Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:26:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SHA256 + concatenation as good as scrypt?  (Read 1628 times)
lsparrish (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:47:10 AM

I have been thinking about a possible algorithm for key derivation, for use with brainwallets and so forth:

Code:
import hashlib
def derivekey(passphrase,rounds=1024):
    def getdigest(x):
        return hashlib.sha256(x).digest()
    concatenation=getdigest(passphrase)
    for i in range(rounds):
        result=getdigest(concatenation)
        concatenation=result+concatenation
    return result
print derivekey('this is a test').encode('hex')

It simply applies sha256 a bunch of times while prepending results to expand the size, with the final result being based on the whole series (as is the case with each intermediate result).

This is an extremely simple algorithm, but as far as I can tell it seems to be just as useful as scrypt (which is more complex). The succession of digests each rely on the presence of the past ones, so it has to be done sequentially, and has to use up memory.

Am I missing something critical here?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 07:48:34 AM

Please don't go inventing your own cryptography when it can be avoided.

Scrypt did the work to write up an extensive analysis of their effort, and it was reviewed by many people at great cost. And even then the result has not been totally criticism free (http://eprint.iacr.org/2013/525).

With a quick glance at the shape of your implementation, it could have trivially failed to be memory hard at all had you appended instead of prepending. I expect that it's actually spending all of its time shuffling around strings, and that a gpu implementation of it would still end up being a zillion times faster...
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 02:45:00 PM

Yes, Scrypt also put high pressure on CPU cache.
lsparrish (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 03:49:05 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2013, 04:12:44 PM by lsparrish

Scrypt did the work to write up an extensive analysis of their effort, and it was reviewed by many people at great cost. And even then the result has not been totally criticism free (http://eprint.iacr.org/2013/525).

I understand that new crypto has to go through a complicated vetting process to be trusted, and there are good reasons for this. I am just curious as to why something simpler was not settled on in this case. Unnecessary complexity is not our friend.

With a quick glance at the shape of your implementation, it could have trivially failed to be memory hard at all had you appended instead of prepending. I expect that it's actually spending all of its time shuffling around strings, and that a gpu implementation of it would still end up being a zillion times faster...

Lower level code that preinitializes the byte array and moves the pointer down with each iteration could eliminate string-shuffling in software. (I don't know what Python is doing when it prepends -- maybe it's all linked lists or something.) Why would a GPU implementation be faster?

Can you elaborate on this? I couldn't find anything in the scrypt paper, or its Wikipedia article regarding "high pressure on the cpu cache". What does that even mean?
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:49:13 PM

Can you elaborate on this? I couldn't find anything in the scrypt paper, or its Wikipedia article regarding "high pressure on the cpu cache". What does that even mean?

Scrypt intensively reads small chunks of memory from random locations. You implementation reads RAM in ascending order so CPU can easily predict what to put into a cache before u need that data. For Litecoin it's necessary to have 128 KiB stored as close to CPU as possible (512 KiB for SIMD implementation).
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 09:23:53 PM

It really depends on what you're trying to do. You can't expect us to tell you if something is "as good as" something else if you don't even tell us the intended use.

If you're trying to design an altcoin, then in my humble opinion, yes, this would be superior to Scryptcoins, just because it uses Sha (a much more tested algy) than scrypt. And sure, you do require memory, so that's a thing.

StarfishPrime

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 09:25:49 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2013, 09:39:30 PM by StarfishPrime

I understand that new crypto has to go through a complicated vetting process to be trusted, and there are good reasons for this. I am just curious as to why something simpler was not settled on in this case. Unnecessary complexity is not our friend.

Scrypt can be resource intensive and slow, and can appear to have unnecessary complexity, but the algorithm's slow execution speed and extensive resource requirement is actually a feature: It's far more difficult to attempt 100K password hashes in a brute force attack if each one takes 3.5s than if each one takes 3.5ms.
If you need speed and resource efficiency, scrypt is probably not your first choice anyway.

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦