Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:03:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY DIDN'T I SOLO MINE!!!  (Read 5238 times)
Trini8ed (OP)

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

<3 Bitcoins

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 04:58:47 PM

So today I looked on my deepbit account and see this

"Number of blocks found by you: 7"

I Only have 1.6 ghash and this? I have been mining with deepbit for like 1 and a half months and then i see that omg my luck D:

Everyone Loves Donations: 1PEVhtmnBqiN8rYXLHhtUWAB6q9X63Zm9D
Steam Profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Trini8ed

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 05:02:52 PM

probably an error in their code

mooo for rent
gnaget

Activity: 154
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 05:04:30 PM

You wouldn't have generated those 7 blocks if you were mining solo.  Part of the header that you are encrypting is the merkle root, which would have been completely different if you were solo, because the 50 block reward would have been to your address.  To put it simply, you can't use your "luck" in the pool to estimate your "luck" running solo
Trini8ed (OP)

Activity: 375

<3 Bitcoins

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 05:27:20 PM

You wouldn't have generated those 7 blocks if you were mining solo.  Part of the header that you are encrypting is the merkle root, which would have been completely different if you were solo, because the 50 block reward would have been to your address.  To put it simply, you can't use your "luck" in the pool to estimate your "luck" running solo

Whatever I still am lucky a friend has only solved 1 and I have solved 7 and he has 4.1 ghash while I have 1/4 of that and hes been mining for about the same I guess I just got lucky I guess...

Everyone Loves Donations: 1PEVhtmnBqiN8rYXLHhtUWAB6q9X63Zm9D
Steam Profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Trini8ed
gnaget

Activity: 154
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 05:52:05 PM

probability is hard
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 08:15:36 PM

EDIT: Found it.

Well I've found a few blocks on deepbit, how about that. I made tycho some good bux Tongue

I'm not bummed though, I'm still doing statistically about as well as would be expected otherwise.
bigcoiner

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 08:49:02 PM

where on deepbit web site can I find the number of blocks found by you?

So today I looked on my deepbit account and see this

"Number of blocks found by you: 7"

I Only have 1.6 ghash and this? I have been mining with deepbit for like 1 and a half months and then i see that omg my luck D:
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 08:58:43 PM

where on deepbit web site can I find the number of blocks found by you?
Near the bottom of here: https://deepbit.net/settings

bigcoiner

Activity: 20

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 07:50:00 AM

i should have solo mined also.  It appears that I would have gotten 3x more bitcoins mining solo than mining in the pool according to my stats on deepbit and BtcGuild.
nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 07:58:21 AM

Are you people serious? That's like "I chose the wrong lottery ticket". It's probability, luck, chance, fate, whatever. Your solo performance has absolutely nothing to do with your pool record.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2011, 08:58:56 AM

i guess no-one read this :S
and i found a block on slushes om my single 5770 @ 200HMhash, i now have nearly 4Ghash and "found" my second block 3 months later

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
dikidera

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 09:00:46 AM

Are you people serious? That's like "I chose the wrong lottery ticket". It's probability, luck, chance, fate, whatever. Your solo performance has absolutely nothing to do with your pool record.
I found 3 blocks on slush's pool. I got angry about that, went solo right away, and 8 hours later, boom, i found a block. 11 days later another one. With just a SINGLE 5850 doing 275mhash/s back then.
talldude

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 01:05:21 PM

been mining for a month and some, haven't found a block. I guess the pool is doing its job Smiley
BitcoinHoarder

Activity: 144

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 04:10:44 PM

Solo mining from day 1 and I think it's worth it.

In pooled mining there is no good luck, just annuity.  In solo mining you MIGHT get lucky in the short term (I have) and will get paid fairly in the long run.
BitcoinHoarder

Activity: 144

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 04:29:01 PM

Very simple, create a bitcoin.conf, start the bitcoin program in "Server mode" (add -server) to the command line, and point miners at localhost.  Google for the specifics.
arashd

Activity: 134

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 07:39:35 PM

I am really confused. I always thought mining in a pool means all the participants are sharing their computing power towards finding a common block and that the pool server will send out to each worker a "piece of the puzzle" to solve & and solo mining you have to solve everything yourself. Is it correct to assume if you found a block in a pool over a certain period of time that you would also find a block by solo mining? I have 3.2g/hash in a pool right now for about 2 weeks and have only found 1 block according to the pool stats.
nazgulnarsil

Activity: 672
Merit: 258

https://cryptassist.io

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 07:58:13 PM

I can not into variance.  Halp.

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
mastergamer

Activity: 56

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 10:33:59 PM

Btw, iam mining for about 1,5 month at deepbit at 1,3ghash and ive never found one single block.
btcbaby

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2011, 03:40:08 AM

Difficulty increases as time marches on and we are fast approaching the time next year when the amount of bitcoins awarded will be half.  Here's the rub.  There are a fixed amount of blocks and that number decreases by one approximately every 10 minutes (much faster on Deepbit right now).  Every block gone permanently reduces the maximum amount of revenue you can make in Bitcoin.  Also new miners can pile in at any time to make the work you are doing harder if the network has to adjust in an extreme way.  Unless you have significant hashing power and can earn multiple blocks per days solo mining it makes more sense to participate in a pool and get a cut of every block.  As continuous  time spent increases your payout statistically should be what you would be making solo mining minus fees of 0-3% without difficulty risk.  Difficulty risk meaning that in reality your fastest worker in your private pool  contributing to your overall hash rate is way to slow to realistically find a block before the fastest workers in the network.  Slowest workers being CPU miners at around 20Mh/s and fastest being over 700Mh/s.

Bottom-line: For $20K you could build 20 machines to gross 4,345 BTC worth $60.8K@14BTC .  That's $40K in profit in year one if prices hold, but of course they can go up or down.  So mining is literally a business that runs itself and with significant hashing power that is maintained you can make it Ramen profitable running a shit load of machines.  You can boost profitability and get geometric gains when the market is volatile, but for the majority of Bitcoin's life it hasn't been.  The run up to $30 was something special as well as the volatility afterwards that day traders love.  I think for a while we will just be seeing a lot of sideways trends both bullish and bearish. 

In the end Bitcoin is just money.  Build something of value and sell it if you want to make money.  I think the pool providers are an excellent example.  They are selling longterm mining insurance for a 0-3% fee. In exchange I think Deepbit is easily pulling in over $200K/yr conservatively.  I don't think mining is worth it you can't afford a hashrate that expects several blocks a day. Most of the professional employed technical guys can make a lot more money just working.  Building out a 50 machine server farm to net $151K for example is a poor allocation of resources.  With that upfront allocation of resources you could build a business that accepts any form of payment and earn a ton more. 

For the record I'm a miner with about 2Gh/s.  I can't justify the throwing a ton of cash into miners vs buying a ton of Facebook stock when it IPOs.  Going long on mining at this stage is gambling.  I would be interested in a pool where membership requires a 2Gh/s minimum.  That could be really cool and ultra profitable. Like the ladders for Bticoin miners, LOL!!!  See you all in NYC for the conference!

-btcbaby 

http://www.btclog.com/uploads/FileUpload/e6/9cc97eb4c91db1ec5fb30ca35f0da8.png
Write an excellent post on btc::log and you just might win 1BTC in our daily giveaway.
btc::log is the professionally managed and community moderated Bitcoin Forum
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: