Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:25:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC not so anonymous with Coinbase?  (Read 7348 times)
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 11:15:45 AM

I was thinking, if you buy your BTC at Coinbase and then transfer them wherever, anyone with access to Coinbase's records will be able to track your BTC and tie them to you.  Is that right?
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 11:19:47 AM

Bitcoin is not anonymous

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
Philj

Activity: 388

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 11:35:54 AM

Access to any exchange would allow you to track the coins, this isn't something specific about coinbase. Some methods of exchange may be slightly closer to being anonymous, but none are completely anonymous. If you really want to get coins in a way that can't be tracked, then solo mine so that no one has any info on you.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2013, 11:43:16 AM

or try gate.bitcoinfog.com

Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 11:44:14 AM

If you then move to another address of yours, nobody without records of your addresses can be sure they are still yours.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 11:46:03 AM

I was thinking, if you buy your BTC at Coinbase and then transfer them wherever, anyone with access to Coinbase's records will be able to track your BTC and tie them to you.  Is that right?
Right. Bitcoins are not anonymous.
saif92

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 12:28:35 PM

Right. Bitcoins are not anonymous.

bitcoins which are coming through mining just anonymous and which are coming through companies not its very usual stuff nothing special in this  Smiley

howzar

Activity: 574

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 12:51:37 PM

They have a high degree of "anonymity" but not complete. If you Pay BTC's from any source you can be linked to that BTC and I presume you are talking about the ID/Confirmation before bank deposit thingy,
the point is how deep are you linked? ,for example you bough BTC's from Coinbase and then bough silver with it and money was send to "ABC" ,Later "ABC" buys something illegal from "NBC" who buys cat food with it etc etc etc... making it nearly impossible to follow BTC and actually determine who did a specific thing with it considering wallets are not named and only direct exchangers who require ID's can link that ID with an Address but not the one after it etc...
also it think it worth mentioning that most gambling/wallet/exchanging/auction sites send the BTC's given/taken from different addresses to cover the amount for your address and payment.
Just my 2 μBTC  Smiley
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 01:59:36 PM

So when the government looks at Coinbase's records, since Coinbase ties user accounts to bank accounts, the government knows how many coins each person has and how much they've appreciated?
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 04:54:56 PM

So when the government looks at Coinbase's records, since Coinbase ties user accounts to bank accounts, the government knows how many coins each person has and how much they've appreciated? had.
Fixed.

As others have mentioned, it's possible to move bitcoins you've purchased from Coinbase in a way that is indistinguishable from spending them, so you can create plausible deniability with regards to still possessing them.
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 05:15:18 PM

Sorry, I'm still new and I don't have the same grasp as most here.  How are BTC moved from Coinbase in a way that is indistinguishable from spending them?
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 06:02:27 PM

Any centralized entity has this drawback. If you buy BTC on an exchange, yes, they have your IP logs, and yes, they if it came down to it, your coins could likely be tied to you. Then again, you could always mix them....
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 06:32:48 PM

Mix them?
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 06:47:35 PM

Yep. And Coinbase's connections to the banking world make it just a short skip and a jump to the rest of the domestic intel sector.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 11:48:04 PM

Mix them?
Yes, use a coin mixing service so that the coins you bought aren't the coins that are in your possession -- ie. the Coinbase coins that were tied to your IP/bank account are no longer the coins you hold. Then you just need to come up with a story re what ever happened to those coins, should it come up. Like, when the tax man comes knockin.  Smiley
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 08:31:16 AM

An exchange knows who you are, but how do they know if the address you're withdrawing your coins to is your's?
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 12:25:03 PM

An exchange knows who you are, but how do they know if the address you're withdrawing your coins to is your's?
Legally you are allowed only to withdraw to your addresses, AFAIK.

bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 05:12:31 PM

You say legally, but you must mean according to the Coinbase terms of service, right?  Or is there actually a law dictating this?

BTC really isn't as anonymous as I thought.  I don't think many people will want to send BTC to a third party (myself included).  It sounds like the government will be collecting a lot of taxes from BTC appreciation.  Are people already paying taxes on this?
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 06:43:18 PM

You say legally, but you must mean according to the Coinbase terms of service, right?  Or is there actually a law dictating this?
I guess there's a law, otherwise why should exchanges care about were you transfer your money?

justmyname

Activity: 389

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 02:00:51 AM

So when the government looks at Coinbase's records, since Coinbase ties user accounts to bank accounts, the government knows how many coins each person has and how much they've appreciated?

They can't tell how many you spent. You only have to pay taxes when you cash them out. I would guess.

If I cash out some Bitcoins on Coinbase.  I will add up all the money spent on Bitcoins and the amount of  Bitcoins I have ever bought. Figure out the average cost of my Bitcoins. Then subtract that from the amount of each Bitcoin sold. To get the appreciation rate.

Then if it is determined that I have to pay off the mafia government. I will do it (at gun point of course) to keep them from trying to steal my stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: