Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:24:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I keep my cryptocurrency safe?  (Read 1364 times)
loginov

Activity: 36
Merit: 14

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 07:52:16 PM

In addition to the methods you mentioned, you can also spread your investments in multiple exchanges to remain safe. In case one exchange is hacked, your investment in other ones will be safe.

You are totally wrong. Never keep your coins on exchange. Exchange is easily hack-able. From my view exchange is very un safe place. So please don't advice any one to hold the coins on exchanges. My kind advice is go for Hardware wallet. It is safe.

Well this is true but if you plan to sell an alt-coin quickly (if the price rises) it's easier to keep them on an exchange and set a sell order than transfer them to a wallet on your computer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
numizmat

Activity: 154
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 04:21:24 AM

There is even crypto exchange new projects addressing these security issues. LCCX is a crypto exchange that will be keeping most of users funds in cold storages and will be fully regulated by the UK' Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) - by doing so it aims to become the world’s most reliable crypto exchange, here is their ICO (till 04/30) description: https://icorating.com/analytics/basic/lccx-basic-review/:
"The project will provide the facility to place 60-75% of client funds offline in cold storage (storing assets on separate offline physical media)."
shinchan123

Activity: 504
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 01:29:23 PM

I think it will  help all the beginners to improve there security in crytocurrencies..............

The safest way to store your airdrops are hardware & cold storage wallets. These wallets store your coins offline, and therefore protect them from being hacked. There are a number of hardware wallets available. We would advise to use the Ledger Wallet Nano S or Trezor.

Not all cryptocurrency can be stored in hardware wallets. We advise you to store your crypto in wallets where you control your private keys. You don't want your free crypto to be stolen!

To avoid scams we have a few general rules:

Never give your private keys! beware of it
    Use 2 Factor Authenticator on your wallets. it safest way to protect
    Be careful downloading wallets of smaller projects. (make sure every thing or double check it)
    Never click on links redirecting to wallets .............. its very dangerous
    Don’t use your main email address to apply for airdrops
  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Well, there are actually many ways to keep one's cryptocurrency safe, and it all lies or mostly the one that plays a big role is the wallet. There are wallets that have amazing features that are really helpful when it comes to making the coins safe and I would definitely suggest to use those kinds of wallets to be more safe.
reypinioco

Activity: 182
Merit: 19

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 08:03:57 PM

Use metamask extension so that your private keys will be protected when you are using dex or decentralized exchanges,never give your keys to anyone or any website,buy hardwallets trezor or ledger would do ,add 2fa with your email and keep your recovery seed and private key in a safe place so that you these hackers wont any good chance of stealing your money.

Read Our WHITEPAPER              (((     BIDIUM     )))           Pre-ICO Active | Join NOW!
Revolutionizing Auction & Freelance Hiring with a Crypto Exchange Powered by Blockchain
███████████ |     FACEBOOK     |       TWITTER       |     TELEGRAM     | ███████████
paiinfo

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 08:56:29 PM

This topic entitled "Trust No One" gives some helpful information on how to keep your cryptocurrency secure : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=33835.0. If you don't want to read through that whole topic, the title is a nice summary of the content.
anobtc

Activity: 1176
Merit: 12

Vietnamese Translator™ https://goo.gl/7inMji

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2018, 05:22:43 PM

If you are trader, you can store your asset in some big exchange (Binance, Bittrex) and don't forget to enable 2FA Authenicator. Else, you want invest and hold your coins, i suggest you buy a Ledger nano (cold wallet) to store your asset, keep Private key in a safe place

Finding a local Moderator and Translator?
View My Portfolio and feel free to contact me if you need! 😉
mayo2u

Activity: 325
Merit: 26

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 02:18:27 PM

For those staying in countries that a nano ledger or hard wallet isn't readily available, the best practise is to be highly security conscious.

I cannot over stress the importance of 2fa.

Also, we shouldn't forget to backup, your Cryptos can be safe but inaccessible because you forgot to backup.

I'm confused. Why would you not create and store your wallet on your computer? There are a number of ways of safeguarding your keys. This way your information cannot be reached by the government.

I wouldn't advise this for cheating on your taxes - but if you live in a country where you are trying to squirrel away funds in case of a future catastrophe then why store them on an exchange which can be confiscated, or put in peril, by your government?
elenora

Activity: 95
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 23, 2018, 04:43:00 AM

Nothing comes with a 100% guarantee of Security, not even the PAID security tools. But certainly, the tips below will get you enough close to the mark and hope, this may help you.

1. Securing a Wallet is similar to securing your personal data on the computer. You have to be aware of links, advertisement, any type of attachment etc. which appears when a browser is being suffered.

2. Always create backups of your cryptocurrency wallets. So, that it will let you restore your wallet if in case your laptop or cell phone gets stolen.

3. Opening an account to buy cryptocurrency? Set up a unique E-mail id that you’re going to use for that account and never share that id with anyone.

4. Encrypt your whole device in which you are going to use cryptocurrency wallet. Make sure you have the best anti-virus installed on your device and keep it up to date including anti-malware and anti-ransomware.

5. Set up a really hard and long password where it is only able to recover from a piece of paper that you control.

6. Don’t use two-factor authentication on an SMS that could be ported. Instead, using something a bit more like Google Authenticator or yubikey would be much better.

7. Never share the name of cryptocurrency or wallet which you use on social media or with unknown people, Keep it private.

8. Diversify your risk, Buy cryptocurrency across multiple exchanges. So, that in case if one exchange is hacked other will remain accessible.

9. Always use offline wallets.

10. Always use the cold wallet to keep cryptocurrency safe off the internet and cold wallet is like the saving account. While the hot wallet is linked to the internet and should only be used for everyday transactions.

11. The decentralized system doesn’t store funds. Nobody has any access to money accept the owner of that money.

https://cointopper.com/guides/how-to-save-your-cryptocurrency-assets-from-being-hacked-in-2018
cointopper

Activity: 28
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 05, 2018, 04:56:19 AM

In this digital world, mobile phones, hard drives, laptop’s, wallets are convenient repositories but nowadays this isn’t sufficient. It’s of vital importance
to secure your crypto wallet hard for keeping your assets safe.

Here are some of the best tips to keep your crypto assets safe and secure.

1. Securing a Wallet is similar to securing your personal data on the computer. You have to be aware of links, advertisement, any type of attachment
etc. which appears when a browser is being suffered.

2. Always create backups of your cryptocurrency wallets. So, that it will let you restore your wallet if in case your laptop or cell phone gets stolen.

3. Opening an account to buy cryptocurrency? Set up a unique E-mail id that you’re going to use for that account and never share that id with anyone.

4. Encrypt your whole device in which you are going to use cryptocurrency wallet. Make sure you have the best anti-virus installed on your device and
keep it up to date including anti-malware and anti-ransomware.

5. Set up a really hard and long password where it is only able to recover from a piece of paper that you control.

To continue
upekhaanthony

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 07:47:45 AM

I personally recommend hardware wallet and my prefered version is Ledger nano s wallet. If someone could afford to hardware wallet, the best option stores a wallet that private key in your hand. if you are using MyEtherWallet, then you can use meta mask chrome extension to access the wallet. It very easy to use and safe.

boyptc

Activity: 2996
Merit: 680

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 08:40:11 PM

If you want to manage altcoin, it is best to send some of them to your local storage like USB.
Why not just buy a hardware wallet and it well serve just like what you are saying as a local storage (USB).

Get trezor or ledger s and that will be the end of the discussion. But there are also free multicurrency wallet apps like coinomi which gives you private keys too.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
Kgdktac

Activity: 322
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 08:51:18 PM

Do not give your private key or seed or password to your wallet to anyone regardless who person says he is.
Sometimes when you do airdrop, they would ask you sign a message from your wallet through the link they give you,  if you use the link they will copy the details of wallet and scam you

Punit kumar

Activity: 63
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 08:53:06 PM

Hi, I hope this will help. Find a wallet that you know have a lot of good reviews, for me it's myetherwallet. Then if you already have, don't give out to other people your private key. Save it or right it somewhere that no one can see it. Don't trust anyone. And never ever give your personal information or download anything suspicious to avoid being hacked.

Is it safe to keep the private keys on the PC unprotected or should we keep them in paper or diary? I keep them on my email but if someone can access your computer then sure they can access your mails too. So what is the most secure way of storing private keys?
cryptowisser

Activity: 252
Merit: 4

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 12:19:34 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2018, 06:06:39 PM by cryptowisser

I think it will  help all the beginners to improve there security in crytocurrencies..............

The safest way to store your airdrops are hardware & cold storage wallets. These wallets store your coins offline, and therefore protect them from being hacked. There are a number of hardware wallets available. We would advise to use the Ledger Wallet Nano S or Trezor.

Not all cryptocurrency can be stored in hardware wallets. We advise you to store your crypto in wallets where you control your private keys. You don't want your free crypto to be stolen!

To avoid scams we have a few general rules:

Never give your private keys! beware of it
    Use 2 Factor Authenticator on your wallets. it safest way to protect
    Be careful downloading wallets of smaller projects. (make sure every thing or double check it)
    Never click on links redirecting to wallets .............. its very dangerous
    Don’t use your main email address to apply for airdrops
  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Very good post sakib.bro, thank you.

In addition, you can find a list of all the available cryptocurrency-wallets and how the cryptocommunity has rated them here:
https://www.cryptowisser.com/wallets/

The above is the most extensive list of cryptocurrency in the world (that we know of at least). Is the number one wallet in the list a shocker to you or not? Smiley

Hope it helps! Good luck!

All the best,
Cryptowisser
ghermghuda

Activity: 284
Merit: 5

View Profile
July 12, 2018, 02:28:14 PM

I think the problem is safe to store the crypto is very difficult. In addition to personal protection measures like privacy. used for hardware is the best solution. but be careful and meticulous that is the main problem.
Yep. And also one needs to be vigilante of the kind of websites we visit, the olaces we tyoe our passwords, using the same password to perform so many different forms of activities and so much more. Security is always an individual's duty and so we need to be very careful.

[ CurioInvest ]: Bringing Collectables into the Digital World (https://curioinvest.com) [IEO LIVE]
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: