Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:56:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: request: encryption subforum  (Read 138 times)
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 04:49:22 PM

Could we have an encryption subforum in which we can discuss things like dm-crypt, LUKS, Veracrypt, different hashing algorithms, different encryption algorithms (simple, cascaded...), plausible deniability, PGP... and other schemes, something which I find to be an interesting topic and is somewhat related to Bitcoin but sometimes too meta to post in the development section of Bitcoin?

For example I wanted to talk about encryption algos here and plausible deniability to protect against IRL thieves but this thread got pushed into off-topic which I think it's unfair, now in the off-topic section it will get buried with other unrelated threads.

The idea would be to have a section similar to the one in wilderssecurity forum but in here to talk with other Bitcoin fellows, I think good topics could arise and would bring more traffic to the site too.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 05:09:07 PM

I think this is a good idea.

In my opinion, having some specialized discussions in a sub-forum is always best rather than posting them in a more general discussion where the thread will be buried almost instantly.

Maybe a suitable candidate would be a child board on the "Development & Technical Discussion" forum? Where would you put it?
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3070

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 05:14:49 PM

Could we have an encryption subforum in which we can discuss things like dm-crypt, LUKS, Veracrypt, different hashing algorithms, different encryption algorithms (simple, cascaded...), plausible deniability, PGP... and other schemes, something which I find to be an interesting topic and is somewhat related to Bitcoin but sometimes too meta to post in the development section of Bitcoin?

For example I wanted to talk about encryption algos here and plausible deniability to protect against IRL thieves but this thread got pushed into off-topic which I think it's unfair, now in the off-topic section it will get buried with other unrelated threads.

The idea would be to have a section similar to the one in wilderssecurity forum but in here to talk with other Bitcoin fellows, I think good topics could arise and would bring more traffic to the site too.

Probably not enough traffic for a dedicated  forum.   Just post it in "Serious Discussion".  Smiley

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Cobalt9317
Copper Member

Activity: 434
Merit: 278

Offering Escrow 0.5 % fee

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 05:22:22 PM

O.P I will follow you in serious discussion, this topic is of great importance to me as I'm practicing encryption for a while now.
and if you do so post a thread in a serious discussion we can talk about one encryption at a time to expand our knowledge in encryption.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 05:33:21 PM

Probably not enough traffic for a dedicated  forum.   Just post it in "Serious Discussion".  Smiley

Actually Ivory Tower might be even better. The moderation should be stricter, and the posting requirements are higher. For some reason, Ivory Tower gets ignored by most members, but I think it has tremendous potential.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
cellard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 06:32:53 PM

Probably not enough traffic for a dedicated  forum.   Just post it in "Serious Discussion".  Smiley

Actually Ivory Tower might be even better. The moderation should be stricter, and the posting requirements are higher. For some reason, Ivory Tower gets ignored by most members, but I think it has tremendous potential.

Yeah I forgot it even exists to be honest. But my thread got moved to "off-topic" now.. if there was a encryption subforum, it would have remained there.

I believe it's a nice little niche to have in this forum. Other encryption forums on the internet are pretty dead... even wilderssecurity's encryption sub forum is pretty slow nowadays.. maybe a small community of people interested in this topic could be formed on that subforum. The only active forum I know about encryption is the crypto subreddit, which ironically gets a lot of posts about cryptocurrencies since it became popular. In any case Reddit sucks and I prefer the classic forum format.

I believe it has potential. For instance a ton of people post about PGP in the Meta section of the forum in order to prove their identities if they lose their accounts. Also many are interested in encrypting their computers.

At least I hope that mods can move my thread in Serious Discussions to get some relevant replies.
Cobalt9317
Copper Member

Activity: 434
Merit: 278

Offering Escrow 0.5 % fee

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 06:35:47 PM

Still O.P to decide however that section can give potential offspring to the said topic especially if we talk about rubberhose

P.S @O.P just add one thread and start talking one encryption you really knew in depth details for a while so I can participate.
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 06:41:15 PM

Guys, this whole forum talks about crypto-currencies and encryption is a big part of any currency be it bitcoin or altcoin.

I still think a sub-forum would be interesting to have - maybe we can learn new stuff there.

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 06:46:19 PM

~
Yeah I forgot it even exists to be honest. But my thread got moved to "off-topic" now.. if there was a encryption subforum, it would have remained there.
Move the thread to serious discussion. It can probably belong better there anyway and stop people spamming on it. Off-Topic is probably their go to response for a thread that doesn't match exactly the bitcoin/altcoin discussion topics.

I believe it's a nice little niche to have in this forum. Other encryption forums on the internet are pretty dead... even wilderssecurity's encryption sub forum is pretty slow nowadays.. maybe a small community of people interested in this topic could be formed on that subforum. The only active forum I know about encryption is the crypto subreddit, which ironically gets a lot of posts about cryptocurrencies since it became popular. In any case Reddit sucks and I prefer the classic forum format.

I would really like an encryption sub-forum here. I am really interested in a large amount of cryptography information.
Also, it would be interesting to measure the complexity and security of different coins from that sub-forum and also to determine if there are any hashing algorithms that exists (or the blueprints of stuff) that can withstand the heighest amount of bute forcing - if something could be quantum proof or how long it could be until a collision would be found somewhere in the message digests that get produced.

I'd at least say it could be a board in the altcoin section (maybe it could help with some of the spam there if users click on it accidently and learn something when they are new to this forum rather than finding a link from google and going straight to a bounty/giveaway thread here) and then they could gain an interest in Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies as a whole.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 06:50:23 PM

@cellard

Can you move it to the Ivory Tower yourself? You've got enough rank to do it.

If not, then start another thread, and link to the original one to avoid being accused of double posting. Smiley

You only need a couple of other posters to follow you to establish it.

The other idea is to encode the thread, and challenge people to decode it. I bet you'd get a load of people taking up the challenge.

You really need it in Ivory Tower to keep the junior spammers out.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
cellard (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 11:56:39 PM

I think this is a good idea.

In my opinion, having some specialized discussions in a sub-forum is always best rather than posting them in a more general discussion where the thread will be buried almost instantly.

Maybe a suitable candidate would be a child board on the "Development & Technical Discussion" forum? Where would you put it?

The "Development & Technical Discussion" is a subforum of the "Bitcoin" section, so as far as I know, all threads on that section should be Bitcoin related (even if lately I see altcoin stuff on there too.. probably admins still need to move many of these threads into the altcoin section)

It would need to be inside "Other" I guess.

@cellard

Can you move it to the Ivory Tower yourself? You've got enough rank to do it.

If not, then start another thread, and link to the original one to avoid being accused of double posting. Smiley

You only need a couple of other posters to follow you to establish it.

The other idea is to encode the thread, and challenge people to decode it. I bet you'd get a load of people taking up the challenge.

You really need it in Ivory Tower to keep the junior spammers out.

I didn't knew that, I will need to look into it because I don't know how to do it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: