Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 12:05:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SteamOS - Oh fucking god no  (Read 2227 times)
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 01:00:30 PM

So I just stumbled onto this hideous looking SteamOS thing..... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

THE END IS NIGH! NOW WE WILL BE FORCED TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET IN ORDER TO RUN OPERATING SYSTEMS! WE'LL HAVE TO CALL TECH SUPPORT IN ORDER TO ACTIVATE EVERY TIME WE RE-INSTALL AND GAMES WILL STILL HAVE TO BE ACTIVATED ON TOP OF THAT! REPENT DRM LOVERS! REPENT!

But seriously this OS fucking terrifies me, I promise you, Microsoft, Sony and Electronic Arts will all be doing the exact same thing soon and they'll try to shut down their previous projects and attack any open source versions. By the way, I can guarantee you that the first thing Valve will do is launch Half Life 3 on this shitty OS in order to try and force players to get it installed on their PC and that's when they'll have you, all PC games are going to be put onto this and they're going to take over your PCs so you can't use Bittorrent or anything they don't approve of anymore.

*panics*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Z8ZPcuGeU
exogan

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:04:48 PM

I'm pretty sure even if your scenario happens, there will always be talented people wishing to change things, or at least hack them.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 01:09:53 PM

Yeah, mind you, Linux is open source so maybe I should take a proper look at it, it doesn't seem to be used for gaming very much though, unless there's a whole ton of Linux based games I don't know about of course.
exogan

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:13:27 PM

Yeah, mind you, Linux is open source so maybe I should take a proper look at it, it doesn't seem to be used for gaming very much though, unless there's a whole ton of Linux based games I don't know about of course.

I think you'll be surprised of how many games are currently being developed for Linux too, Steam has some pretty cool Linux games.
philips

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:17:43 PM

You guys are overreacting...or joking, I cant tell the difference Smiley
Personally, I welcome this thing.

You don't like it, don't use it.
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 03:25:58 PM

It will be a great help to some people and you should respect that this is going to take a lot of time and some user input when it is launched. Of course it may not look great to begin with but with some suggestions from the userbase it could turn into something great. Then it comes down to don't like it don't use it.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 05:02:13 PM

If you like companies trying to take over your computer and dictate what you can and can't do on it then by all means enjoy yourselves, I will however make every effort to fight something like this no matter what.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 05:21:39 PM

Why do people like you make up such retarded hypotheticals that are the complete opposite of what I'm saying? In your scenario it would be more like I purchase the coke and somehow it attaches itself to the refrigerator and destroys any other carbonated drinks it sees and then I have to call the tech support number on the label in order to have it removed which will of course end up destroying the refrigerator forcing me to get a new one and deciding for me that I will never buy coke again.

It's stupid, they're committing brand suicide by doing this kind of thing and if you're okay with this kind of thing you're stupid and have no standards.
philips

Activity: 700

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 05:39:01 PM

darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 05:55:27 PM

There's nothing stopping you from installing it on a separate partition or even virtual machine where it has no access to anything outside its own little world.  For that matter, there's nothing stopping you from NOT INSTALLING IT AT ALL.  It's not like it's going to be going around forcibly installing itself on your PC.

Frankly, the SteamOS development has a lot more to do with Microsoft's shitty OS making it virtually impossible to develop on their platform (Windows 8 ), making it necessary for anyone who wants to do any solid game programming to switch to their own platform.  I think it's actually a welcome development for the gaming world, which is already dominated by console games in which the OS is absolutely proprietary.  An OS at least provides some room for third party development.

As for DRM in especially online gaming, that's a battle lost long ago.  Even if it can't be enforced at the PC level, it can be enforced at the server level, and that has been the case for years.

Finally, again, if you don't want it, don't install it!  There are plenty of people who don't have Steam itself and never will for precisely that reason, and will avoid SteamOS just like they avoided Steam.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 06:39:26 PM

Not sure why it took them so long, imho steams best feature is its similarity to linux package management, but it's too little too late. The days of platform monopolies are over, if they want to own the games market then a compatibility layer to allow any game to run on any platform with suitable hardware seamless to the end user is the best option. Android will be a more popular gaming platform than this.

For games you need as close to direct access to the hardware as you can get.  The more compatibility layers you have to deal with, the further you are away from that ideal, and the less cutting edge your games will be.
Kokomoka

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 11:15:19 PM

What are you afraid steam is going to do to you?

They can't force you to use the OS.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 11:26:20 PM

I think it's kinda interesting but it seems better for people who want a console experience, I'm more of a PC guy.

maursader

Activity: 509
Merit: 250

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 04:00:12 AM

To be honest, I am excited to try out the new OS. Steam games are cheap anyway, and they cater to a market that has the means of using their software right? If you can make a computer that is meant to stream your games, that's a neat concept, supposedly this is supposed to be able to run on a raspberry pi. It's cheap, and hey, why the hell not? If you have the means to support an "always on" connection for such an OS, then there's no need to worry about it. If you can't.. well... continue using steam on windows, mac or linux then, it's still good!
evansearle42

Activity: 366

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 04:38:34 AM

Won't happen, people would complain and patched afterwards Smiley
bitcoindigi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 06:17:55 AM

What's the big deal, OP?

SteamOS is just a modified linux, you can do what you want with it. Smiley
Shallow

Activity: 938
Merit: 255

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 06:58:07 AM

Sacrilege against Lord Gaben?!  Huh

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
elektibi75

Activity: 326

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 08:09:04 AM

I am all for new Operating Systems,it makes the old OS creators make something new Cheesy

█ DARFChain █ DARFChain - smart escrow engine, based on proof-of-accounting consensus █....
▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚
• Whitepaper • ANN Thread • Telegram • Facebook • Reddit • Slack • YouTube • VK
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 08:13:44 AM

Sacrilege against Lord Gaben?!  Huh

Fuck Valve fanbois Tongue
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 11:59:03 AM

Oh, the drama is strong in this one.
I think that this is only to make things more beautiful and have a better integration with Steam and the Steam Hardware, nothing special like the Chrome OS.
What I was really thinking is how they will make this SteamOS run Windows Games, since probably 100% of the games on Steam are at least for Windows. Using WINE is not their best option, not a professional one at least.

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: