Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:14:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC stolen from my wallet  (Read 1618 times)
Grogorash (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 02:15:59 PM

Hello guys.

Last night from my BTC address were stolen several coins. I had term with an user here to buy some LTC. The only thing he wanted was to check I have enough BTC to buy his LTC. So I sent 0.01 BTC to his address to show him I have the amount.Several minutes later I watched  outgoing transaction with all my coins from my wallet to the same address I sent 0.01.
My wallet were encrypted!
I checked his address this morning, the coins are still there.
I guess there is no way to recover them, just wanted to protect other users here. Be aware, that was something I have never heard.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2013, 02:21:37 PM

Computers are not easily securable.
I am looking forward to this:
http://www.bitcointrezor.com/faq/

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
fishy

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

What do you call a fish with no eyes? A Fsh!

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 02:22:51 PM

Yes, made by Slush, the biggest pool's owner.

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
Win88.me ❖ Fair, Trusted Online BTC Gambling ❖
/   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
Magazine

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 03:04:36 PM

Your computer is compromised for sure.
Grogorash (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 03:22:32 PM

It's already done! I changed HDD!
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 04:22:01 PM

change harddrive. new wallet as the old one is compromised and either format the old harddrive with a high secure delete software or send it to someone who can have a look at it and maybe maybe track the software that got your coins. you wont get them back byr ir might help others

Thursday

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 05:58:42 PM

Is that a pro or a con?

1AXBRFK5a8dP7z8T3gb3hvUjm2F6KYFmgS
Kruncha

Activity: 644

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 06:59:19 PM

Is that a pro or a con?

Slush was the guy who came up with the concept of pooled mining and created the first ever pool - I think that's what he meant by biggest.

He's a bit of a living legend, with the attacks on his pool that he's thwarted, and so on.

K.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 07:08:38 PM

Hello guys.

Last night from my BTC address were stolen several coins. I had term with an user here to buy some LTC. The only thing he wanted was to check I have enough BTC to buy his LTC. So I sent 0.01 BTC to his address to show him I have the amount.Several minutes later I watched  outgoing transaction with all my coins from my wallet to the same address I sent 0.01.
My wallet were encrypted!
I checked his address this morning, the coins are still there.
I guess there is no way to recover them, just wanted to protect other users here. Be aware, that was something I have never heard.
How was your wallet generated? Bitcoin client fresh install wallet, imported key or other client?
Valerian77

Activity: 437
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 07:28:27 PM

One I made a localbitcoin deal. The seller did not have any device with him. So I gave him my smartphone to execute the order (first time I made a localbitcoin deal). He logged into his account and I was sitting at his side. The deal went OK. But in the evening I saw many tries on my account to open the account - luckily unsuccessful.

My lesson is never to give away any unlocked hardware anymore. And I will not type in any passwords with anybody looking on my fingers for sure.

@Grogorash
You write your wallet was encrypted. I conclude that you use Bitcoin-QT with a local encrypted wallet.dat. To transfer the Bitcoins from your wallet to a new address the thief must have had access to the wallet.dat file and to the password. Maybe was able to inject some kind of trojan software into your system ?

Do you remember the strength of your wallet password. Which kind of security software do you use on your computer to prevent intruder, viruses and malware ? Firewall, virus detector, malware protection, coockie blocker ...

I think it would be important for all of us to analyse this case for fraud prevention in the future.
heatgsm

Activity: 308

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 08:06:54 PM

Goodbye coins  Smiley ... just if you have a chance, go to him and whoop his ass
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 08:40:05 PM

If you don't mind, make the information about the thief's address public (and your address). Also describe exactly what you did to transfer the money.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
Kruncha

Activity: 644

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 08:50:36 PM

If you don't mind, make the information about the thief's address public (and your address). Also describe exactly what you did to transfer the money.

+1

I was just thinking the same thing.

K.
Moebius327

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 10:39:12 PM

The only thing he wanted was to check I have enough BTC to buy his LTC. So I sent 0.01 BTC to his address to show him I have the amount.

Did he ever had access to you computer? Did you send the 0.01 BTC from his computer? I would suggest to provide more information and post in Technical Support.
frobley

Activity: 708
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 12:34:59 PM

"I had term with an user here to buy some LTC",
How he did this I suspect is in the above statement.
Valerian77

Activity: 437
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:23:59 PM

"I had term with an user here to buy some LTC",
How he did this I suspect is in the above statement.

Now we can start speculating what he really did.

Second question is why it is necessary to show someone his Bitcoin amount with a small transaction - at that point I would have been mistrustful.
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 04:37:21 PM

Don't tell us the user's name or anything.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: