Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:18:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Yale Professor Surprise: Tea Party Supporters More Scientifically Literate than  (Read 5427 times)
Nancarrow

Activity: 492
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 18, 2013, 10:00:50 PM

Actually, even the noise says something, which is that the idea that "All Tea Party types are morans who need to get a brain" is false, as the survey does not show that, and at best shows that they're just scattered all over like everyone else.

Well I wouldn't say it disproves that hypothesis, it simply does not provide good evidence for or against it. (In addition to the problems of unknown sample quality, and the disparity between 'having a brain' and 'being scientifically literate', as FirstAscent implied)

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 04:26:06 PM

..."Obama is a secret muslim nazi" territory....

looks about right TO ME!!!

Smiley
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 05:08:27 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2013, 08:28:14 PM by Carlton Banks

But, and again about GOP, somethings I recall from memory, obligatory vaginal ultrasound, ongoing battle against abortion, "legitimate rape", "honest rape", "gift from god rape", 10 commandments in public places, "marriage is between a man and a woman like god intended", isn't/wasn't Michelle Bachmann a very important figure in the party and her husband was a cure gays with faith preacher?

I'm can't remember more stuff, but I'm pretty sure the Intelligent Design/Creationism people are right wing.

I do understand that these people don't represent the all pie, but they have power and are very vocal about this stuff.

Plus this quote from Barry Goldwater:

Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.

For whatever reason, people outside the US get the bible-belt impression of the Republicans, whereas inside the US, the broad Libertarian message is just a way to hook the more rational voters (although actual use of the L-word is rare in the mainstream, the concepts just get borrowed and dumped as the user deems fit). If the Libertarians get any reference made to them at all outside the US, they are labelled "extremists" or "the far-right", as mind-bendingly weird as that sounds. Libertarians are of course much closer to the center ground (in the intellectually repellent left-right spectrum), but that doesn't stop news media from misrepresenting the truth.

A good example is a great quote from Terry Gilliam on his dystopian comedy movie "Brazil". He basically says that the popularity of "Brazil" with the American far-right took him by surprise. I don't know for sure whether he's being knowingly ignorant, but it stretches credulity to think an actual American could possibly be so foolish to truly believe they were making an accurate statement saying something like that.

Vires in numeris
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 07:13:58 PM

April 13, 2010 - http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/outcrazying-the-crazy-how-a-prankster-plans-to-infiltrate-and-destroy-the-tea-party-movement

Meet Jason Levin, quite possibly the scariest man in the tea party universe. An Oregon technology consultant, Levin is the leader of Crash The Tea Party, a plan to take down the tea party from the inside. Levin says he's got a growing cadre of supporters across the country, and conservatives from the message boards to the set of the Sean Hannity's show are getting nervous.

"Our plan is not to shout them down," Levin told me yesterday, "but to infiltrate them and push them farther from the mainstream."

The scheme reads like a sequel to "Being John Malkovich": Levin's group of protesters plan to get in the heads of tea partiers at the Tax Day Tea Parties nationwide Thursday and manipulate them right out of relevance. They'll dress like tea partiers, talk like tea partiers and carry signs like tea partiers. In fact, according to Levin they'll be completely indistinguishable from tea partiers, except for one thing -- they won't be out-crazied by anyone.

"Our goal is that whenever a tea partier says 'Barack Obama was not born in America,' we're going be right right there next to them saying, 'yeah, in fact he wasn't born on Earth! He's an alien!" Levin explained. He said that by making the tea parties sound like a gathering of crazy people -- his group's goal -- the movement will lose its power.

Levin said he got the idea from a counter-protest to the infamous Westboro Baptist Church group held outside Twitter headquarters in January. Levin said the Westboro group broke up after counter-protesters showed up holding signs "even crazier" than the ones held by the Westboro group. "They realized they couldn't get their message out, so they just left" Levin said.
------------------------------
SOROS Money VS KOCH Money.
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:48:33 AM

i'm inclined not to believe this, but go Tea Partyers! you sure don't look intelligent!  Smiley

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 02:26:20 AM

But, and again about GOP, somethings I recall from memory, obligatory vaginal ultrasound, ongoing battle against abortion, "legitimate rape", "honest rape", "gift from god rape", 10 commandments in public places, "marriage is between a man and a woman like god intended", isn't/wasn't Michelle Bachmann a very important figure in the party and her husband was a cure gays with faith preacher?

I'm can't remember more stuff, but I'm pretty sure the Intelligent Design/Creationism people are right wing.

I do understand that these people don't represent the all pie, but they have power and are very vocal about this stuff.

Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.

For whatever reason, people outside the US get the bible-belt impression of the Republicans, whereas inside the US, the broad Libertarian message is just a way to hook the more rational voters (although actual use of the L-word is rare in the mainstream, the concepts just get borrowed and dumped as the user deems fit). If the Libertarians get any reference made to them at all outside the US, they are labelled "extremists" or "the far-right", as mind-bendingly weird as that sounds. Libertarians are of course much closer to the center ground (in the intellectually repellent left-right spectrum), but that doesn't stop news media from misrepresenting the truth.

A good example is a great quote from Terry Gilliam on his dystopian comedy movie "Brazil". He basically says that the popularity of "Brazil" with the American far-right took him by surprise. I don't know for sure whether he's being knowingly ignorant, but it stretches credulity to think an actual American could possibly be so foolish to truly believe they were making an accurate statement saying something like that.

Sorry, I son't see Republicans as Libertarians, there's Ron Paul, but he just seems crazy town...

I've label myself as "liberal" as long as I remember, then I learned it is a political statement in US, I've studied US "liberals", I don't identify with them!!

But, as you have been saying, labels are what they are, and I need one for me. Smiley

Anyway, I'm too drunk to type...

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 09:34:21 PM

Sorry, I son't see Republicans as Libertarians, there's Ron Paul, but he just seems crazy town...

I've label myself as "liberal" as long as I remember, then I learned it is a political statement in US, I've studied US "liberals", I don't identify with them!!

But, as you have been saying, labels are what they are, and I need one for me. Smiley

Anyway, I'm too drunk to type...

The same people who hijacked occupy hijacked the tea party using the previously discussed Levin model. Their nightmare is the 2 groups realizing how much they actually have in common. Their only hope to conquor us is to divide us into more and more radicalized smaller sects. At the core of these groups are normal every day intelligent people who want rule of law and an end of corruption. On either ends are the radicals who are either placed there to astroturf, are missing a few nuts and bolts, or are kool-aid drinking true believers. Remember when occupy lost momentum? It was EXACTLY when they started to organize along side the tea party, then POOF... whats occupy?

I guess my point, and the point that this doctor who did the study is trying to make is that science helped him peel back the bullshit and look at reality. Reality is often shocking and not what you expected. Humans are fallible and have limited perceptions. The moment you think you KNOW something for sure you are instantly wrong. Even if you don't watch the media everyone around you does, and they effect your perceptions. The collective conscious is like a virus infecting all of us like it or not. If you can accept this you might get a chance to have a free thought before you die. When they offer you the next shit sandwich and ask you if you want it in liberal or conservative, don't just pick your preferred flavor of shit sandwich... tell them to eat it!
scarsbergholden

Activity: 686

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 10:33:20 PM

i'd be very curious to know how subject selection was done here....

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 11:00:26 PM

The same people who hijacked occupy hijacked the tea party using the previously discussed Levin model. Their nightmare is the 2 groups realizing how much they actually have in common. Their only hope to conquor us is to divide us into more and more radicalized smaller sects. At the core of these groups are normal every day intelligent people who want rule of law and an end of corruption. On either ends are the radicals who are either placed there to astroturf, are missing a few nuts and bolts, or are kool-aid drinking true believers. Remember when occupy lost momentum? It was EXACTLY when they started to organize along side the tea party, then POOF... whats occupy?

I guess my point, and the point that this doctor who did the study is trying to make is that science helped him peel back the bullshit and look at reality. Reality is often shocking and not what you expected. Humans are fallible and have limited perceptions. The moment you think you KNOW something for sure you are instantly wrong. Even if you don't watch the media everyone around you does, and they effect your perceptions. The collective conscious is like a virus infecting all of us like it or not. If you can accept this you might get a chance to have a free thought before you die. When they offer you the next shit sandwich and ask you if you want it in liberal or conservative, don't just pick your preferred flavor of shit sandwich... tell them to eat it!

Actual LOLs on "...tell them eat it!".

Aristotle (you know, from like thousands of years ago) documented the basic phenomenon in his study of Tyrants. The Tyrant, as part of his toolkit, divides his enemy by getting them to fight each other. I've been trying to get people over in the Political Stripes thread to cotton on to this, they're responding by continuing with the whole "gee, it turns out I'm much more specifically Liberal-Socio-Capitalist than I ever imagined!!!!1" sort of thing.

NWO should raze this place to the ground, I'm just about ready to turn. Anyone from Globalists Inc., PM me, I'll gladly help out herding them into the FEMA camps or whatever. Anything's better than trying to herd them into thinking with their very own personal mind.

Vires in numeris
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: