Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:56:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ounces of Silver to Buy a Median-Priced Home  (Read 2777 times)
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 03, 2011, 09:44:17 PM

Certain asset classes can vary so widely over time.

Article: Take a look at how many ounces of silver have been needed to buy a median-priced home in the US

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sjalq

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2011, 07:55:26 PM

Silver is awesome, doubled in value in the last 15 or so months. Cheesy

Cheesy mine mine mine mine mine mine mine Cheesy
*Image Removed*
18WMxaHsxx6FuvbQbeA33UZud1bnmD7xY3
Binford 6100

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 08:03:11 PM

Silver is awesome, doubled in value in the last 15 or so months. Cheesy

so did bitcoin. i wanted to offer tradeing silver for bitcoin when i came here
4 weeks ago 1 ounce would be 100 btc
now it would be 30 or so.
i will not get rid of silver for that low bitcoint amounts

You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do.
S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2011, 08:19:02 PM

Even if it may disappoint some of you, the forecast for silver is to go DOWN significantly over the next few years.

First to 20 $ in the next 2-3 months
Then to beow 10 $ in the next 2-4 years.

Anonymous

February 14, 2011, 01:54:30 AM

Even if it may disappoint some of you, the forecast for silver is to go DOWN significantly over the next few years.

Reasoning?
nanaimogold

Activity: 661
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 02:37:21 AM

Sounds like "plunge protection team" lies. In the near future, nothing is going to go down against the USD, even dogshit is going up against the USD.

Silver is currently even more undervalued than gold.

Silver might go down against RE, but I doubt it. Might go down against gold, but I doubt that too.

I'll bet you all the silver I own that reality will unfold exactly opposite to this forecast.

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 02:54:14 AM

I am with nanaimogold on this one. If silver soars JPM might go boom too.
Max Kaiser's "buy silver, bankrupt JP Morgan" hasn't shown any sign of materializing, but he sure brought a lot of attention to bitcoin.

Bimmerhead
Legendary

Activity: 1291

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 02:57:41 AM

I agree with S3052.  Silver could fall hard, lower than it did in late 2008, for the same reason as late 2008: people will be selling everything to get their hands on USD, to pay their USD-denominated debts.

On the other hand I've been waiting for it to happen for quite awhile now.  This credit implosion is taking it's sweet time to arrive.
bitcool
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 03:17:51 AM
Last edit: February 14, 2011, 04:51:23 AM by bitcool

people will be selling everything to get their hands on USD, to pay their USD-denominated debts.
who are those "people" anyway? in 2008, it were banks, hedge funds etc who held MBS, CDOs needing to get money.

Now with a suspension of FAS 157(mark-to-market) rule, a Fed determined to bailout anyone that poses systematic risk and with PPT hard at work, the chance of 2008 relapse is slim.
bitcool
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2011, 03:51:55 AM

At the very least Max got me interested in bitcoin. You can blame him for that.  Cool
you meant "thank him for that"?   Wink
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 28, 2011, 04:51:09 AM

Here's an update, this time US housing priced in gold ounces:

The chart measures the average US home price, divided by the annual average ounce price of gold.

The bottom in house prices could take a while to reach yet.

Article:
  http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article18219.html

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 28, 2011, 05:33:59 AM

I agree with S3052.  Silver could fall hard, lower than it did in late 2008, for the same reason as late 2008: people will be selling everything to get their hands on USD, to pay their USD-denominated debts.

On the other hand I've been waiting for it to happen for quite awhile now.  This credit implosion is taking it's sweet time to arrive.

Actually, it's been happening all around us gradually over the past two years.  The budget crises in the many states are a side-effect of this.  Hell, the very recession itself is a side effect.  This is one reason why the value of the USD has been fairly stable despite the near doubling of the M1 monetary base, because as the M2 is collapsing (Monetary base plus credit outstanding) due to defaults and the attitude of austerity the FedReserve has been printing new money at almost the precise pace that credit has been destroyed.  This, of course, cannot continue; as the balancing effects are relatively short term.  As soon as we hit bottom in the recession (which I still doubt we are very near) the velocity of money will increase towards the mean and the long term effects of all that debasement is going to be felt in earnest by the public, and the value of the USD then has only one direction that it can go.  I have no idea when to expect this, and I doubt that anyone else does either.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: