Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:46:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Playing ASIC catchup  (Read 787 times)
bcpokey (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 09:45:22 PM

So, I started a new job a few months ago, and basically had to fall off the face of the bitcoin world, I have a little more time now and check in to see a lot of changes, but sadly a few months in bitcoin world is like a few centuries elsewhere, so I was wondering if anyone could give me the highlights on where things stand since I last checked in (around june/july)?

Last I knew, Avalon had shipped batches 1 and some of 2, with batch 3 to be on the nearest horizon. There were a billion and 1 chips ordered in 10k batches to be delivered in August.
BFL had just started shipping a few drips of jalapenos, KNCMiner was just opening up for business to deliver in September as the new hot kid on the block, and that's about all I think.

Now I see over 2 petahash of power online, so someone must have delivered, can someone fill me in?

Thanks.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 09:46:32 PM

continue here for answers: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170332.0 .)
bcpokey (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 09:48:35 PM

I hope your reply will serve as a succinct demonstration of why I'd like a quick headlines, and why it's not unreasonable to ask, rather than read 866 pages (of just 1 thread).
spiccioli
Legendary

Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003

nec sine labore

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 09:50:14 PM

I hope your reply will serve as a succinct demonstration of why I'd like a quick headlines, and why it's not unreasonable to ask, rather than read 866 pages (of just 1 thread).

Start from here, just a few pages to get the idea

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=283820.msg3037399#msg3037399

spiccioli
Tehfiend

Activity: 491
Merit: 514

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 10:13:35 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2013, 05:44:39 AM by Tehfiend

LMAO!

There is still much fog/FUD in the world of ASIC miners.

Bitsyncom/Avalon have taken a huge hit to their reputation with the not quite explained delays to batches 2/3, trade-in refunds, and bulk chip orders and pretty much non existent customer service. Their "no bullshit" bulk chip order delays devastated the "DIY" board community that was just starting to emerge. However on the other hand they just completed an auction via Tradehill that resulted in some very competitively priced 60GH "Avalon mini's" selling for 2.21BTC each which shipped in less than 3 days earning some points back from me. They are also selling overpriced "off the shelf" hardware on their website now as Yufi has stated he will never do pre-orders again. I honestly can't complain about my batch 2 Avalon's despite the extreme delay since they've run well overclocked more than 25% since June and have turned a decent profit. They plan to hold a "gen2" auction via Tradehill soon which I plan to keep my eye on as I was happy with the experience when buying some mini's in this weeks auction...

KNC has also turned some heads by bringing a 500+GH miner to market in around 4 months but experienced some slight delays and technical issues but IMO are handling it very well and have been offering refunds and compensation in many situations. I will be watching for their next generation of miners as I have been very happy with my Jupiter and general experience despite the delay...

BFL? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA do not touch with a 1000ft pole.

Bitfury's also unleashed a lot of 55nm chips on the market but I honestly have not been following them too closely as well as the handful of other manufactures that have popped up recently with pre-orders "shipping soon".

Pretty much it takes a lot of research and even more luck. Wish I had more time to share more but hope this helps... good luck!

/$0.02
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 01:51:09 AM

Bitfury flies under the radar a bit. the bitfury orders turned quite a tasty profit, or so I've heard... I also haven't been following them, but I wish I would have been.

*edit* Oh yeah, any advice I would give, is try to find a situation where you will have access to cheap electricity, lots of it. If you have that, you will be able to buy up the early ASIC's for pennies on the dollar. (minus shipping, perhaps)

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
bcpokey (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 09:54:52 PM

Thankee for a bit of breakdown, and the D&T chart helped. I was curious how people had fared, looks like a lot of the usual, many promises, some come through, many do not, but still, pushing 3 PH... yowza. And there goes the BTC price exploding again, which I'm sure will make things even more interesting.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: