Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:34:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Offset Bitcoin — Just $8.5 Million Could Make Bitcoin Carbon Neutral — Join Us  (Read 158 times)
Jurgen (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 08:18:13 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2018, 05:45:24 PM by Jurgen
Merited by eternalgloom (2)

Offset Bitcoin is an open, collaborative project with a single mission: to neutralize and reverse the negative environmental impact of the Bitcoin network.

Initially, this is to be accomplished by offsetting (i.e. counteracting) the network's annual carbon (CO₂) emissions through donations to the world's most effective organization(s) working on climate change mitigation.

Ultimately, the goal is to lock in a far greater amount of CO₂ than the amount released by the Bitcoin network, so that its overall impact shifts from negative to positive. It is our hope that Bitcoin will one day become a sustainable and climate-saving network.

The Bitcoin network currently has an estimated annual carbon footprint of approximately 27,000 kt (kilotons of CO₂). The most cost-effective climate change charity can protect one acre (0.004 km²) of rainforest for approximately $85, which locks in 270 tons of CO₂. Therefore, offsetting the network's annual output of 27,000,000 tons would require 27,000,000 / 270 = 100,000 acres (405 km²) of protected rainforest. This would cost 100,000 * $85 = $8.5 million

Here are a few statistics* that demonstrate why this goal is absolutely attainable:

*Please note that the numbers provided above are estimates and subject to change based on market fluctuations and further research.

Step 1: Offset the Bitcoin network through donations to the world's most effective organization(s) working on climate change mitigation.

To ensure that the Offset Bitcoin project has the greatest possible impact, it is important that all donations go directly to the most effective climate change organization(s). Thanks to Effective Altruism, a research field that uses high-quality evidence and careful reasoning to determine the most effective ways to do good, the most effective climate change organization has already been identified. That organization is Cool Earth.

CoolEarth is a non-profit that works alongside rainforest communities to combat deforestation and climate change, protect ecosystems, and provide employment for local people.

"We considered more than one hundred organizations that claim to reduce greenhouse gas emissions with donations and tried to figure out which ones most cost-effectively prevent the release of one metric ton of carbon dioxide equivalent. The charity we ultimately decided was best is called Cool Earth."

— William MacAskill

Co-founder and President of the Centre for Effective Altruism (CEA) and an Associate Professor in Philosophy at Oxford University

"Helping Cool Earth to halt tropical deforestation makes a real difference. Perhaps the biggest difference we will make in our whole lives."

— Sir David Attenborough

Broadcaster, Writer, and Naturalist known for his innovative educational television programs such as the BBC's Planet Earth and Life series

At this time, Cool Earth does not accept cryptocurrency donations. We are currently in the process of scheduling a meeting with Cool Earth, so that we can convince them to start doing so. We expect this initial meeting to take place within the next two weeks.

Step 2: Devise, propose and foster other initiatives that help turn Bitcoin into a sustainable and climate-saving network.

This step represents a long-term, multifaceted process that will require a lot of community input and collaboration, as well as input from experts in various disciplines. We will particularly require insights into the areas of climate change mitigation, energy production and consumption, decentralized network infrastructures, and decentralized application development. Eventually, we hope to be able to put together a global think tank that can establish a clear path as we move forward in our endeavor. If you believe you know someone who could help make Offset Bitcoin a success, please do share this project with them.

1. Express your support by copying and posting the following message in this thread:

I want to make a cryptocurrency donation to Cool Earth.

What does this do? By demonstrating that you are willing to make a cryptocurrency donation to Cool Earth, you strengthen our argument when we speak to Cool Earth about the benefits of accepting cryptocurrencies. With each individual supporter, we increase our chance of success.

===   UPDATE   ===

We are very excited to announce that the initial meeting with Cool Earth was a huge success! Cool Earth has decided to start accepting Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency donations, making it the first major climate change charity to do so and, importantly, the most effective one. Furthermore, the organization's director and fundraising officer have shown strong interest in the Offset Bitcoin project.

Now that Cool Earth has decided to accept crypto donations, it's time to start promoting Offset Bitcoin on a much larger scale. We will soon find out whether Cool Earth will be directly involved with the project and will start promoting it within its existing network. Either way, we will need all the help we can get to promote the project throughout the crypto space. Please have a look at the various ways in which you can help:

2.   Share your thoughts, skills, resources, contacts or anything that you think may be beneficial to this project. Here are several things that you can do:

• Share your ideas/insights and your opinions/criticisms of this project (in a constructive manner, please)
  • Tell other people about Offset Bitcoin and follow the project on social media (links will be added soon)
  • Wear the Offset Bitcoin forum avatar and/or signature (see below)
  • Translate this thread into your language and post it in your local Bitcointalk section
  • Write about Offset Bitcoin on your blog or on other websites/platforms
  • Design materials for the project's website and its other outreach channels

Offset Bitcoin avatar (v. 1):

3.   Donate in FIAT currency

Despite the fact that Cool Earth does not yet accept crypto donations, they do accept credit card donations. Yes, we understand that you don't like banks or credit cards and neither do we, but a credit card donation is of course better than no donation at all, it still supports the cause.

To make your donation, please use the Offset Bitcoin fundraising page on coolearth.org:

We would like to preemptively extend our sincere gratitude to everyone's insights, donations, and other contributions. We believe that Bitcoin was created for the betterment of humanity and, by extension, the protection of our natural habitat and resources. With this incredible invention, we can finally take environmental protection back into our own hands. Let us act now, together.

Bitcoin network energy consumption:

Bitcoin Energy Consumption Index by Digiconomist
Global Cryptocurrency Benchmarking Study by the Cambridge Center for Alternative Finance

At this time, information on this is scarce and varies significantly between different sources. To improve our decision making, additional research will be required.

Cool Earth:

Official website
Annual Report
Offset Bitcoin fundraising page

As mentioned above, Cool Earth was identified as the most effective climate change charity through careful analysis conducted by experts in the field of philanthropy. Click here to read the report published by the Effective Altruism organization Giving What We Can.

Disclaimer:

We are not associated with Cool Earth or any other organizations that we may establish relationships with in the future. We are independently trying to raise funds for Cool Earth. As explained above, all of the funds we intend to raise will go directly to Cool Earth. Those contributing to the Offset Bitcoin project do so on a voluntary basis. None of the participants will receive any financial compensation for their efforts.

Thank you Jurgen for publishing this thread on our behalf.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OffsetBitcoin

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 08:18:41 PM

Reserved.
OffsetBitcoin

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 08:44:52 PM
Last edit: March 16, 2018, 09:04:44 PM by OffsetBitcoin

OffsetBitcoin

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 12:24:23 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2018, 04:04:25 PM by OffsetBitcoin

The initial meeting with Cool Earth has been scheduled on Thursday the 22nd of March at 2 PM (GMT).
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2018, 12:39:13 PM

Very interesting project, I hope you will succeed in convincing Cool Earth to start accepting Bitcoin donations.
I'm tempted to write an article about this project on Steemit, but I'm not sure if it would have that big of an impact if I'm being completely honest.

The numbers you've presented do seem very attainable, I hope this gets enough support in the long run!

OffsetBitcoin

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 01:10:30 PM

Very interesting project, I hope you will succeed in convincing Cool Earth to start accepting Bitcoin donations.
I'm tempted to write an article about this project on Steemit, but I'm not sure if it would have that big of an impact if I'm being completely honest.

The numbers you've presented do seem very attainable, I hope this gets enough support in the long run!

Thank you very much for your kind words and for expressing your support. It would be phenomenal if you would publish an article on steemit. No impact is too small.
OffsetBitcoin

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 04:04:12 PM

We are delighted to share that the initial meeting with Cool Earth was a huge success! Cool Earth has decided to start accepting Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency donations, making it the first major climate change charity to do so and, importantly, the most effective one. Furthermore, the organization's director and fundraising officer have shown strong interest in the Offset Bitcoin project. A secondary meeting will be scheduled soon.
5ensei

Activity: 728
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 05:16:20 PM

It's a good cause to try and reduce the carbon footprint of bitcoin mining. There is a lot of negativity about the waste of electricity just to crunch some numbers and in many cases use more electricity to cool them down. Some are using renewable fuel which is more environmentally friendly and also cheaper in some cases like biofuel.

Telegram ❒◀           █▆▅▃▂    GoWithMi - Mapping the World on Blockchain    ▂▃▅▆█        Whitepaper❒◀
             Twitter❒◀               The world's first complete decentralized location-based services infrastructure            Facebook❒◀
OffsetBitcoin

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 01:11:45 AM

It's a good cause to try and reduce the carbon footprint of bitcoin mining. There is a lot of negativity about the waste of electricity just to crunch some numbers and in many cases use more electricity to cool them down. Some are using renewable fuel which is more environmentally friendly and also cheaper in some cases like biofuel.

Thank you for your insight. We are actively looking into ways to create incentives for Bitcoin miners to use renewable and sustainable energy sources.
OffsetBitcoin

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 01:30:21 AM

Bitcoin Magazine article about sustainable Bitcoin mining:

Eco-Friendly Bitcoin Mining Can Reduce Carbon Footprints (Yes, Really)

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/eco-friendly-bitcoin-mining-can-reduce-carbon-footprints-yes-really/
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2018, 10:03:07 AM
Last edit: March 23, 2018, 10:19:08 AM by eternalgloom

That's great to hear that you were successful in convincing Cool Earth to start accepting Bitcoin donations!
Do you have any idea when it'll be implemented?

I've already sent this in pm to you, but I will go ahead and write that article for you ;-)

Oh yeah, I'd like to ask for your permission to use some of the images in your OP in my blog post, as well as some of the data you've provided.

OffsetBitcoin

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 11:33:52 AM
Last edit: March 28, 2018, 09:56:42 AM by OffsetBitcoin

That's great to hear that you were successful in convincing Cool Earth to start accepting Bitcoin donations!
Do you have any idea when it'll be implemented?

I've already sent this in pm to you, but I will go ahead and write that article for you ;-)

Oh yeah, I'd like to ask for your permission to use some of the images in your OP in my blog post, as well as some of the data you've provided.

We've just responded to your PM but wanted to thank you again publicly for publishing the very first article on Offset Bitcoin, excellent work.
OffsetBitcoin

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 11:47:59 AM
Last edit: March 28, 2018, 09:56:53 AM by OffsetBitcoin

Thank you Daan for publishing the article Offset Bitcoin: A Project Designed to Make Bitcoin Carbon Neutral on Steemit.

Thank you Ethan Smith for mentioning the Offset Bitcoin project in Episode 15 of The STEEM Engine Express podcast on Steemit and YouTube.

We greatly appreciate your efforts.
dragoz11

Activity: 420
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 12:16:54 PM

this is what the industry needs and if you can have success with this project I believe most concerns about electricity and environment would be shut off leaving no room for excuses.
OffsetBitcoin

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 09:20:22 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2018, 09:44:51 AM by OffsetBitcoin

this is what the industry needs and if you can have success with this project I believe most concerns about electricity and environment would be shut off leaving no room for excuses.

Thank you for your comment. We agree and believe that turning Bitcoin's environmental impact from negative to positive will require both preventive and reactive approaches. The preventive approach seeks to reduce the network's energy consumption and CO₂ emissions by making mining more sustainable, for example (there are already numerous projects working on this), whereas the reactive approach seeks to offset (i.e. counteract) the network's current, past and future CO₂ emissions by raising funds for effective climate change charities and possibly convincing exchanges, wallets, payment processors, etc. to give their users the option to automatically make a donation with each transaction. As far as we're aware, Offset Bitcoin is currently the only project with a reactive approach to Bitcoin's energy problem.
OffsetBitcoin

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 11:38:39 AM
Last edit: March 26, 2018, 08:47:48 PM by OffsetBitcoin

A second meeting with Cool Earth has been scheduled on Monday the 26th of March at 3:30 PM (GMT).
OffsetBitcoin

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 08:43:57 PM

We had another very successful meeting with Cool Earth today and made some excellent progress. After first reviewing current legislation on cryptocurrency donations within the UK (which we know is favorable), Cool Earth intends to start accepting Bitcoin (and other cryptocurrency donations) as soon as possible. The organization has again shown strong interest in the Offset Bitcoin project and will decide on the extent of its direct involvement during a general meeting on Wednesday, March 28th.
OffsetBitcoin

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 09:58:25 AM

Good news! Cool Earth will be setting up its very first wallet today.
OffsetBitcoin

View Profile
April 01, 2018, 03:46:01 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2018, 04:03:39 PM by OffsetBitcoin

The Offset Bitcoin website is now online:

https://offsetbitcoin.org/

OffsetBitcoin

View Profile