Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:38:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to mine less than 12,5 Btc??  (Read 184 times)
haskellCoder42 (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 09:58:47 PM

How is it possible to mine only 1 or 2 Btc if the reward for one block is 12,5 Btc? I don't think one can mine a half block or less..
Can someone explain this to me?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1587

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 11:00:03 PM

How is it possible to mine only 1 or 2 Btc if the reward for one block is 12,5 Btc? I don't think one can mine a half block or less..
Can someone explain this to me?

Pool mining.
teramit
Legendary

Activity: 1870
Merit: 1387

The Last Cryptocoin Burner

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 11:02:09 PM

if you are connected to a pool it can give you bitcoin less than block size according to your hashpower .So that you may get 1 or 2 btc. If you mine solo and find block then you cant have less than block size. Bytheway 1 or 2 btc share is too big you have to have a huge mining farm.
Kogs

Activity: 86
Merit: 26

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 08:36:49 AM
Merited by Vod (2)

Actually it is possible to create a coinbase transaction which pays less than the maximum possible amount.

Check this url about protocol rules https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Protocol_rules which explains all the checks which are done to ensure consensus.

"block" messages
15. Add block into the tree. There are three cases: 1. block further extends the main branch; 2. block extends a side branch but does not add enough difficulty to make it become the new main branch; 3. block extends a side branch and makes it the new main branch.
16. For case 1, adding to main branch:
  2. Reject if coinbase value > sum of block creation fee and transaction fees

To verify this statement I was also checking the bitcoin code what is actually implemented and I found this https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/src/validation.cpp#L2011-L2017

Code:
bool CChainState::ConnectBlock(const CBlock& block, CValidationState& state, CBlockIndex* pindex,
                  CCoinsViewCache& view, const CChainParams& chainparams, bool fJustCheck)
{
    CAmount blockReward = nFees + GetBlockSubsidy(pindex->nHeight, chainparams.GetConsensus());
    if (block.vtx[0]->GetValueOut() > blockReward)
        return state.DoS(100,
                         error("ConnectBlock(): coinbase pays too much (actual=%d vs limit=%d)",
                               block.vtx[0]->GetValueOut(), blockReward),
                               REJECT_INVALID, "bad-cb-amount");

You can clearly see, that it's not allowed to reward more than the block reward + transaction fees, but anything equal or smaller than the block reward + transaction fees is fulfilling the consensus rules and is valid.

The question is just, if and why someone would not claim the maximum possible reward when mining a block.

Nevertheless that this situation is possible, I'm not sure if your example is actually doing this or if there is another reason like paxmao or teramit already explained.

If you could provide the block hash of your example we could give you a better reason what exactly happens with the block reward inside this block.
haskellCoder42 (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 04:00:23 PM

if you are connected to a pool it can give you bitcoin less than block size according to your hashpower .So that you may get 1 or 2 btc. If you mine solo and find block then you cant have less than block size. Bytheway 1 or 2 btc share is too big you have to have a huge mining farm.

Ok I see, thanks or the answer. So basically instead of mine it alone they share the pow "puzzle" and after solving it first , the 12,5 btc are divided to everyone who participated considering that someone who calculated more hashes per second will receive more than someone who had a less hashrate, right?
Cobalt9317
Copper Member

Activity: 434
Merit: 278

Offering Escrow 0.5 % fee

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2018, 06:59:10 PM

Ok I see, thanks or the answer. So basically instead of mine it alone they share the pow "puzzle" and after solving it first , the 12,5 btc are divided to everyone who participated considering that someone who calculated more hashes per second will receive more than someone who had a less hashrate, right?

AFAIK that statement of yours is correct every pool share their own profit the first pool to find the block will eventually mined the block and divided all the the block rewards along with their participants in the pool. Nevertheless you also need to study the ff:

If the number of unconfirmed transaction grows higher than expected mining pool would only accept a future transaction with a reasonable amount transaction fee. in other words oneself need to put a big amount of transaction fee every time s/he needs to send a transaction to make it confirmable.

The power of your mining equipment have the equivalent power consumption.

The rewards of every block have a halving event estimatedly every four years.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: