Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:05:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Houston, we have a Major Problem!  (Read 6405 times)
bitrebel (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 07:24:36 AM

Grin

If lending fiat dollars with interest is causing the world economic collapse, will lending bitcoins at interest cause an internet collapse?

If we lend bitcoins with interest, what happens when there are not enough bitcoins to pay off all the interest on the borrowed bitcoins?

And another question for the cosmos...

If I earn 100 bitcoins and I have gains of 75 bitcoins in a given year, and I choose not to cash them in because the price might go up, will I be able to pay the IRS in bitcoins, or do I tell them I didn't pay my taxes because I was waiting for bitcoins to gain in value first?

I have come to a very important conclusion regarding bitcoins and humanity.

Bitcoins and alcohol do not mix well. At least you can't lose your bitcoin wallet at the bar. hehe
Happy Saturday Night folks!

Wink

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nazgulnarsil

Activity: 672
Merit: 258

https://cryptassist.io

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 07:30:06 AM

I has a question about interest!  Instead of learning from any of the many available sources that are the hallmark of the internet age I will spew crap on forums!  TALK GOOD, READ BAD.

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 07:31:12 AM

mmmph.

sleep well.
Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 07:31:44 AM

Grin

If lending fiat dollars with interest is causing the world economic collapse, will lending bitcoins at interest cause an internet collapse?

If we lend bitcoins with interest, what happens when there are not enough bitcoins to pay off all the interest on the borrowed bitcoins?

If I earn 100 bitcoins and I have gains of 75 bitcoins in a given year, and I choose not to cash them in because the price might go up, will I be able to pay the IRS in bitcoins, or do I tell them I didn't pay my taxes because I was waiting for bitcoins to gain in value first?

Bitcoins and alcohol do not mix well. At least you can't lose your bitcoin wallet at the bar. hehe

Wink

I believe once the coin limit is hit, lending bitcoin is ALWAYS with interest since 100 btc would be worth more when returned 12 months down the road. So there's no need to charge extra interest on it hence your hypothetical insufficient bitcoins won't exist.
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 07:34:03 AM

Grin

Wink

I believe once the coin limit is hit, lending bitcoin is ALWAYS with interest since 100 btc would be worth more when returned 12 months down the road. So there's no need to charge extra interest on it hence your hypothetical insufficient bitcoins won't exist.

Isn't that assuming that the price of bitcoin will rise even after the limit is mined? Im not disagreeing with that potential, but it's still potential, not definite. I guess I was assuming it would remain constant at that point, or pretty much so.

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 07:37:47 AM

Because the decimal point can be shifted there will always be enough Bitcoins.

And your right, Bitcoins and computers and alcohol dont mix. On this point I'm reminded of the old analogy - 'garbage in, garbage out'.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 07:43:46 AM

Because the decimal point can be shifted there will always be enough Bitcoins.

Actually, monetarily, this does not solve the dilemma.

Interest does not depend on decimals. It is the means in which something is stolen from nothing.

If there are 21 Million bitcoins potentially and someone lends someone 1 million bitcoins with .5% interest, 20,000 bitcoins are the interest. In fiat currency the interest would be stolen off, in bitcoins, it cannot really be taken anywhere, so the question is semi-redundant and a joke in fact. It's a trick question of sorts.

Xephan

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 07:57:05 AM

Isn't that assuming that the price of bitcoin will rise even after the limit is mined? Im not disagreeing with that potential, but it's still potential, not definite. I guess I was assuming it would remain constant at that point, or pretty much so.

As population would inevitably go up, there should be a demand for more bitcoins to use in transactions. But since the number is limited, the only way is for the value to increase so that each bitcoin can be exchanged for more stuff. In a way it's like gold, because the supply is limited, the value keeps going up now due to increased demand.

Theoretically it should really start to increase only when the limit is mined, unless the number/value of total transactions decreases, e.g. bitcoin economy fails to take off (although if bitcoin is still around by 21M, it should have a relatively stable economy by then I would expect), or WW3 wipes out 90% of the population etc.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 08:05:10 AM

Grin

Wink

Why would I take the risk of lending them out if I receive the "interest" even if I keep them in my cozy wallet? I'd want "additional interest" as an incentive to give credit to someone.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Rob Lister

Activity: 54

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 11:31:29 AM

Grin

Wink

1. lending at interest isn't the cause of 'world economic collapse', however you are defining that term.  fractional reserve banking may be part of the problem, but not the lending itself.

2. lending bitcoins at interest is a risk investment.  you lend based on the borrowers promise to pay you back.  you make it worth your risk by charging interest.  if the borrower defaults, you lose your investment.  that's all that happens.

3. the other question: to the extent that taxes are owed, the IRS requires payment in dollars...or blood.
Xephan

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 11:49:05 AM

Why would I take the risk of lending them out if I receive the "interest" even if I keep them in my cozy wallet? I'd want "additional interest" as an incentive to give credit to someone.

Good point there, I overlooked that Cheesy
Man From The Future

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 11:59:49 AM

I lend person A 1 BTC, and ask for 5% interest, and it to be returned in a month.

He uses this 1BTC, and with it, is able to take a course allowing him to get a job. The job-giving person gives him 1.5BTC.

He gives back 1.05BTC at the end of the month.

That's how it works. You do something that results in you having more BTC, and the other person having less, that you can only do if you have the lent BTC.

PS: Example is rubbish, I know Sad

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
ttk2

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 12:41:45 PM

Grin

Wink

Simple, because the investment (weather it be a loan or something else) would have to return more than keeping the coins in you wallet would, this encourages investment in more productive projects and generally results in a financial world where investors do a lot more investing in higher risk projects hoping for a return higher than just holding those coins. This would encourage invention and innovation by encouraging investment in those.

Just in case i do something worthwhile: 12YXLzbi4hfLaUxyPswRbKW92C6h5KsVnX
D.H.

Activity: 311

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 12:56:27 PM

Lending with interest does not imply that more money has to be created for the loan+interest to be paid back. Money circulates. The money that is used to pay the interest finds its way back into the economy and may very well be used again later to pay back the loan.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 12:59:59 PM

Lending with interest does not imply that more money has to be created for the loan+interest to be paid back. Money circulates. The money that is used to pay the interest finds its way back into the economy and may very well be used again later to pay back the loan.

In the current, fractional reserve lending system this would be correct.  With BTC's finite $21MM coins, it doesn't work this way.  Eventually someone will not be paid back.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 01:44:54 PM

Lending fiat dollars with interest, in the way you're implying, was not the cause of the world economic collapse.

The quantity of money is irrelevant to your question. An economy works equally well with 21m units of currency or 210m units of currency (and of course we know that btc is divisible to 8 decimals anyway).

There is nothing wrong or problematic with "interest loans."  The problems arise from fiat currency and fractional reserve banking. Don't confuse the villains =)
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 02:09:10 PM

i propose that we keep the USD but have Bitcoins replace Gold in a Bitcoin Standard system. 

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 02:26:05 PM

Brain Fart Warning!

I don't have time to outline details, so I'll just leave you with this:

Bitcoin Trust Fund --->  http://www.kiva.org/about/supporters

Bitcoin: Touch--Something We Should Keep In (possibly not relative to Bitcoin, but I like the phrase nonetheless)
JohnDoe

Activity: 392

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 06:57:18 PM

i propose that we keep the USD but have Bitcoins replace Gold in a Bitcoin Standard system. 

Or just don't lend your money to people who probably won't be able to pay up.
sequence

Activity: 58

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 07:03:37 PM

I don't believe in lending anymore I mean look at the U.S if this most powerful nation can't fork up the cash to pay its lenders ( the biggest one being China) how can we expect 20 somethings who are computer savvy to pay interest and sum. Let's break the cycle guys!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: