Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:13:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please stop using "ROI" when you mean Capital Recovery. it makes you sound dumb.  (Read 1104 times)
BitBustah

Activity: 1218
Merit: 534

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 05:44:13 PM

He is President of the Forum for the day.

+ 5 merit for you

I had a college exam today. I think I failed it. This topic is making me smile again.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dnssandbox

Activity: 57
Merit: 5

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 05:45:40 PM
Merited by BitBustah (5)

No, trying to be an internet professor is dumb.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1991180.0

I love Willy Wonka... but dismissing it as not important makes you ignorant.

you did a good job in explaining the differences between CR and ROI, maybe you should have stopped there.

However, you call people dumb and ignorant for using ROI in place of CR (which is just slang), and then you use "hodling" which is just slang for holding.

so your slang doesn't make you sound dumb but others using slang makes them sound dumb?

Maybe.. it is time to get off your soap box..
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 05:45:58 PM

You can achieve a greater than 100% CR.  My examples were to illustrate that you can have a negative ROI.  What I didn't give an example on, is that it's impossible to have a negative CR.  Obviously, the goal of many people is to achieve a minimum of 100% CR.  What I take offense on is people claiming they need 100% ROI to break even... when that would actually doubling their money.  What they meant was they are trying to achieve a ZERO ROI... which is dumb... it even sounds dumb when you say it out loud.

Personally, I like what you write above, educative.
A bit thing that bothers me only the title, it's too provocative and rough I think. Probably the title should be softer.  Wink
puwaha (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 294

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 05:51:12 PM

Anyway, putting aside the playfulness.. Kinda weird that you get fed up by people using the wrong terms/words for something.
If I were to react like that to every mistake/error I see IRL or online.. It would make me sour in the end.

It goes beyond just people using the wrong terms, I think.  Words and concepts change over time, but that makes it harder to communicate with each other if we allow people to just do it wrong on purpose and not care.  It's probably too late to just be the little boy sticking his finger in the dyke over the meaning of "ROI"... but it still has to be done.  It's the same kind of attitude I see online or IRL where people are apathetic and non-principled.  Don't get me started on emojis... like I said above in another reply... I may just be getting old and cranky.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 05:51:33 PM

I don't think anyone is dumb, because they never knew the difference.  There was a time when I didn't know the difference.  

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
puwaha (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 05:53:01 PM

I'll continue to use ROI

And it's your free-speech right to look dumb when you do.  I hope you don't take offense to my characterization.

Man, why this little thing botters you?
This term ROI is used a lot and will not change...

In my diatribe, I mention that I realize that ROI has become "miner slang" now... but it's still wrong.  We have hundreds of new miners show up every day, and we are teaching them the incorrect terminology.

Whats next, are you going to tell HODLers they are spelling HOLD wrong?  Get the hell off the internet if you can't handle the stupid shit here in.

There's a difference between slang or memes used for levity versus using a well-defined term like ROI in the wrong context.  And, no thank you, I'll stay right here on the internet because stupid shit exists here and we are free to talk about it.
BitBustah

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 05:54:57 PM

Anyway, putting aside the playfulness.. Kinda weird that you get fed up by people using the wrong terms/words for something.
If I were to react like that to every mistake/error I see IRL or online.. It would make me sour in the end.

It goes beyond just people using the wrong terms, I think.  Words and concepts change over time, but that makes it harder to communicate with each other if we allow people to just do it wrong on purpose and not care.  It's probably too late to just be the little boy sticking his finger in the dyke over the meaning of "ROI"... but it still has to be done.  It's the same kind of attitude I see online or IRL where people are apathetic and non-principled.  Don't get me started on emojis... like I said above in another reply... I may just be getting old and cranky.

Whenever someone is saying ROI, you do know what they actually mean, right? Just let it be...
puwaha (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 05:55:03 PM

No, trying to be an internet professor is dumb.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1991180.0

I love Willy Wonka... but dismissing it as not important makes you ignorant.

you did a good job in explaining the differences between CR and ROI, maybe you should have stopped there.

However, you call people dumb and ignorant for using ROI in place of CR (which is just slang), and then you use "hodling" which is just slang for holding.

so your slang doesn't make you sound dumb but others using slang makes them sound dumb?

Maybe.. it is time to get off your soap box..

Maybe you didn't notice those little things called quotation marks around the phrase where I mentioned "hodling"... those are meant to be other people's words... not mine.
BitBustah

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 05:56:03 PM

I don't think anyone is dumb, because they never knew the difference.  There was a time when I didn't know the difference.  

True... I knew it was "wrong", and yet I kept (and still will be) using it.
gotminer

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 05:57:42 PM

Whenever someone is saying ROI, you do know what they actually mean, right? Just let it be...

Of course everyone knows what they mean.  I just don't like getting into the habit of sounding like I don't know what I'm talking about, especially if I'm in front of people that I may hope to do business with in the future. 

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
puwaha (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 05:57:51 PM

You can achieve a greater than 100% CR.  My examples were to illustrate that you can have a negative ROI.  What I didn't give an example on, is that it's impossible to have a negative CR.  Obviously, the goal of many people is to achieve a minimum of 100% CR.  What I take offense on is people claiming they need 100% ROI to break even... when that would actually doubling their money.  What they meant was they are trying to achieve a ZERO ROI... which is dumb... it even sounds dumb when you say it out loud.

Personally, I like what you write above, educative.
A bit thing that bothers me only the title, it's too provocative and rough I think. Probably the title should be softer.  Wink

It was meant to be provocative to illicit response, yes.  Look at the responses I've gotten so far.  People are just as bitter as me.  It's ok though, while my soapbox rant is correct, I know people have their own opinions.  I hope I brought a little fun back to this forum today.
puwaha (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 05:59:28 PM

I may know what they were trying to convey... but do they know?
BitBustah

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 06:01:11 PM

Of course everyone knows what they mean.  I just don't like getting into the habit of sounding like I don't know what I'm talking about, especially if I'm in front of people that I may hope to do business with in the future. 

If you are so superficial that you won't do business with people because they -accidently or purposefully- use wrong words.... You might lose more than you gain. So superficial.
puwaha (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 06:02:04 PM

True... I knew it was "wrong", and yet I kept (and still will be) using it.

Accepted terms != correct terms
gotminer

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 06:03:19 PM

If you are so superficial that you won't do business with people because they -accidently or purposefully- use wrong words.... You might lose more than you gain. So superficial.

I never said I was.  Lol.  Basically I care whether or not I sound like I know what I'm talking about.

puwaha (OP)

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 06:03:26 PM

If I give someone a job interview and they don't know the terminology or meaning of the words they are saying, then they are not going to get the job.
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 06:05:11 PM

I hope I brought a little fun back to this forum today.

You made BitBustah back to smile after failed in an exam today, you did good.  Grin
P00P135

Activity: 1123
Merit: 136

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 06:07:18 PM
Merited by BitBustah (5)

If I give someone a job interview and they don't know the terminology or meaning of the words they are saying, then they are not going to get the job.

Well its a good thing you don't handle job interviews and you are stuck on these forums trying to correct wrongs that can't be corrected.
BitBustah

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 06:09:01 PM

Job interview > Real life > Needed for income (as in "money to pay for food, shelter, electricity, family, ...") > VERY IMPORTANT for most of us..

Bitcoin Forum > Online life > Just for fun > Most of us can still have a decent life without it.. Smiley

You guys know what I mean.
BitBustah

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 06:09:49 PM
Merited by P00P135 (5)

Well its a good thing you don't handle job interviews and you are stuck on these forums trying to correct wrongs that can't be corrected.

Another +5 merit. You are on fire today. Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: