Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:26:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Explaining Crypto as small talk /Newbie Intro  (Read 85 times)
pemish (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 04:15:22 PM

Hello all,  Grin

Just joined and been reading all through rules and sticky threads, so apologies if I've missed anything and shouldn't have made a new thread!
I found a few old threads sort of on this topic but thought best to start a new one than re-open ancient ones..

About me:
I got into crypto early last year, bought BTC and exchanged some to ETH on blockchain.info, left a small amount on there and HODLing the rest on an Exodus wallet on my laptop. Not too fussed about the current fluctuations, just enjoy having it in my back pocket.
Any big thoughts on this background? Exodus seems relatively well respected in other threads I've seen but could be misreading.

Background to my query:
I've tried to explain to my friends - in laymans terms - what crypto is, how it works, and why it's good, with all the buzz words you'd expect: Bitcoin, decentralised, private and public keys, blockchain, cryptography etc. Excepting blank looks and quick disinterest/moving onto different topics (yeah, like tax litigation is more interesting  Roll Eyes ), I mostly do ok with it and they vaguely ask me about it in catch up chats.

My query:
My question is, at house parties/events with other people, when conversation dries and you look for a topic/when someone randomly brings Bitcoin up either scathingly or with a modicum of interest, how do you start discussing it with other people? If someone says "oh yes I've heard of it but don't understand it", what's your 30 second elevator pitch to try and bring them on board?

Then, if people start 'poking holes' and asking stupid questions (e.g. "surely it's a bubble and will burst", "i don't see the point if you don't buy things with it", "so is it like real money or fake money" etc), how do you combat/diffuse it?

Answers on a postcard, really interested in hearing the discussion.

Thanks Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 04:25:04 PM

You really don't need to go with the technical stuff. Just explain what bitcoin is trying to achieve and how you are your own bank when using bitcoin and how it takes out mediators out of the transaction flow.

About bubbles: If some people don't know anything about bitcoin or cryptocurrencies and general and they think it's a bubble, it's probably just because they read the headline of an article on social media. If they think that way, probably let it be. I wouldn't try to defend bitcoin too much in a sort of house party setting, as I definitely wouldn't like people to see me as a sort of crazy person.

About not being able to buy stuff: Just tell them that bitcoin is a very new technology, so expect the world to take some time for a significant amount of merchants to accept it.

About fake money: There's so many ways of defending this. But I really don't know what approach is best to defend against a casual person.

In the end, just try to understand that bitcoin isn't really for everyone. There are some things that the common person really doesn't know enough to understand some or most of bitcoin's characteristics.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████