Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 12:51:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin really any different? Not in the long run.  (Read 6644 times)
MtFox (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:42:56 PM

Consider the dollar.

The dollar is theoretically limited within the subset of United States currency while the concept of national currency itself is only limited by the number of nations on Earth.

Now to bitcoin.

Like the dollar the bitcoins are theoretically limited in supply.  But what if bytecoin comes along, then gigacoin, followed by googlecoin and so fourth? There seems to be no limit on the number of bitcoin imitators possible.

While, like dollars, there might be a limited number of bitcoins within the subset of bitcoin, the concept of bitcoin is unlimited unlike the world’s various national currencies.

Competition will utterly devalue bitcoin unless it is adopted by particular nations  to the exclusion of its competitors, however that is not to say that other nations will not adopt one or more of bitcoin’s competitors to the exclusion of bitcoin .. they most certainly would.

And how is that materially different from our current international system of free floating national currencies?

[Source: http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2013/08/is-bitcoin-really-any-different-not-in.html]
Seccour
Legendary

Activity: 1619
Merit: 1004

Bitcoiner, Crypto-anarchist and Cypherpunk.

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 01:57:18 PM

Bitcoin :

Bitcoin is decentralized.
No or little fees.
Every one can create "free" bitcoins by mining.
Limited (21 Millions)

Dollar :

Centralized.
High fees.
Only bank can create dollar.
No limits (They can print all the money they want)

And for the other crypto. Yeah the concept of bitcoin is unlimited but bitcoin is limited. The concept of dollar is unlimited too. BUT dollar is unlimited.

Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 02:29:28 PM

If you make randomultracoin, can you send those to Bitcoin addresses? Will they appear on other Bitcoin wallets?
(Hint: no)

But those freshly printed dollars are like all other dollars and can be used as such.
skull88

Activity: 683
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 03:50:09 PM

If they print more euro's the amount of dollars isn't increasing.
So more cryptocurrencies doesn't mean more bitcoins, I can't send my Litecoins to my Bitcoin wallet.  Wink

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
Varicon

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 04:12:02 PM

Bitcoin is 100% different.  Just because someone could make Shitcoin doesn't make Bitcoin any worse.
BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 04:14:12 PM

I recommend you to read a little more about bitcoin, you will find it completely different Smiley
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 04:19:29 PM

Bitcoin :

Bitcoin is decentralized.
No or little fees.
Every one can create "free" bitcoins by mining.
Limited (21 Millions)

Dollar :

Centralized.
High fees.
Only bank can create dollar.
No limits (They can print all the money they want)

And for the other crypto. Yeah the concept of bitcoin is unlimited but bitcoin is limited. The concept of dollar is unlimited too. BUT dollar is unlimited.

These are good points. Op, you have posted this thread although this question has been asked before and answered before. It's no where near the same as FIAT.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
Inkvor

Activity: 553

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 04:28:55 PM

the most important thing is annomy and unreverse
CtrlAltBernanke420

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 04:37:40 PM

What if other countries began adopting their own crypto, IE PeruCoin, ArgentinaCoin, Canadacoin, The USAGODDAMNICANTPRINTTHISCOININFINITE. Considering bitcoin is traded for paper, and a concern of mine, if the US govt wanted a cryptocoin, why would it not create it, buy it up with them printable dollars, making it worth FAR more than bitcoin currently is. Instead of 2billion market cap in 3.5 years, they get to 100billion marketcap in 1 day.

Making 1 satoshi or bernanke worth ~1 US dollar.
Inkvor

Activity: 553

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 04:39:46 PM

it will one day if gor don stop it
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 05:03:48 PM

Nail it

CtrlAltBernanke420

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 06:15:14 PM

Nail it

As much as the upside on anything is infinite, you will never see infinite, therefore the amount of dollars is limited.

Somehow I am trying to wonder, is there money or wealth that people own that the world has no idea of, IE rothchilds already having trillions of cash in personal accounts/vaults and/or assets.

The last i checked the total size of the money supply was less than 10 trillion. yet we have outstanding debts far far beyond that...
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 06:35:07 PM

The last i checked the total size of the money supply was less than 10 trillion. yet we have outstanding debts far far beyond that...

Good question, might be caused by the interest compound effect of those debt

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 08:32:02 PM

The dollar is theoretically limited
Like the dollar the bitcoins are theoretically limited in supply
While, like dollars, there might be a limited number of bitcoins

WTF??? LOL!?!!!??

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 08:33:26 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_external_debt
Data is a bit old, you can probably double it, now.
Funniest entry is probably Liechtenstein. Grin
Just... Trash the cash... Bitcoins all the way!

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 08:58:29 PM

I've ran out of fingers and toes for how many alternate currencies that have been created. So I stopped counting. These have NOT affected Bitcoin. Bitcoin is different.

Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 11:26:10 PM

These have NOT affected Bitcoin. Bitcoin is different.
I'd say Bitcoin is more... aside than different. But aside, for sure. Wink

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 11:28:00 PM

Lets take Bitcoin...now imagine that it isn't Bitcoin!

btc4ever

Activity: 321

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 11:54:37 PM

And here I thought this thread might actually be something interesting such as future bankers using bitcoin as the basis for fractional reserve bank notes and thus inflating the money supply that way...  which is almost certain to happen btw.   

moral question:  is it fraud when a bank lends out using "redeemable" bank notes more than it is able to cover?

i suppose it would depend on what exactly the bank note says. For example if it says "redeemable for 10 bitcoin so long as the bank has any left but beware we keep a fractional reserve", then does not seems morally wrong as the holder of the note is clearly warned before accepting.    But if it says "redeemable for 10 bitcoin come hell or high water" then that does seem like fraud to me.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 483
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 10:23:43 AM

Ah, now I understand why the dollars have "In god we trust" written on them. That's short for "Only god knows if you will get your value back"... (-:
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: