a huge difference between e.g. the generic fotos of computers that CoinTerra uses on their website compared to a full-fledged photoshopped image of what appears to be your final product, given the context.

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 08:31:22 PM

MOAR renders! Today i was considering Black Arrow, but this just made stop considering them for obvious reasons.

fpgaminer

Activity: 560
Merit: 517

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 08:45:14 PM

I love a witchhunt as much as the next guy, but blackarrow already responded to this issue, and removed the images...

Source

Picture of the X1 is an artist's impression. The original file was another Photoshop and not an actual still image. We have asked a graphic designer to help us with the images as we need to let our customers have an idea how the product will look like. This is how we intend the product to look like. As we are in production stage all we have now are artist's impression and soon rendered images with the proposal that was accepted and we go further with. However, also the rendered images will still be artist's impressions until we will have the machines in hand, out from the factory. Then and only then, we will be able to take still photos. We are afraid the process of creating a product follows this path.

Personally, I bought one of their units, just to see how it plays out.  After chastising them for emailing me my account password in plaintext, of course ... (they fixed that immediately after I brought it up, so props there).

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 09:14:41 PM

I love a witchhunt as much as the next guy, but blackarrow already responded to this issue, and removed the images...

Source

Picture of the X1 is an artist's impression. The original file was another Photoshop and not an actual still image. We have asked a graphic designer to help us with the images as we need to let our customers have an idea how the product will look like. This is how we intend the product to look like. As we are in production stage all we have now are artist's impression and soon rendered images with the proposal that was accepted and we go further with. However, also the rendered images will still be artist's impressions until we will have the machines in hand, out from the factory. Then and only then, we will be able to take still photos. We are afraid the process of creating a product follows this path.

Personally, I bought one of their units, just to see how it plays out.  After chastising them for emailing me my account password in plaintext, of course ... (they fixed that immediately after I brought it up, so props there).

Real engineers or even good managers must know already that design doesn't matter in bitcoin mining so asking someone to make some pretty renders of possible boxes tells me that you are focusing on the wrong stuff. Designers know shit about cooling and airflow and other stuff. They should be sourcing parts and workforce and other stuff not make useless renders and also saying that you can't have a still photo of a case that is supposed to be already present long before chips arrive makes me wonder how can they manage a proper assembly chain. Their chips might be legitimate, but everything else is way wrong.

fpgaminer

Activity: 560
Merit: 517

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 11:31:48 PM

so asking someone to make some pretty renders of possible boxes tells me that you are focusing on the wrong stuff.
You make a good and interesting point, though it's not related to the original topic of this thread.

Anyway, I agree, the amount of time/effort a company spends on marketing a pre-order product could potentially be used as an indicator of the company's technical capabilities.  In this case, I would argue that blackarrow probably already had an established marketing team as part of their company prior to their ASIC announcement.  Since they're on payroll, might as well use them.

For me personally, I find a company's history to be a better indicator of their merits than anything else.  Like a person, you should always bet on a company not changing their habits.  That isn't to say that they can't change, but more times than not they will repeat their mistakes.  BFL is a prime example.  It seems a lot of people forgot that they pulled their same shenanigans back with their original FPGA based product.

From what I know of Blackarrow, their customer service has been stellar, but I recall them tripping on a few early delivery schedules with their Icarus clones (IIRC their FPGA supplier fell through).  Their habits likely won't change, which is to say that I believe they will deliver (as you seem to agree), but may still run into trouble during their early shipping (as do most companies, to be honest).

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 11:43:41 PM

I'm not an illustrater, but i do remember reading somewhere that if you modify a certain percentage of an image, it isn't a rip off, it is fair use. Many illustraters start with an existing image and modify it to fit their purpose. I see nothing wrong with this. You people are crazy. Shocked
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 01:05:17 AM

I'm not an illustrater, but i do remember reading somewhere that if you modify a certain percentage of an image, it isn't a rip off, it is fair use. Many illustraters start with an existing image and modify it to fit their purpose. I see nothing wrong with this. You people are crazy. Shocked

all they did was change the name, add an led, and add an lcd. thats not a major modification, its a blantant ripoff and unlike what will be made.

show of hands, who expects the final product to be roughly 12x12x8cm like they displayed for weeks (months) on the site?

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Threader

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 01:20:10 AM

Serious what it looks like is the least of my concerns. I spend all my time looking at stats not the fucking box

1. Reliable
2. low power usage
3. Price right
4. Shipped on time as scheduled
5. low noise
6. -------
7.--------
8.--------
9.--------
10. Looks

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 02:43:17 AM

The image was used for press releases: http://onbitcoin.com/2013/09/23/black-arrow-offers-pre-orders-for-new-bitcoin-mining-hardware/

http://d1uiva7rkkyvvt.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/20130923-Black-Arrow-Bitcoin-Mining-Prospero-X1.jpg
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: