Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:24:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet Security for Mining  (Read 246 times)
Spazzer (OP)

Activity: 1079
Merit: 309

I love technology.

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2018, 06:14:26 PM
Last edit: March 29, 2018, 12:16:43 AM by Spazzer

Is internet Security for mining a thing?

I was curious if miners use internet security to protect their location? I figured there was a chance of people being able to track back your location. I wanted to see if VPN or other security measures are common practises for miners. Most people these days use internet and other forums of security for their own home. I guess this question relates mostly to off-site mining locations.

With the news of more equipment being stolen from medium-large mining farms in Iceland and other areas there must be a demand for security side protection.

PHYSIBIT, MANTIS CRYPTOS & CRYPTO QUILTS - The best and most trusted places to shop for physical bitcoins and more!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
score1more

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 07:31:21 PM

Is internet Security for mining a thing?

I was curious if miners use internet security to protect their location? I figured there was a chance of people being able to track back your location. I wanted to see if VPN or other security measures are common practises for miners. Most people these days use internet and other forums of security for their own home. I guess this question relates mostly to off-site mining locations.

With the news of more equipment being stolen from medium-large mining farms in Iceland and other areas there must be a demand for security side protection.

I'd bet that equipment theft is from either obvious tells or loose lips.  Your IP address doesn't provide a street address, and it would only really be known by the pool operator and your ISP.  Your IP address doesn't show up in the block chain unless you're announcing transactions.  Typically, the pool does this for you.

There are other security considerations.  But revealing your IP address to your pool operator may not be one of them.  It probably wouldn't hurt to run through a VPN provider though.

I think many of these operations involve lots of people.  From real estate owners, electricians, property managers, and on and on.  And everyone is proud of Bitcoin and what it has accomplished.  So they're naturally going to be excited about farming and want to share this with others.  If you can resist that temptation, tell your property managers and electricians you're just running a private server cloud, you'd be better off.

Other security considerations, in my mind.  A monitored security system, video cameras storing video in the cloud, and theft/fire insurance and a good firewall with good audit-ability on the logs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: