Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:09:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightning is Live !  (Read 156 times)
kenzawak (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 851

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 03:58:03 PM
Last edit: March 15, 2018, 04:41:55 PM by kenzawak

Big day for bitcoin, Lightning goes live on mainnet!

Announcing the first Lightning beta release for the live bitcoin network, lnd 0.4. Read about it here:
https://blog.lightning.engineering/announcement/2018/03/15/lnd-beta.html
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Aneuk cabang

Activity: 242
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 04:22:59 PM

Big day for bitcoin, Lightning goes live on mainnet! ⚡ 

Announcing the first Lightning beta release for the live bitcoin network, lnd 0.4. Read about it here: https://blog.lightning.engineering/announcement/2018/03/15/lnd-
so the problem get solved?
a few day ago i read the post about DAGchain and its advantages. but with this lightning network of bitcoin, the transaction that require more time which happening all this time is solved by instant. so congrats for everyone!!
BitChief

Activity: 126
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 04:25:59 PM

Announcing the first Lightning beta release for the live bitcoin network, lnd 0.4. Read about it here: https://blog.lightning.engineering/announcement/2018/03/15/lnd-

Yes! This is very bullish news for bitcoin, lightning is a huge development for bitcoin and crypto as a whole. It will be very interesting to see how these second layer solutions evolve and what impact they will have on the structure of cryptomarkets broadly.

GoNetWork★☆★ By the Winning Team at ETHWaterloo ★☆★GoNetWork
▬World's Largest Ethereum Hackathon▬ (https://gonetwork.co/)
bit-freedom

Merit: 256

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 04:29:22 PM

This is indeed a good news for Bitcoin. Hopefully, it will help to clear the fuds going on for the past months. I can’t wait to test lighting transactions.
egtrader

Activity: 247
Merit: 5

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 04:36:04 PM

Very important ubdate nice work devs thank u
VirusTeam

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2018, 04:36:38 PM

and this coin did not fall in price because of the fall of the whole market? what are the predictions for the next couple months?
rlim475

Activity: 59
Merit: 14

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 04:36:47 PM

The link does not work, it shows some sort of an error message. I was under the impression that LN was going to be some years away from implementation which means I may be sorely mistaken and have some reading to do. LN isn't really needed right now but future proofing is highly necessary.
Hughesy26

Activity: 182
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 04:39:24 PM

It's live but is it usable by the average user? When we can send lightning transactions without even knowing what is happening behind the scenes is when the mainstream will adopt it.

If you need to be a tech guru to set it up, it's a great milestone, but I don't think it will effect price for now

❤ MEDICcoin ❤ Discordapp.com/invite/nRAzp4d ❤ Do Good Things-Make Life Better ❤  Masternodes 650% ROI ❤ TeleMedicine ❤
Uberse

Activity: 132

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 04:40:59 PM

It has gone live in Beta. Here is the link: https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/lightnings-first-implementation-now-beta-developers-raise-25m/
WARM SOMBRERO KISSES

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 04:41:21 PM

https://blog.lightning.engineering/announcement/2018/03/15/lnd-beta.html

just add the beta.html part.
kenzawak (OP)

Merit: 851

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 04:42:20 PM

The link does not work, it shows some sort of an error message. I was under the impression that LN was going to be some years away from implementation which means I may be sorely mistaken and have some reading to do. LN isn't really needed right now but future proofing is highly necessary.

I fixed the op, sorry about that.
Uberse

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 05:03:26 PM

Don't expect this to have any positive effect on bitcoin prices. Most people not in the crypto community won't hear about it for months or possibly years. Most in the non-crypto world have yet even to hear of SegWit -- when Coinbase announced its own SegWit implementation, the community was dancing in the streets. And around the world the bitcoin price promptly crashed.
fetokun

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Presale is live!

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 05:05:58 PM

so the problem get solved?
a few day ago i read the post about DAGchain and its advantages. but with this lightning network of bitcoin, the transaction that require more time which happening all this time is solved by instant. so congrats for everyone!!
DAG coins still win as the transactions are on their main chain, while lightning is not on the main chain. Lightning requires you to lock away some bitcoins to transact through it which is a huge disadvantage.

Anti-Cen

Activity: 210
Merit: 26

High fees = low BTC price

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 05:17:08 PM

The inter bank channels have been up for months now
https://lnmainnet.gaben.win/

Normal wallets won't work with it because you need too many buttons to use all the functionality of the
Lightning Protocol that you can read about here https://lightning.network/lightning-network-paper.pdf which
give the banks something called bankers privileges and as mentioned here

If the other party don't want to cheat on you and close the channel with the latest confirmed transaction, everything is fine.
The problems start if the other party close the channel with an old version of the transaction (where you get less coins than with the latest transaction) and you are offline. In this case you could lose coins..
If you are online and see this, you have the possibility to post a transaction where you can grab the coins of the other party.

Just an example:
Initial channel balance is 1 BTC from you and 1 BTC from the other party.
Then a transaction happens from the other party to you. Say you receive 0.2 BTC.
The current status of the channel (latest confirmed transaction) is 1.2 BTC for you, 0.8 BTC for the other side.

If the other party is closing the channel with the first transaction where he closes it with 1 BTC for him and you don't see it, he would be able to steal you those 0.2 BTC.
If you would be online and you recognize it, you could post a transaction (only then) to get the full 2 BTC from the channel.

This means, there is an incentive that all parties play fair and only post the last confirmed transaction and don't cheat. If someone cheats, and the other party see it, this party could then get the whole balance of the transaction and the cheater get nothing. That's the only reason why the lightning network works without trust on the other party.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3128036.0

I won't even start on about single point of failure, centralized, off-block and this is not being a trustless network because
you want to "Be your own bank" as they say so chop, chop and jump in boys and don't come back
later and say that no one warned you.

Mining is CPU-wars and Intel, AMD like it nearly as much as big oil likes miners wasting electricity. Is this what mankind has come too.
Irvinn

Activity: 966
Merit: 104

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 05:42:44 PM

I understand that before mass introduction of the network of lightning in bitcoin is still far away. Ordinary users who are not dedicated to the various wisdom settings to work on this network will not yet be able to use it. In fact, this network will continue to be tested, but on a much larger scale. It is good already that such limited use of it will reduce the load on ordinary bitcoin transactions.
Haunebu

Activity: 3052
Merit: 969

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 05:55:11 PM

Don't expect this to have any positive effect on bitcoin prices. Most people not in the crypto community won't hear about it for months or possibly years. Most in the non-crypto world have yet even to hear of SegWit -- when Coinbase announced its own SegWit implementation, the community was dancing in the streets. And around the world the bitcoin price promptly crashed.
Are you serious? Segwit is being adopted widely by many users these days including myself since more and more people are recognizing the significance of this revolutionary technology and I am expecting it to go mainstream by the end of this year. The lightning network is something which many members of the crypto community have been waiting for anxiously and this will definitely help in triggering a bullish market and will spark a huge rally by the king of the crypto market and other popular altcoins like Ethereum, Ripple, Litecoin etc. This is my optimistic view regarding this feature.

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Spazzer

Activity: 1079
Merit: 309

I love technology.

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2018, 05:56:19 PM

Best news of the day. It's great to see Lightning Network being used in the real world. I'm also excited to soon being able to do cross-chain atomic swaps between BTC and LTC.

there are already roughly a 1,000 nodes running Lightning software on the bitcoin mainnet. The protocol will always be open source.

PHYSIBIT, MANTIS CRYPTOS & CRYPTO QUILTS - The best and most trusted places to shop for physical bitcoins and more!!
Uberse

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 06:33:25 PM

Are you serious? Segwit is being adopted widely by many users these days including myself since more and more people are recognizing the significance of this revolutionary technology and I am expecting it to go mainstream by the end of this year. The lightning network is something which many members of the crypto community have been waiting for anxiously and this will definitely help in triggering a bullish market and will spark a huge rally by the king of the crypto market and other popular altcoins like Ethereum, Ripple, Litecoin etc. This is my optimistic view regarding this feature.

I wrote that "Most people not in the crypto community won't hear about it for months or possibly years" and I think that is true. It's the same with SegWit, alas. Sure, the crypto community knows about them and like you many are optimistic. I'm optimistic about them myself. Expect the public to know about them about the same time the news media -- including Time and the New York Times -- stops saying again and again and again that "Bitcoin miners solve a series of complicated mathematical problems."

Don't hold your breath.  
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 07:43:44 PM

Another huge step forward after SegWit adoption surged. However, it is still a beta software which could have some critical bugs which could lead to the loss of money. That's why previous releases were configured for the testnet.

Big day for bitcoin, Lightning goes live on mainnet!

Actually, Lightning Network was available earlier on the mainnet, most of the LN clients were supporting only testnet to prevent loss of precious coins.

I still think that a better scaling solution is 2GB blocks   Wink

And why is that? Even with Lightning Network we will still need to increase the blocksize in the future. It was designed to handle microtransactions, it takes about 10 minutes for a block to mined whereas LN is almost instant.
Zalandona

Activity: 98

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 05:49:46 AM

Many coin better BTC
Lightning is not necessary
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: