Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:40:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining behind a firewall  (Read 5519 times)
Cryptoman (OP)

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 05:23:23 PM

I have a cluster of miners that is behind a firewall (no incoming 8332/8333).  I have no control over the routing.  Currently, I am running bitcoind on each mining machine, and each one establishes 8 connections.  Are these connection IPs hard-coded into the source?  Anyway, I also have another, remote machine which doesn't mine but which is is running bitcoind and has no firewall restrictions.  

Am I limiting my ability to acquire new transactions in a timely manner by having these miners behind a firewall?  I tried having the miners get work from my remote bitcoind server, but bitcoind seems to hang after a few hours.  Does it make sense to have bitcoind running on each miner or on just one miner?  Should I include my remote bitcoind server on the list of nodes using addnode?  Thanks for any insight/suggestions.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 05:47:21 PM

It doesn't make a big difference. Accepting inbound connections is good for the health of the network, beyond that it won't affect BitCoins operation.
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 05:48:36 PM

More connections is nice but the standard 8 should be fine for your purposes. The 8 connections come from an IRC room where clients join and connect to 8 random people (or so my understanding is).

So no, you should be fine. Good luck mining!
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 07:29:16 PM
Last edit: February 03, 2011, 10:28:13 PM by theymos

Are these connection IPs hard-coded into the source?

No. You connect to an IRC channel to get a list of all active Bitcoin peers. Then you choose 8 at random (basically). You will also be listed on that channel, though peers won't be able to connect to you from the outside.

I recommend running the miners with -connect=<IP of networked bitcoind>. This connects only to the specified IP, and it prevents you from being listed on IRC. Then you are well-connected, but you avoid wasting network resources.

Not being well-connected is only a minor disadvantage. You can replicate some of the advantage by running the miners with -maxconnections=20, which will increase the number of outgoing connections to the specified amount. You might also do -maxconnections=4 and -noirc to decrease the number and stay off IRC (you'll bootstrap from your network node), and then use addnode to connect to your networked bitcoind: this decreases network load without relying completely on your networked computer.

(Edit: I just discovered that maxconnections can't increase the number of connections from 8, as I always assumed.)

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Cryptoman (OP)

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 09:42:57 PM

Quote from: theymos
You might also do -maxconnections=4 and -noirc to decrease the number and stay off IRC (you'll bootstrap from your network node), and then use addnode to connect to your networked bitcoind: this decreases network load without relying completely on your networked computer.

This sounds like the best solution.  Thanks.

Get yourself a VPN for 10$/month or so and bingo, no problem with firewall. But make sure that VPN you get works over your firewall, if not look for so called SSL VPN i.e. those working on port 443.

I have a couple of routers that I was going to put Tomato VPN on and give this a try.  I don't like the idea of having a single point of failure though.  Do commercial VPN providers have multiple access points spread across the internet?

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: