Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:00:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to stay safe from bitcoin theives  (Read 184 times)
jerick06 (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 04:30:58 AM

Bitcoin is now a growing trend which causes theives to rob millonaires who hold a high valued bitcoin not only online, but also in person. There are cases that theives robbed the house of a bitcoin holder and beat him after. So I read this ways to keep your bitcoin safe and I want to share it to the users.

One is to create a multisignature wallet. It requires a several private keys to authorize bitcoin tansaction. You can choose how many devices or people you want to share the wallet with. It also addresses the structure which lets you splits those private keys across multiple devices or among multiple people.

Second most common way to keep your bitcoin safe is not to be boastful. Don't share on social media that you're holding a bitcoin or how many money you owned. It will keep you an easy target to theives.

So these are the ways that i've read. Feel free to add.

SCAVO.FARM (https://scavo.farm) SELF-SUSTAINING CRYPTO MINING FARM  BY USING RENEWABLE
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sylance

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 04:53:49 AM

Hardware wallet is the way to go.  If you're a long time holder you can purchase a hardware wallet and move the wallet offsite.  That's probably the most secure way.  Doug Polk (a YouTuber) goes as far as splitting his coins into three hardware wallets and storing them in three different safety deposit boxes.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
AlexAtom

Activity: 560
Merit: 10

YOUC - www.youengine.io

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 06:55:18 AM

Yeah, it is so sad that many bad peoples trying to get bitcoin with illegal ways.
we as the bitcoin holders must extra careful not to get scammed and thanks for your thread,
it is useful for adding the knowledge about how to keep safe.

●   John McAfee Supports   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  Advertising Platform  ❱❱❱❱❱❱ 
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  YOUC  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
tosindesign

Activity: 75
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 07:20:07 AM

You can store your coins on online payment site like coinspayment and use 2fa security.hardware wallet are good but the hardware might have hardware issues such as if you have kids at home who might want to play with when you are not at home.
namei87

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 07:23:46 AM

Bitcoin's characteristics determine that Bitcoin cannot be tied to individuals. Therefore, the most important thing for bitcoin security is to look at your own methods of preservation. If you have Bitcoin all on the platform, you need to worry about this platform. The defense network is strong enough to resist the invasion of hackers.
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 07:33:41 AM

There are cases that theives robbed the house of a bitcoin holder and beat him after.

where did this happen? I have never heard about this one before!

so far any cases of physical robbery that I have heard of was the case of someone not being careful, for example people who wanted to sell their coins face to face but chose a back alley, a parking lot with nobody around,... for their trades with a shady person who they have never seen before. it is like an open invitation to get robbed. so obviously don't do that and you are going to be fine Smiley

Only Bitcoin
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 3647

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 08:38:14 AM

You should learn anything about Bitcoin and read the source code in particular to protect yourself. [prevention is better than cure.]
In general, it is impossible to hack a Bitcoin network, which makes any loss because of you.

• Do not tell anyone about your private key, seed or password.
  • Use hardware wallets for long-term.
  • Read the source code.
  • Do not download non-trusted programs

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 08:41:25 AM

so far any cases of physical robbery that I have heard of was the case of someone not being careful, for example people who wanted to sell their coins face to face but chose a back alley, a parking lot with nobody around,... for their trades with a shady person who they have never seen before. it is like an open invitation to get robbed. so obviously don't do that and you are going to be fine Smiley

I wish it were that simple, but there have been plenty of assault cases. Here are four examples of attacks this year alone:

https://cointelegraph.com/news/russia-blogger-who-boasted-about-crypto-wealth-beaten-and-robbed-for-425k
https://cointelegraph.com/news/russian-crypto-developer-beaten-robbed-of-300-btc-on-moscow-streets
https://btcmanager.com/russian-couple-robbed-100000-worth-bitcoin-thailand/
https://www.ccn.com/leningrad-bitcoin-blogger-who-boasted-of-his-wealth-gets-robbed-and-beaten/

The last one wasn't robbed of crypto as far as I know, but is an example that people involved in crypto are a target. Keeping yourself anonymous seems to be the best way to protect yourself from these kinds of attacks for now. You never know who's trustworthy, and your holdings are none of other people's business anyway. The downside is that you won't be able to advocate for crypto as much.

hureuy

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:05:58 AM

Bitcoin is not perfect. It also has some flaws. When buying and selling bitcoins, it may involve the security of the trading platform. There have been cases of platform theft before. Therefore, it is very important to choose a safe and stable platform. Of course, it is safer not to put Bitcoin in an offline wallet when you do not buy or sell.
Fire316

Activity: 281

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:14:14 AM

Wallet can stole by hackers,i think there is no safe wallet for bitcoin. The only safest way is not to trust to anyone,make your bitcoin wealth,password and private key anonymous. If you are worried that you might forget your password or private key,just put it on a piece of paper and place it in a secured place without someone knowing it but only you. As a bitcoiners i think you should be wise more than the hackers and thieves.
StevenPop

Activity: 196

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:17:59 AM

Secure your wallet with all measures available. Take appropriate steps to make sure that your coins are safe. If you use an online wallet then use every security measure your wallet provides. And if you can, get a hardware wallet to store your coins in and use cold storage.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 09:21:21 AM

There are cases that theives robbed the house of a bitcoin holder and beat him after.

where did this happen? I have never heard about this one before!

I started a thread about one case in the Ivory Tower here.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2838558.0

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
liangweicha

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:28:07 AM

I think buying a hardware wallet is probably a good way to stay safe.
Because if you have enough bitcoin assets, you should try to avoid networking.

TorbiK

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

Diagon

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:29:09 AM

You should use hardware wallet. Always keep on eyes on which sites do you visit, to avoid phishing. Don't tell anybody about your funds in cryptocurrency.

DIAGON  e S p o r t s       Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAP CN SPN RU   WHITEPAPER  ]   ICO ❱ ❱  Nov. 12 th
facebook    TWITTER    reddit     ────   (   B U Y   )   ────
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2968
Merit: 600

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:33:39 AM

Keep yourself low profile. Who on Earth will published that he owns tons of bitcoins in the internet. Thieves aren't just living on cyber world by they are also looking for their prey in real life just like the example you mentioned. Stay away from untrusted websites and don't just click them and download because it can contain some malicious software that can also penetrate to your PC.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
ivakar

Activity: 756
Merit: 507

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 09:37:19 AM

Well there is two options :
1. do not have bitcoins at all. so no btc. no problem
2. if the 1st is not an option, then best way I guess the hardware wallet..  or separate ssd drive with a copy of bitcoin blockchain, once synced and do not connected to internet
imho
tikong

Activity: 154
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 04:07:20 PM

How to stay safe from bitcoin thieves?don't tell anybody about you funds in cryptocurrency andif you use an online wallet the use every security measure your wallet provides
khelan

Activity: 238

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 04:58:01 PM

1. Never keep your bitcoin in exchange or centralized wallet.
2. Always use secure connection and check website's credibility if you're using online wallet
3. If you're using desktop/mobile wallet, make sure the device is clean and you download the wallet from genuine website.
4. Use Hardware Wallet and buy from official website/seller. Some fake/malicious hardware wallet comes with it's mnemonic seed.

While multi-signature address is good way to secure bitcoin, it's not really convenient and the transaction size is bigger.

--snip--
  • Read the source code.

Not really good advice since only developer or those with programming knowledge can "review" the source code.

yes i saved.... someone hack my centralized exchange but got nothing as all my money i kept on MEW. is it safe to keep money on MEW??
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 11:59:11 AM

is it safe to keep money on MEW??

It is safer to use MEW offline.

One is to create a multisignature wallet.

Is this your idea on earning merits? you are not providing anything useful. if you want to earn merits, post a step by step tutorial on how to create a multi-signature wallet with pictures and then PM me.

🖤😏
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: