Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:38:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My Asrock H110 Pro BTC+ caught fire  (Read 875 times)
teedeexyz (OP)

Activity: 74
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 06:47:20 PM

Hi guys,

Today it seems I fried my Asrock H110 Pro BTC+ mobo... Damage on the 12 connected GPUs I still have to assess Sad

The connector of one of the 3 power supply cables to the mobo caught fire. Luckily I had the reflex to pull the power cord from the socket the moment I saw the flames... You can see the damage in this picture. The connector and part of the power cable have melted and the mobo is scorched.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/44e5scw4gkqxfwv/Foto%2015-03-18%2019%2022%2020.jpg

Before replacing the mobo, I want to know what went wrong. I don't want to die in a fire because my rig acts up at night.

The wiring scheme:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vv8s1lhvuuvcojh/rig%20sata-molex.png
The red line indicates the wire that caught fire.

What happened:
- I shut down my rig using remote desktop
- After a minute, I went to check if it was really shut down in the other room. I wasn't, it was on fire.

What I think happened: the mobo shut down PSU1, together with the connected GPUs to that PSU. However, somehow PSU2 failed to shut down, still powering the GPUs.
The GPUs tried to draw power from the mobo, which was only supplied by the one power line from PSU2 which got overloaded and caught fire.

Any thoughts on this?
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BTC22

Activity: 322
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 06:57:40 PM

I had a EVGA 1080ti hybrid catch fire and guess what EVGA won't warranty it. FUCK THEM. Email AsRock right away.
Permonik

Activity: 275
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 07:34:38 PM

Hi guys,

Today it seems I fried my Asrock H110 Pro BTC+ mobo... Damage on the 12 connected GPUs I still have to assess Sad

The connector of one of the 3 power supply cables to the mobo caught fire. Luckily I had the reflex to pull the power cord from the socket the moment I saw the flames... You can see the damage in this picture. The connector and part of the power cable have melted and the mobo is scorched.

Before replacing the mobo, I want to know what went wrong. I don't want to die in a fire because my rig acts up at night.

The wiring scheme:

What happened:
- After a minute, I went to check if it was really shut down in the other room. I wasn't, it was on fire.

What I think happened: the mobo shut down PSU1, together with the connected GPUs to that PSU. However, somehow PSU2 failed to shut down, still powering the GPUs.
The GPUs tried to draw power from the mobo, which was only supplied by the one power line from PSU2 which got overloaded and caught fire.

Any thoughts on this?
Hi,
I think that main problem is, that you are connected auxilliary  power from a different psu. All power connectors on the motherboard (even the auxilliary) must be supply from ONLY one PSU.
pbuva

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 07:48:49 PM

This power indicated as "Extra power 3" must also be from PSU1.
Otherwise the connection is ok, I have this as well.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Dalba

Activity: 92

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 08:15:47 PM

For maximum safety, when you have multiple PSU for 1 rig, you have to connect all motherboard connectors, HDD, some GC and ALL risers on first PSU.
Secondary PSU should only be use to power graphic cards. If you split risers between PSU, you still have a risk...
yrk1957

Activity: 529
Merit: 29

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 08:33:14 PM

For maximum safety, when you have multiple PSU for 1 rig, you have to connect all motherboard connectors, HDD, some GC and ALL risers on first PSU.
Secondary PSU should only be use to power graphic cards. If you split risers between PSU, you still have a risk...

No. A GPU and it’s riser should be on the same PSU.
Eternu

Activity: 560
Merit: 257

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 08:35:12 PM

Similar thing happened to me, but luckily I have seen the damage on my PSU cabal before it has started the fire. What went wrong for me was that, I put too many GPU's on one PSU. Because of that, there was too much stress on PSU's wires, which lead to damaging of wires. Maybe you have same problem. Maybe your PSU is not strong enough to support those 12 GPU's that you have.
teedeexyz (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 08:45:55 PM

This power indicated as "Extra power 3" must also be from PSU1.
Otherwise the connection is ok, I have this as well.
I think so too, but I have to be sure. I don't want to risk this anymore, it's scared me to see my equipment burn up and potentially burn down my house :s

Similar thing happened to me, but luckily I have seen the damage on my PSU cabal before it has started the fire. What went wrong for me was that, I put too many GPU's on one PSU. Because of that, there was too much stress on PSU's wires, which lead to damaging of wires. Maybe you have same problem. Maybe your PSU is not strong enough to support those 12 GPU's that you have.
I'm using 2x Corsair RM1000x PSUs of 1000W a piece. 6 GPUs are on PSU1, 6 on PSU2 Smiley
blacktux88

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2018, 08:47:55 PM

we had the same error with our miners

the riser should sized perfectly for sata power source of the power supply-

we had max 2 riser at one cable

the cable get really hot , our miners are all in air condition

thanks

Hi guys,

The wiring scheme:

What happened:

Any thoughts on this?

64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 10:55:55 PM

I would like to suggest one other possibility if you have a very manual procedure, use MSI AB and you are a tired solo operator.

It's possible on a fresh system reboot, if you use MSI AB to set the TDP and accidentally omit running MSI AB.  When you run whatever mining software you are using, you are running your GPU's flat out.
huntingthesnark

Activity: 357
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2018, 11:00:35 PM

Yes, agreed. Think about it. Also decent psus won't let you do this (tried years ago with an EVGA, wouldn't boot).

For the latest Crypto news and alts info check out https://coinsjar.info/
teedeexyz (OP)

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 11:04:38 PM

I would like to suggest one other possibility if you have a very manual procedure, use MSI AB and you are a tired solo operator.

It's possible on a fresh system reboot, if you use MSI AB to set the TDP and accidentally omit running MSI AB, when you run whatever mining software you are using, you are running your GPU's flat out.
Thank you for your comment.
I've had this in the past: forgot to lower tdp with ab. Luckily my PSUs detect overloading, and it shut off power.

In this case however, the system was shut down or in the process of shutting down, putting an enormous load on that one power cable to the mobo.
Dalba

Activity: 92

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 11:25:02 PM

No, sorry, everything related to motherboard must share the same ground. By plugging risers on different PSU you have a chance to join 2 different ground and make your motherboard break down. In worst case it can start fire. Plugging only graphic cards on a second PSU won't make any problem.
I won't take the risk to see my house burn just for bad plug on a rig...
bigjee

Activity: 434
Merit: 107

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 12:23:59 AM

Helps if you read the manual (which is actually very well written). Im surprised how many ppl dont.
On Page 23:

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/H110%20Pro%20BTC+.pdf
sylabis

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 12:46:22 AM

Hi guys,

The wiring scheme:

What happened:

Any thoughts on this?

Did you connected a molex plug from a 2nd power supply directly into your MB?
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 12:55:07 AM

No, sorry, everything related to motherboard must share the same ground. By plugging risers on different PSU you have a chance to join 2 different ground and make your motherboard break down. In worst case it can start fire. Plugging only graphic cards on a second PSU won't make any problem.

I agree. The PCI-E specification also clearly states the x16 PCI-E slot can be powered by a different PSU rail than the VGA 6/8-Pin aux power on the card. That's how I setup my triple and dual PSU rigs. The same PSU that powers the motherboard also powers all the risers. The other PSU's are only for the VGA power connectors on the cards. If there is more than one 6/8-PIN power connector on the card, you MUST make sure they are powered by the same PSU rail.

bdiddle

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 01:10:36 AM

What? No.

USB PCIe risers DO NOT pass power down the riser to the motherboard.

why tf would you power the riser and GPU 12v power from separate PSU's?

It might work fine if the GPU can handle it, but you can clearly have the riser's powered from a different psu.
Vann

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 01:17:19 AM

The motherboard shares 3.3V and a ground with the riser, which is why you should power the riser with the same PSU that powers the rest of the motherboard. If you measure the outer pins of the riser USB connector coming from the motherboard PCI-E slot connector with a multimeter while the motherboard is on you will see there is 3.3V coming from the motherboard PCI-E slot through the USB cable to the riser.

yrk1957

Activity: 529
Merit: 29

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 02:06:16 AM

I agree. The PCI-E specification also clearly states the x16 PCI-E slot can be powered by a different PSU rail than the VGA 6/8-Pin aux power on the card. That's how I setup my triple and dual PSU rigs. The same PSU that powers the motherboard also powers all the risers. The other PSU's are only for the VGA power connectors on the cards. If there is more than one 6/8-PIN power connector on the card, you MUST make sure they are powered by the same PSU rail.

No. It says additional power supply connector, not additional power supply.

All I have read on these forums is power riser+GPU should be on same PSU.
Vann

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 02:12:56 AM
Last edit: March 16, 2018, 02:56:56 AM by Vann
Merited by vapourminer (1)

The PCI-E specification says the power to the x16 PCI-E slot can come from the same or a different rail in the power supply. Implying the power from the x16 slot is NOT shared with the power to the VGA supplemental 6/8-Pin power connectors, which is also why you can use a different PSU that's connected to the motherboard to power the risers, so they share the same ground as the motherboard. The power on the 6/8-Pin connectors on the card IS shared, which is why they MUST come from the same rail on the PSU. These posts also explain why you should power the risers with the same PSU that powers the motherboard.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1951414.msg19383499#msg19383499
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: